C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS problem

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default TPMS problem

I think I know the answer, but you guys never fail to amaze me with your knowledge so here it goes. 13 GS, 9k, wheels have never been off the car. I needed to add a few pounds to each tire because of the drop in temps lately. I used a handheld gauge to bring each one up to 30 psi. Tonight on the way to work (1st time driving the car after air pressure adjustment) the RF tire was showing 3-4 psi lower than tall the others. I thought maybe I had missed one and stopped to add air to the RF tire and get a high pressure warning for the LF tire. RF TPMS showed no change in reading. So I guess the front sensors are backwards from the factory. Is there any way to reset the system, or am I off to a dealer tomorrow ?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM
mch28
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire rack sill has these for $20. Can reprogram them yourself.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=177
Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by mch28
Tire rack sill has these for $20. Can reprogram them yourself.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=177

Tool will work fine for the 2013 GS, but you have to use the HHR2009 setting, since the tool only goes up to 2009 in the Vet settings. The 2010 to 2013 vets use the same TPMS as the HHR did in 2009.

Next if you don't want to own the tool (you should and $30 with shipping is a steal)d, Discount tire, or the dealer will reset the TPMS for free. Discount does this a free services, while the dealer will cover it under warranty.

Since the car is under warranty, I would have the dealer relearn them to the car so the DIC shows them in the correct location, as well as check them to make sure that they are showing the correct pressure (may have a bad TPMS that is not showing the correct tire pressure, which should be at least within a few lbs).
Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Dumb question, does the dealer use a TPMS tool, or will a Tech II do it ? I have one, but need to get the software updated. The last update was for 2011.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Dumb question, does the dealer use a TPMS tool, or will a Tech II do it ? I have one, but need to get the software updated. The last update was for 2011.
TPMS tool.

And as long as your TPMS tool has a GM HHR 2009 setting, your set for your 2013 vet.
If you have a 2010 or up Vet setting, will work as well. The TPMS are the same from 2010 to 2013.

As for resetting the TPMS, pull the car out into the driveway where it wide open, shut the car off, pop the door open, press the bottom of the start button for about 15 seconds to put the car into ACC mode, put the fob next to the shifter and press the lock and unlock button at the same time until the car honks (leave the fob by the shifter), get out and set the tool to HHR 2009, and start triggering the car to learn the TPMS in this order.
Note, trigger the TPMS one at a time, and when the car learns it, it will honk the horn. When it learns the last one (driver rear), it will honk the horn twice. and you have about 2 mins to get the first tire triggered once the car is in TPMS relearn mode before the system times out.

Order to trigger the TPMS, and the car will honk when it learns the first three (read trigger the TPMS in the tire, when the car honks, go trigger the next one), then the car will hook twice when it learns the last one to tell that its done.

Driver front tire first,
Passenger's front tire second,
Passenger's rear tire third,
Drivers rear tire last.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-10-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:15 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Americas Tire (Discount Tire in some areas) just handled a similar problem on my 2007. Right front showed low but when I checked it manually, it was fine. A few days later I got a message that said right front was flat and had 9# of air. The tire was not flat. I went to Americas Tire for a new TPMS. They quoted $70 installed and had them in stock. I was happy and gave them the go ahead. The guy came back to me 10 minutes later and said my existing sensor tested fine. He re programmed it and set the pressure in all of my tires and did not charge me anything. It has been fine ever since. I was not an existing customer but I will be going back there when I need tires.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Thanks for all the help, looks like I will have to add a TPMS tool to my toolbox. You can never have too many tools ! The problem seemed to have resolved itself on my drive home this morning, all tires were reading 32 psi. If I get a chance over the weekend I will try to "flatten" the tires one by one to make sure the right sensors match up to the right wheels.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

My '13 came from Museum delivery incorrect. They were left side and right side instead of front and rear. I think a lot of our cars were not set at the factory from what I've read here.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I get a laugh and many more!

Originally Posted by Cratchet
My '13 came from Museum delivery incorrect. They were left side and right side instead of front and rear. I think a lot of our cars were not set at the factory from what I've read here.
I get a laugh and many more when Vette owners say to get a musuem delivery and they will solve all the problems. If that was so, that $500 for a museum delivery would have been a bargin with my over two actual pages of warranty problems, the musuem could have made a tank car full of lemonade. They would have been a complete failure with my lemon car that GM went to all strides to keep from buying back.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I get a laugh and many more when Vette owners say to get a musuem delivery and they will solve all the problems. If that was so, that $500 for a museum delivery would have been a bargin with my over two actual pages of warranty problems, the musuem could have made a tank car full of lemonade. They would have been a complete failure with my lemon car that GM went to all strides to keep from buying back.
At least my car wasn't washed by the dealer crew with a mop and bucket of sand. That counts!

Not sure where they forgot to program all the TPMS's at the factory but it seems to have been a missed step.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Has anyone been on a factory tour and seen where they program the TPMS to the car?

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS problem