C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how strong is a LS3 block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how strong is a LS3 block?

how strong is the LS3 block compared to LS2 block and LS7?

thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Is the LS3 a wet sump or a dry sump? Dry sump LS3's have a forged crank with a longer snout to accommodate the two stage oil pump that is part of the dry sump system. A good question is what does the LS3 have in common and how does it compare to the same sized LS9.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:51 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Is the LS3 a wet sump or a dry sump? Dry sump LS3's have a forged crank with a longer snout to accommodate the two stage oil pump that is part of the dry sump system. A good question is what does the LS3 have in common and how does it compare to the same sized LS9.
Sir that's a far I way from what I'm asking I had a friend that ready to built an 1200HP car without replacing the block thats why I asked, wanna know if the LS3 block can handle it or not, his goal is FI.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Careful on the boost. They're very touchy. I've seen more than one LS block explode under FI. Several of them multiple times.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by baro0k@eXtermination
Sir that's a far I way from what I'm asking I had a friend that ready to built an 1200HP car without replacing the block thats why I asked, wanna know if the LS3 block can handle it or not, his goal is FI.
That's why I am suggesting that a more appropriate comparison might be the LS9 because it shares many of its dimensions wit the LS3, the LS7 has many differences from both the LS3 and LS9. The LS9 in stock form has the highest power density so it figures to be the most robust. Accordingly, it would seem to be more relevant to explore the similarities and differences between the LS3 and its more similar brother, the LS9, than what the LS3 has in common with its cousin, the not so similar LS7. Besides, the LS3 has proven very suitable for forced induction whereas the mor highly stressed LS7 seems to be a bit trickier to boost.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
That's why I am suggesting that a more appropriate comparison might be the LS9 because it shares many of its dimensions wit the LS3, the LS7 has many differences from both the LS3 and LS9. The LS9 in stock form has the highest power density so it figures to be the most robust. Accordingly, it would seem to be more relevant to explore the similarities and differences between the LS3 and its more similar brother, the LS9, than what the LS3 has in common with its cousin, the not so similar LS7. Besides, the LS3 has proven very suitable for forced induction whereas the mor highly stressed LS7 seems to be a bit trickier to boost.
everything you said is great and how much power dose the LS3 and LS9 can handle?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Careful on the boost. They're very touchy. I've seen more than one LS block explode under FI. Several of them multiple times.
actually I'm running LS7 with D1SC without any issue stock end bottom and also car 720whp race it every weekend and still doing good!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:10 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

The LS3 is the same block used for the ZR1....they used that block because of the thickness between the cylinders that the LS9 does NOT have. The LS3 is a SUBSTANTIAL motor and will handle the boost from a Supercharger.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

If you're talking the blocks themselves: all LS blocks are very similar and have significant bottom end strength.

When you get into blown applications, you will need to be concerned with the heads lifting. This is why GM added an extra head bolt on their aftermarket LSX block.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
If you're talking the blocks themselves: all LS blocks are very similar and have significant bottom end strength.

When you get into blown applications, you will need to be concerned with the heads lifting. This is why GM added an extra head bolt on their aftermarket LSX block.
Aha now I see, thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Use the latest LS3 block you can get. The block has had casting changes since it's introduction in '08 to improve strength and crankcase breathing.

Although I don't know for a fact, but if the LS9 uses a slightly different casting, it was likely for additional strength. Again, get the latest version.

Resistance to cracking by radiusing/polishing sharp edges can be done on either block and it's possible that was part of the build process for a LS9.

If more strength is needed, use an iron LSX block like Snake Oiler noted.

Get notified of new replies

To how strong is a LS3 block?

Quick Reply: how strong is a LS3 block?