C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on NAV system route types.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Question on NAV system route types.

I have a 2013 with NAV and would like to know what the "Normal" route is. It always gives me the option of 3 different routes - Quickest, Normal, and Shortest. What is the "Normal" route based on and how does it calculate it?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 09-21-2014, 01:30 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked it up in Pauls tutorial. He suggests as a general rule to use "normal", however it doesn't state why criteria the computer uses in formulating the different routes.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:31 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

I saw Paul's recommendation too. Not sure I agree with it. I've found Fastest route to generally be the most efficient and the Normal route more scenic.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No scientific study, but Normal seems to use major roads/Interstates as it's primary choice when available.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

I usually have the NAV preferences set to avoid major highways and often use Quickest for the route to a destination and the Normal for the return route -- especially if I'm not in a hurry to get back. The change in scenery is enjoyable, and as you say, the Normal perhaps takes a few less different roads (more main roads?) than Quickest.

If I'm taking a major trip I'll exclusively select "Use major highways" and the Quickest route -- "Normal" seems to be a bit more unpredictable on those occasions (when I want to minimize travel time).
Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have only "major highways" selected, and use Quickest Route for the majority of the time. I always do a Route Preview in 1/2 mile scale just to be sure that it takes me on the highways that I want to go on.
If it doesn't then I'll make adjustments as required to the quickest route, or re-select either normal or shortest route rather than quickest.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I use Quick 99% of the time. Just thinking about how I would write the software:

Short is easy - take an alley if it is shorter than going around on the Interstate. I have confirmed that this is pretty much what it does. This is often the slowest but typically uses less gas.

Quick would check the speed limits and take the back road only if it was long enough to overcome the slower speed than the Interstate. This works well for people who drive the speed limit but I sometimes deviate because I don't.

Normal takes the Interstate if possible since that is where most people go.

But all fo that is just a guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on NAV system route types.

Quick Reply: Question on NAV system route types.