C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint protection

Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 PM
JJ1956
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default paint protection

I have seen the clear 3m installed on light colored cars such as silver and white. They look great. What about black? I'm thinking black would show quite a difference in the shine/patina.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

One of the things I wondered when this protection film first started becoming popular is what happens to the paint under the film? Does the paint fade at a different rate than the paint not under the film. I got my answer about 2 weeks ago at a local car event. Black C6 Z06 with the film protection on the nose an about 25% of the hood. There was a clear difference in the paint shine. The paint under the film was still looking “new” while the exposed paint was fading. I don’t know if this is the norm or if this person didn’t bother taking care of the rest of his car. But because of that difference I saw I would never get the protection film or if I did, I would spring for the entire car to be wrapped in the protection film. This way the look would at least be uniform years after.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:24 PM
CBRDude
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
One of the things I wondered when this protection film first started becoming popular is what happens to the paint under the film? Does the paint fade at a different rate than the paint not under the film. I got my answer about 2 weeks ago at a local car event. Black C6 Z06 with the film protection on the nose an about 25% of the hood. There was a clear difference in the paint shine. The paint under the film was still looking “new” while the exposed paint was fading. I don’t know if this is the norm or if this person didn’t bother taking care of the rest of his car. But because of that difference I saw I would never get the protection film or if I did, I would spring for the entire car to be wrapped in the protection film. This way the look would at least be uniform years after.
I've seen it too hose up the paint. On fiberglass too! Just picked the guy up from the paint shop. He said water got under the film.

One of the guys I work with had it installed on his red Porsche. Hosed his paint too. He was afraid to take it for fear the paint would come too.

I think at that point it was too late? Damage had already been done.

I've also seen it turn yellow.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

I would be surprised if skilled paint correction wouldn't take care of the problem, but I didn't see it. Thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To paint protection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paint protection