C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse # 10 - Dual Mode Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuse # 10 - Dual Mode Exhaust

So where is fuse # 10 in my 2011 GS? I heard I can pull it so my exhaust is open all the time. Under the hood or under the panel in passenger cockpit??
Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was under the foot panel in passenger cockpit
Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 383LPE
mine was under the foot panel in passenger cockpit
That's where it is, near the bottom of the panel, right side, not sure how it's labeled.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:32 PM
383LPE
Drifting

BTW, I put the fuse back in almost immediately. I couldn't sense any discernible benefit in exhaust note and wanted to maintain some backpressure for proper torque.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

BTW, I put the fuse back in almost immediately. I couldn't sense any discernible benefit in exhaust note and wanted to maintain some backpressure for proper torque.
Couldn't sense any discernible benefit in exhaust note?

Sounding like a performance V8 isn't a benefit over sounding like a 4 cylinder import?

Backpressure for proper torque?

Not enough backpressure difference for Chevy to change computer fuel/spark settings between open and closed.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 PM
383LPE
Drifting

as soon as you marginally put your foot on the pedal its all open anyway. the idea that good ole boy engineering like pulling a fuse is a waste of time and an insult to GM engineers.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

as soon as you marginally put your foot on the pedal its all open anyway. the idea that good ole boy engineering like pulling a fuse is a waste of time and an insult to GM engineers.
Not so. It will open at ~3500 RPM or when the vacuum signal drops enough (like a full throttle launch).

If you can't hear the difference, maybe your's isn't closing to start with.

I have the M2W foot switch, and there's a clear and discernible difference in the sound - both at low speeds and highway speeds.

As to pulling the fuse being an insult to the GM Engineers, perhaps they had the brains to see what their customers would want, and gave us an easy way to get the sounds that many of us crave (except when the better half is in the car).

This short video shows the valves closed and open - and it seems obvious to me when they open.

Steven

Last edited by OldCorvetteFan; 10-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:50 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I pulled my fuse in July to see what it was like, and it is still out today. Been too lazy to get a Mild 2 Wild switch.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

the idea that good ole boy engineering like pulling a fuse is a waste of time and an insult to GM engineers.
The reason there is an NPP option is federal law has noise standards for cars and trucks ( http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/noise/ ).The Corvette couldn't pass those standards with open mufflers. What to do, what to do. OK, there is a loophole that the law applies to driving past a measuring station at various speeds. It doesn't say you have to accelerate past the station. So if we keep it quiet at low RPM we can pass the test and then open it up under acceleration, we can give our customers what they want no matter what the tree-huggers say. Yes, back pressure will change the way an engine operates and at times, more pressure can mean more torque. But the C6 engines were designed for very little back pressure to begin with. In this case, opening the second pair of mufflers increases torque at least at high RPM as evidenced by the 6hp increase claimed for NPP.

I'm thinking the GM engineers wanted people to discover that fuse. It would have been less expensive and easier to just tap into an existing circuit for power. But they allocated a separate fuse for NPP. Then they made the system normally open so that it would be noisy with no power rather than require power to open it up. It would have been very drivable and more compliant with the intent of the law to make it need power to open. But they knew GM wouldn't be in trouble for making a car that broke the law if it only broke the law in a failure condition. The government would be in a bad legal position if they try to say the car has to obey the law even with failed components. GM built a car that would pass the legal requirements. If it "fails" due to improper maintenance by the owner (not replacing a blown fuse) that isn't GM's fault. wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
Not so. It will open at ~3500 RPM or when the vacuum signal drops enough (like a full throttle launch).

If you can't hear the difference, maybe your's isn't closing to start with.

I have the M2W foot switch, and there's a clear and discernible difference in the sound - both at low speeds and highway speeds.

As to pulling the fuse being an insult to the GM Engineers, perhaps they had the brains to see what their customers would want, and gave us an easy way to get the sounds that many of us crave (except when the better half is in the car).

This short video shows the valves closed and open - and it seems obvious to me when they open.
Pull the Fuse on your C6 Corvette's Dual Mode Exhaust - YouTube

Steven
100% agree!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:55 AM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Call it what you will... I have a M@W switch for one reason.... The sound. It does make a difference. A huge one.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the foot M2W switch for sale $35.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:20 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Yes - there is a difference. And it is not so overly obnoxious when your Corvette is still stock as compared to open with cam/headers, etc.

I think it sounds much better with the Fuse #10 Pulled, allowing the butterfly valves to be in the always open position.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuse is under the floor mat in the passenger side footwell. There is a noticible difference in sound with the fuse in or out but the difference is much less if you are sitting at idle. If you pull the fuse and the hit the accelerator a bit you can't miss the difference. If you still can't hear a difference then check to make sure you are pulling the correct fuse.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

New here so be kind My new to me, 2011 GS has a key fob that actuates the silent choice mode back and forth, doesn't it come with all Vettes ?
NSF
Old 10-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I pulled the fuse the day I got my new GS home,hasn't been in since,it's an iconic American sports car,it should sound like one all the time. IMO
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I pulled the fuse the day I got my new GS home,hasn't been in since,it's an iconic American sports car,it should sound like one all the time. IMO
Yup!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
New here so be kind My new to me, 2011 GS has a key fob that actuates the silent choice mode back and forth, doesn't it come with all Vettes ?
NSF
No....the fob you have was part of an after market device called a "midl to wild" system that you can order and install your vehicle.....allows you to open and close the dampers on the exhaust system. Very simple to hook up!!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:14 PM
bamauto
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse # 10 - Dual Mode Exhaust

MY 2012 C6 GS Fuse # 10 for the Dual Exhaust Mode keeps blowing..Seems like a dead short to ground.. Any Thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse # 10 - Dual Mode Exhaust

Quick Reply: Fuse # 10 - Dual Mode Exhaust