C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wax

Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
airspeed
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Default car wax

Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.
I happen to use Adams. I have been using it since 2006 and I have not changed.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an unopened bottle with your name on it if you pay for shipping. PM me.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:18 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 907 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Firefighter84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends on what your looking for in a wax.

All the stuff I use now is pretty much from Griot's. Expensive and some stuff works well others aren't so good, I don't care for their soap (Gold class is cheaper and comes in large jugs for the same price). If you do decide to use the Best of Show wax remember a little goes a long way. I've always applied too much and removing it is a PITA. Using the small amount and the griot's buffer makes removal easy now. I learned you could also spray some speed shine to help remove the residue as well.

Everyone has their favorites and I'm just starting to learn about keeping the paint looking nice. You have to start somewhere and learn as you go. Look under "Car Care" under General Topics for advice and help as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used it but I like the Meguires NXT. Seems easier to remove and brighter shine. But as others have said it's very subjective.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....

Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.

What duckvett said, except with perhaps one more "very" as to how thin the coat should be.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....
You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.
I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.
Yeah that would be silly. I rotate whatever I'm in the mood to use.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.
+1 - Adam's is what I use. Great product.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.
If you're really into details, certain products can make a huge difference in Black. Unfortunately the difference makers aren't cheap.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BWF07

Hey Jack, so now I know your secret you use Adams products. Guess I'll have to use them too so I can keep up with you.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i use what i used on my 67 vette back in 71. liquid glass. there are so many good waxes and polishes out there that will leave you confused as to what is the best.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it is a PITA to use, it shines like crazy but does not last. I use mine if I am willing to spend hours on the car. there are many other options that are easier and faster to use. you can't go wrong with most of the shelf products, among the easiest is Rejex (although it is not a wax) I use the H... out of it.

Get notified of new replies

To car wax

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 PM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with all comments regarding Griots Best of Show. No matter how thin applied, unless you use detailing spray it is ridiculous to remove. They really need to change their formula. I recently used some Mothers Gold Carnuba for grins, was a breeze to apply and remove.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Best of Show wax and apply it with the Griots machine. I have never had a problem removing it. It is and awesome wax, very durable and makes washing a breeze. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by airspeed
Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html

One of many great lines we carry for our forum friends. Visit our car care forum or the car care area of this forum for help as needed. We are also available by phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car wax