C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely disabling Active Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Completely disabling Active Handling?

Yesterday I noticed that the DIC was saying "service active handling" message on my 08 c6 z06. Then it went away, came back a few minutes later. I am interested in disabling this system completely. My last corvette was wrecked due to a faulty steering position sensor when active handling kicked in at 60mph on the highway. I know the risks and the dangers of disabling active handling, but I am fine with that, I much rather have an accident due to my fault than because there was a problem/malfunction with active handling. I have read something about unplugging the steering position sensor or the YAW sensor/box behind the stereo units? Which method would allow me to keep ABS without no chance of active handling kicking in?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Instead of trying to disable the system, pull the codes to figure out what the problem is that needs to be fixed instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
dh88 (09-22-2020), _05C6_ (01-15-2016)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM
awschucks
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Active Handling

I have rebuilt several C6's that have had the active handling pull the car hard right and then a crash. All had an error code for the Active handling.
One was a 07 Convert that rolled three times after turning hard right. There has been a lot written about this and yet not a lot of good answers. On my C6, I have bypassed the ABS pump with a simple resistor so the system thinks the pump is there, so no codes and no hard right turns by computer. The connector going to the steering wheel position sensor seems to be the real issue. I guess one alternative is to replace the connector with a hard connection. (solder) No fretting, no bimetal issues etc. ( my professional background is connection reliability testing for Bell Labs.)

Remember the good old days when you had to 'pump' the brakes when it was slippery? I would rather get myself in trouble, rather than have the car suddenly pull to the right and crash it for me. Oh by the way, I do not drive this car in the winter.

There was a thread in the 07 time frame with a TON of people saying, 'YA, I was driving along and my car just turned to the right, into a gas station. All by itself. I guess it needed gas" . Lots of comments like that. I remember someone saying he was such a good driver that even if he was going 80 on a country two lane road and the right ABS came on he could easily overcontrol it. RIGHT. Wrong. By the time he figured out he was sideways it would be a little late.

Here's one that I just finished that went hard right for about 180 degrees and took out the left front:

I have been driving in Minnesota for over 60 years and no accidents. I do wear my seatbelt and learned to drive before ABS and Active handling. MN has some of the worst winter driving and you can survive if you drive within your limits. I helped out a friend and drove his semi for years part time. Try driving an 18 wheeler on pure ice. Been there as well.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited by awschucks; 10-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I assure you ABS and stability control have saved lives/crashes than they caused by orders of magnitude.

Reminds me of my buddy who won't wear a seatbelt because it trapped his buddy in a burning car or something like that.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I don't think that it is possible to disable active handling while still leaving ABS intact.
If you telescope the steering wheel often, it is more likely to have problems with the connector on the column. It shouldn't be this way, granted, but it is what it is. Best to put the wheel where you like it and leave it there.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

I completely agree and understand that active handling has saved people on countless occasions, I however do not intend to disable the ABS, just active handling. I dont drive the car in winter and try to avoid rain. I read that pulling the steering position sensor will disable active handling while still leaving ABS to function normally. If anyone can confirm that doing so will disable AH while leaving ABS on it will be of great help.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I should have been more clear. It may be that AH can be disabled by just disconnecting something. I didn't think it could be disabled without producing codes and the CEL. If you don't mind doing it every time you restart the car, you can disable it with the button on the console though.

I don't think I could drive a car with the check engine light permanently illuminated though.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C 5
I completely agree and understand that active handling has saved people on countless occasions, I however do not intend to disable the ABS, just active handling. I dont drive the car in winter and try to avoid rain. I read that pulling the steering position sensor will disable active handling while still leaving ABS to function normally. If anyone can confirm that doing so will disable AH while leaving ABS on it will be of great help.

Did you ever pull the Steering wheel sensor? I am interested in the same thing. keeping ABS but getting rid of AHS.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by napp e roots
Did you ever pull the Steering wheel sensor? I am interested in the same thing. keeping ABS but getting rid of AHS.
No, unfortunately my brother took the car out and active handling locked up the rear brakes of the car at 70mph and totaled it.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You can turn off active handling with the button on your console.

The system has four modes.

Mode 1 is the default when you turn the car on. Full traction control and full active handling.

Mode 2 is one press of the button which is traction control off Active Handling on.

