C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My morning commute...RANT

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I'm so glad I work from home now. I would have had a heart attack by now I swear due to bad drivers. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these cameras for when I DO have to drive. I'm amazed at crap I see on the road these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB948B2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d13_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1VRAA1G3SJETS2AE98DV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB948B2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d13_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1VRAA1G3SJETS2AE98DV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I was on a four-lane highway a few days ago doing the speed limit - 75. I pull from the driving lane into the passing lane to go around a slower driver. To my left I see a silver Toyota that slows, then pulls on into traffic in front of me doing about 30.... I can - and do - dodge her, but as I go by I tap the horn - not lay on it - she reacted as if shot. Texting? Thinking about _____? or just DWHUA.....?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Garret
I'm so glad I work from home now. I would have had a heart attack by now I swear due to bad drivers. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these cameras for when I DO have to drive. I'm amazed at crap I see on the road these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

From the reviews, I'd think more than twice before buying that particular camera.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM
84Ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garret - I was thinking about getting a camera system too. Takes all the "my story vs your story" out of the equation in the event of an accident. And I bet it would make for a funny, yet sad compilation video. I swear I could have hours of insane driving maneuvers within the week.

4thc4at60 - Yup, same situation I had, just on a 2 lane hwy. I would love to know the answer...what is going on in a person's mind to pull in front of traffic going twice your speed! And in my situation, be frothing at the mouth mad that I slowed down and didn't hit you?!?@?#!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Garret
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hameister
From the reviews, I'd think more than twice before buying that particular camera.
This is just one instance with reviews. I look at all places for reviews and look at a ton of video footage and this one seems pretty good. There are a few others to look at as well. Mobius, G1W, Garmin...there are many out there.

Check youtube for comparison video and this one looked pretty good to me.

If you have something like this you also want it to "auto loop", as in overwrite the old stuff as it keeps running. That is why no Gorpo for me, costly and they just fill up the cards. I like this because it deletes the old with just a continuous record.

Last edited by Garret; 07-15-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 AM
84Ed
Intermediate

Nice comparison video.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
roadgrader
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84Ed
Hi Everyone!

I just don't get it...or more correctly, the "other drivers" don't get it.

On my AM commute I use Rt.8 off of BPT Ave. There is a left turn only lane for the entrance and a lane on the right for going straight. The green arrow went from yellow to red as I approached (on a very busy street) so I naturally slowed down then stopped...just to be passed on the left. (car driving on the wrong side of the road going head on into traffic) Once I waited the 8 seconds for the traffic to clear, I got on the highway and about 5 cars up is the Ahole. Whatever...just shows that his impatience got him nowhere. Continue on my merry way.

Still on the highway in the left lane going about 65 ish when a saab from the slow lane jumps in front of me going about 40 ish. No biggie, I press the brake, slow in plenty of time...BUT decided to get a little close in hopes of filling his mirror with a view of "you are not the only car on the road." He moves over, as I pass he darts at me a little bit, I look over to see a rage filled man, flipping me off and mouthing *uck you *uck you."
Aiight, this commute is getting a little annoying.

Lastly, as I am about 3 blocks away from my office, I approach an intersection with broken/blinking lights. The cops decided to put out 4 stop signs. I stop, waited for the people ahead of me to go, then I go...then I almost get T boned by a woman who apparently doesn't know the definition of stop! Luckily the barrage of horns got her attention and she stopped a few feet from the door in my "hard to see AO painted car." lol

I am not some snob who would claim I have never made a mistake on the road...it happens from time to time. My rant above, unfortunately, is not something that happens every so often...it seems more the norm.
People are too busy and in too much of a rush to stay on their side of the road and obey the traffic light. Or too unaware and not concerned about others safety, or too unable to read and react to posted signage.

Sorry for the rant, but I get frustrated with my fellow drivers here in CT...and I would rather rant online then go fishtail one of these *sshats into the barrier....well, sort of

Thanks for listening...and on a positive note I did get a ton of waves from my Vette brothers this past weekend.
This is why I have a concealed carry permit.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Garret
This is just one instance with reviews....
I certainly agree, one or two instances of bad reviews are meaningless.

However, if this is true, it would turn me off completely.

One review said...."This is supposed to be a dash cam but the first page of the manual states "Do not operate or expose the camcorder to direct sunlight . . . in a closed car, especially parking in direct sunlight"

How could they manufacture, and sell a device made for the dashboard, and then say that it cannot be operated, or exposed, to direct sunlight?

Makes no sense???
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
84Ed
Intermediate

roadgrader - My wife and I will be taking the safety class this summer. Far too many loose canon's out there to not be prepared for any situation.

LOL @ dashboard cam that can't be exposed to direct sunlight...if true.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Garret
Race Director

I certainly agree, one or two instances of bad reviews are meaningless.

However, if this is true, it would turn me off completely.

One review said...."This is supposed to be a dash cam but the first page of the manual states "Do not operate or expose the camcorder to direct sunlight . . . in a closed car, especially parking in direct sunlight"

How could they manufacture, and sell a device made for the dashboard, and then say that it cannot be operated, or exposed, to direct sunlight?

Makes no sense???
I know, crazy. I wish it was a local purchase so I could test it and take it back if it's really crappy. I hate sending stuff back in the mail. I'm still undecided as I have a gopro already and should try using that first.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 PM
JOEMC08C6
Instructor

There was a time when looking forward to retirement simply meant not working, and having time to enjoy one's hobbies.

Today it's more than that. I enjoy going to Wal-Mart at 6am when I'm in and out without waiting on line at the register.

I enjoy leaving the house around 9:30 or 10:00am after all the rush hour traffic has cleared.

Going out to a restaurant Sunday through Thursday, when there is little or no wait, and reservations are not required.

Taking road trips during the slowest tourist times, when traffic is light, and hotels are all competing with their lowest rates.

Oh, by the way, I want to thank all you younger folks for paying those F.I.C.A. taxes.

That keeps my Social Security checks coming.
Hameister....I think you covered all my bases, also! Except at WalMart, ours has about four parkings that are extra wide right about 30 ft. from the entrance!! Not handicapped and on the first two you're protected by and island on one side! You can't get a better parking! I'm thinking they should be marked "Corvette Parking Only".
Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, by the way, I want to thank all you younger folks for paying those F.I.C.A. taxes.

That keeps my Social Security checks coming.
I hope I can say that some day. Not expecting it though.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

No shoppa da Wal-Mart here. Its bad for the economy, unless of course you're a Walton. But from the pictures I've seen on line it sure looks like the people that do shop there are..."Unique"...to say the least.....lOL.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Homeboy77
I hope I can say that some day. Not expecting it though.
I have absolutely no doubt that Social Security will be there for you as well.

However, believe me when I tell you that S.S. is nothing more than a nice little perk in the grand scheme of things.

You'll need to plan for retirement as though there was no S.S. at all.

Then, what you do get, is nice extra pocket money for some luxuries.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have absolutely no doubt that Social Security will be there for you as well.

However, believe me when I tell you that S.S. is nothing more than a nice little perk in the grand scheme of things.

You'll need to plan for retirement as though there was no S.S. at all.

Then, what you do get, is nice extra pocket money for some luxuries.

No wiser words have ever been spoken. That's exactly what I did all of my working life. Saved as if there were no Social Security. It was rough at first, but it paid off quite nicely.

OP, I convinced that a space ship came down, and dropped off all of their idiots. And, they ain't coming back to get 'em.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
In this day and age when behind the wheel it's better to envision yourself in a video game where all...and I mean all...drivers around you are trying to kill you.

Quick Reply: My morning commute...RANT