C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit the Motherload of Warning Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Default Hit the Motherload of Warning Lights!

First I get a flat tire warning that turned out to be for the wrong tire (all four sensors are set for the wrong tires). Then, on the way to Texas, I get "service antilock brakes", "service active handling", and "service traction control" lights on mt dash. The latest problem is a piece of interior trim has broken.

My 2009 Z51 Coupe was trouble free for four years!

Taking it to the dealer on Thursday. Thankful for the warranty!

Rant off.

BobD
Old 08-02-2014, 03:19 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I am going to save you and your tech a lot of trouble. The problem is in the High Speed Data Bus connectors (big blue connectors) that are in the passengers footwell. You have several pins that are loose. I have my car in the shop right now for the same reason. They are repinning both connectors.....

I am sure your gages stoped working and the car told you it was low on fuel and service engine soon... but it was running fine... If you turned it off all would be well for days. Then poof it all starts up again.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My first thought too.

Those big blue connectors can trigger all sorts of warnings/failures when the connections become intermittent.

Good luck with your Dealer.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

That is great information to know. Thanks for passing along
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
I am going to save you and your tech a lot of trouble. The problem is in the High Speed Data Bus connectors (big blue connectors) that are in the passengers footwell. You have several pins that are loose. I have my car in the shop right now for the same reason. They are repinning both connectors.....

I am sure your gages stoped working and the car told you it was low on fuel and service engine soon... but it was running fine... If you turned it off all would be well for days. Then poof it all starts up again.
Those connectors and others, often get a very thin film of oxidation on the contacts, and then the intermittent condition causes all kinds of weird chit.

Most often just pulling the contacts apart, then pushing them together again, perhaps a dozen or so times will cause a "wiping" action between the contacts.
This will clean them, and you're good to go again for another few years.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Tell the tech to check that first (data bus above) and if thats the solution to the problem. Just walk away.....saying I thought it was that just wanted to make sure....
Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same deal here, lift up the passenger floor board, unplug and plug back in the big blue connectors. Repeat about 5/8 times to ensure a positive connection. Then go get some rubber erasers and glue them to the sides where the floorboard meets the floor. The erasers will act as spacers to prevent the floor board from making contact with the connectors. Worked for me, good luck.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I had all the same lights and turned out to be EBCM, electronic brake control module...
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
I had all the same lights and turned out to be EBCM, electronic brake control module...
+1 here. . The dealer replaced the EBCM and I was rocking and rolling.. gl
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
First I get a flat tire warning that turned out to be for the wrong tire (all four sensors are set for the wrong tires). Then, on the way to Texas, I get "service antilock brakes", "service active handling", and "service traction control" lights on mt dash. The latest problem is a piece of interior trim has broken.

Rant off.

BobD
Bob,

Sincere apologies to read about your warning lights illuminating. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've proactively reached out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Feel free to keep us posted on the process if possible, and message me privately if additional assistance is needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I got "service antilock brakes", "service active handling", and "service traction control" lights but I also got ICE Possible.
There seams be a lot of this going around, mine only happens during the first acceleration until today 4 times during accelerating, but I couldn't get it to act up after that.

Last edited by Flying24; 08-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How's your battery?

Do you have telescoping steering column?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
How's your battery?

Do you have telescoping steering column?
Battery always reads 13.8 plus all the time and I do not have a telescoping SW.
This ICE possible message I'm receiving along with the traction ones make me think loose or corroded pins in my EBCM. Only happen when get above 30 and then quits usually one hick up but had 4 of them the last time out. Then the next 20 miles no issues. I also it's a 2008 which is a Delphi part, the next year Corvette changed to another Company.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Genuine question - How does the 'ice possible' message fit in? I was under the impression that was just based on OAT?

All the others I can fathom a link but how does that fit in? That would lead me more down the idea of a voltage/connector/ground issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
Genuine question - How does the 'ice possible' message fit in? I was under the impression that was just based on OAT?

All the others I can fathom a link but how does that fit in? That would lead me more down the idea of a voltage/connector/ground issue.
I honestly don't know, what identifies that ice maybe possible. Still maybe part of the traction system.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

So you have the original battery?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
So you have the original battery?
No I have an Optima Red Top which is 2.5 years old. But I have heard people having problems with Optima since they moved to Mex. Also I only drive it maybe 4000 miles a year and I have never had a tender on it. But it starts right up each time, then again I only get the DIC messages within the first 10 minutes of driving.

Just put a meter on it and it's 12.1 volts. I haven't started it in 2 days

Last edited by Flying24; 08-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the Service Active Handling, Service Traction Control, Service Antilock Brakes errors show up on my DIC as well. I have an '07 coupe. I had just put on front brake spindle ducts and I was sure it had to be a ABS connector... I pulled the wheels and re-checked. All was fine. Cleaned and re-seated anyway. Problem stayed intermittently.

Finally, I reset my personal preferences so that the steering column would NOT retract on exit. I programmed it so the steering column never moves. PROBLEM SOLVED. There's a small rake-like connector for the steering pos sensor that is known to cause these errors as well. I'm not saying that re-seating the Big Blue connectors (Data Bus) is a bad idea. It's a good idea, but don't discount other possible sensor connections as well. Too much damn computer control in these cars, but when it saves your bacon, you're glad it's there!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by FiremanC6

Rant off.

BobD
Turns out the problem was an ABS Sensor in the right front wheel bearing hub. Hub & sensor replaced under warranty and problem solved.

BobD

Get notified of new replies

To Hit the Motherload of Warning Lights!

Quick Reply: Hit the Motherload of Warning Lights!