Mode 3 is two presses in five seconds. This is traction control off and active handling in competitive driving mode which will give you greater tolerances for sliding sideways (what you want on a road course)

Mode 4 is to press and hold for greater than five seconds. This will be traction control and active handling off. No intervention from either system.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Also, if you are getting the "service active handling" in the DIC, active handling is disabled at that time because it detected a fault.

So you are good, you can clear it off the DIC by selecting something else after it comes on. I had this with my Cadillac, so I "assume" you can clear it from the DIC in the corvette as well. Good luck, but I'd replace the item that is coding personally. I did on my Caddy for sure.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:35 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Old thread returns from dead. I was concerned reading the earlier post about a Vette making a hard turn to right which caused it to roll. Is this really possible if you don't skid into a curb or similar barrier?

I'd think the low CoG and general safety design would have us skidding sideways rather than flipping or doing endo's.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:44 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
One guy in the recall sticky for this had the brakes lock up on him with everything turned off I drive with everything off but when I heard that I am going to disable the system
Old 01-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by napp e roots
One guy in the recall sticky for this had the brakes lock up on him with everything turned off I drive with everything off but when I heard that I am going to disable the system
If you use the console button to do it, you'll have to do it every time the engine is started.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:01 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you use the console button to do it, you'll have to do it every time the engine is started.
When you have the AHS failure it activates the brakes whether it was turned off or not. The failure causes an overide of the button. That is why people are asking how to completely disable the electronic sensors for AH.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 PM
sebring
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give a little more insight:
If one or more TPMS sensors fails while driving, the car enters what I call a super fail safe mode and the AH will kick in at very modest speeds while turning (like 40 MPH) and that can really upset the car. This happens even if you already chose to disable AH using the button on the center console. So despite what mode you choose via the console button, if it enters the super fail safe mode, the car will override your decision and AH will kick in. Not sure if this was the issue for the OP.
If you want to make sure AH NEVER kicks in, then you must physically disconnect it. A few different ways to do this. Disconnect Yaw sensor on the steering column (keeps ABS active), or pull 2 fuses in the engine bay (kills ABS too), or disconnect the Yaw sensor behind the radio (not sure). See the following post "Active handling defeated!" for details:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html

HTH
Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I assure you ABS and stability control have saved lives/crashes than they caused by orders of magnitude.

Reminds me of my buddy who won't wear a seatbelt because it trapped his buddy in a burning car or something like that.
Great point by the mistakenly-labelled Village Idiot. Listen to him.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Paris:
Corvette_Ed (09-18-2020), village idiot (09-22-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Completely disabling Active Handling?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by HecatesChild
(I know, holy reviving of old thread)

So glad to have seen this..

used to do SCCA club racing, and have grown up with high power to weight RWD and AWD cars. Because of this, I normally drive with AH + TC off via button since (like most of these systems) when you know how to drive, the AH ends up doing the opposite what you are doing to correct it, which ends up pointing you towards the guard rail if you aren't careful. I'm sure the AH (when functioning correctly and not trying to kill you) is a fine system for drivers not accustomed to high power to weight ratio cars or for surprise situations for most drivers.

I do like that now the AH is permanently disabled, but the TC can optionally be turned on via the button, as it seems to be (from my quick test around the block with steering sensor unplugged) *just* helpful enough to prevent some slip, without just KILLING the throttle completely like some cars (my old FRS with a 5.29 Final Drive ratio in it)

Oh and the "it can't go into deadly fail mode and try to kill me" is an added benefit!!!!

So sick of drivers "aids" trying to kill experienced drivers... e.g. the old 2g Mitsubishi Eclipse GST had a crazy one.. it had a governor on the FWD version (but not AWD version) because of tire rating at time of sale, to 135 MPH. Once you had modified the car where it could do well past that, if you actually let it hit the limiter under full throttle, the car, due to limiter, completely fuel cutting, ended up nearly locking up the front wheels and torque steering (unequal length half shafts only on FWD) quickly into oncoming traffic. I personally tested it (prepared for it the unpredictability of it) both it engaging, and how to remove it (thanks Todd Day) for a factory ECU (clip both resistors in the ECU) to make the ECU think it is in an AWD. And I know the requirement is NHTSA, but the implementation could be deadly, vs just progressively pulling timing, until the speed is below the limiter, so it isn't "ALL" of a sudden.

Auto makers really, need to think about what these "aids" and "failsafes" actually do, when driving the vehicle, as many of them are scary, dangerous, and/or downright negligent in some failure modes.. Of course Boeing made the same mistake on a 737 Max, so I guess it isn't just the car industry that has the engineers too far from the actual usage of the vehicle

This should be a sticky on the normal tips/tricks page (with appropriate disclaimers that, like most cars 10 or 20 yrs ago), the driver is responsible for keeping the car in control.

Thanks again,
Christine
You should have left this zombie thread dead. As Bob and VI have accurately pointed out AH and TC have saved more lives than taken, and that's a proven fact if you care to look up the stats. Just because you have SCCA experience doesn't mean everyone does. In fact more people who own Corvettes and other high HP cars do not have track experience than do. Your response is nothing more than arrogant ramblings of someone who felt the need to boast on a forum that doesn't give a **** about what you think, or what you think you can do. Not a single person here cares about what a Mitsubishi Eclipse can or can't do. Let us know when you're capable of sliding 70's
muscle cars that have no nannies around tight mountain roads like many of us have. Then you might have a point to make. Until then please leave the zombie threads alone. They prefer to rest in peace.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You should have left this zombie thread dead. As Bob and VI have accurately pointed out AH and TC have saved more lives than taken, and that's a proven fact if you care to look up the stats. Just because you have SCCA experience doesn't mean everyone does. In fact more people who own Corvettes and other high HP cars do not have track experience than do. Your response is nothing more than arrogant ramblings of someone who felt the need to boast on a forum that doesn't give a **** about what you think, or what you think you can do. Not a single person here cares about what a Mitsubishi Eclipse can or can't do. Let us know when you're capable of sliding 70's
muscle cars that have no nannies around tight mountain roads like many of us have. Then you might have a point to make. Until then please leave the zombie threads alone. They prefer to rest in peace.
Lol, I know national championship winning drivers (2, actually) and many VERY good pro drivers. They all keep AH and TC on when driving on the street. Chit just happens on the street. You're sipping your coffee. You're not driving at full attention like you do on the track. You have one hand on the wheel. You aren't expecting things. And AH isn't what it was in 1999. I'd venture to say exactly zero people are safer without ABS or AH in a modern car. SCCA or not.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:15 AM
GeorgeC6base
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awschucks
I have rebuilt several C6's that have had the active handling pull the car hard right and then a crash. All had an error code for the Active handling.
One was a 07 Convert that rolled three times after turning hard right. There has been a lot written about this and yet not a lot of good answers. On my C6, I have bypassed the ABS pump with a simple resistor so the system thinks the pump is there, so no codes and no hard right turns by computer. The connector going to the steering wheel position sensor seems to be the real issue. I guess one alternative is to replace the connector with a hard connection. (solder) No fretting, no bimetal issues etc. ( my professional background is connection reliability testing for Bell Labs.)

Remember the good old days when you had to 'pump' the brakes when it was slippery? I would rather get myself in trouble, rather than have the car suddenly pull to the right and crash it for me. Oh by the way, I do not drive this car in the winter.

There was a thread in the 07 time frame with a TON of people saying, 'YA, I was driving along and my car just turned to the right, into a gas station. All by itself. I guess it needed gas" . Lots of comments like that. I remember someone saying he was such a good driver that even if he was going 80 on a country two lane road and the right ABS came on he could easily overcontrol it. RIGHT. Wrong. By the time he figured out he was sideways it would be a little late.

Here's one that I just finished that went hard right for about 180 degrees and took out the left front:

I have been driving in Minnesota for over 60 years and no accidents. I do wear my seatbelt and learned to drive before ABS and Active handling. MN has some of the worst winter driving and you can survive if you drive within your limits. I helped out a friend and drove his semi for years part time. Try driving an 18 wheeler on pure ice. Been there as well.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Do you have the details on adding the resistor to simulate ABS motor present? type and where you added yours. I also wonder if the heavy braking on one side was initiated by the active handling system and not the ABS system.... what do you think??

I had my 05 C6 send me into a spin (which felt like it came out of no where) on a moderate turn doing maybe 50 mph. Makes me wonder what really caused it.

Quick Reply: Completely disabling Active Handling?