C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squealing with Hawk Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Brake Squealing with Hawk Pads

Ugh this is annoying. I read enough on the forum that they squeal sometimes when stock and that simply changing them to different pads is supposed to shut them up. My brakes even after changing pads they still like to squeal on light braking, and in my opinion, are even worse. Thoughts? These are what are on the car now..."Hawk Performance Ceramic Street Brake Pads".

Hard braking they're fine, light braking (basically normal braking) it's annoying/embarassing.

Car is a non-Z51/GS.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Corvettelove
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the squealing on my GS with stock pads, I to read all about the big pricey pads taking care of the problem but I went to autozone and paid 54 bucks for duralast gold series pads. I havnt heard a peep since the change
Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettelove
I had the squealing on my GS with stock pads, I to read all about the big pricey pads taking care of the problem but I went to autozone and paid 54 bucks for duralast gold series pads. I havnt heard a peep since the change
That's what I'm doing when it's time.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

My AC Delco ceramics have been silent for 2 years.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:44 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettelove

That's what I did before I got 500 miles on my 013 G S, I put DuraLast Gold (I'd put them on other Corvettes in the past) on all 4 wheels, a little white dust first 50 miles, that point on clean as a whistle, not a sound. No more having to clean wheels every time I take a short drive. $86
Old 10-13-2014, 03:57 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Ugh this is annoying. I read enough on the forum that they squeal sometimes when stock and that simply changing them to different pads is supposed to shut them up. My brakes even after changing pads they still like to squeal on light braking, and in my opinion, are even worse. Thoughts? These are what are on the car now..."Hawk Performance Ceramic Street Brake Pads".

Hard braking they're fine, light braking (basically normal braking) it's annoying/embarassing.

Car is a non-Z51/GS.
I have a GS with the same pads. Not one peep with the stock pads. The Hawks sqeal all the time under light braking. I've resorted to regreasing each corner to try and eliminate the noise. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try something new. Much less dust however, but would rather no noise and more dust.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have the same Hawk pads and mine are silent also. I have heard however that some folks have had varying degrees of success reducing the frequency (occurrance not sound) by making several hard stops say from 45 mph or so. Can't really hurt anything to try this with no traffic behind you of course.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu

Car is a non-Z51/GS.
Don't brake lightly. Easiest way to fix. Shorten your stopping distance by using the brakes harder all the way to the stop. As the car comes to its final movement release some brake pressure so the nose doesn't bob up and down.

Bringing the car to a stop from a certain speed releases the same amount of energy whether you do it by dragging the brakes for 200 ft or hit them hard for the last 100 ft. The wear on brake pads, rotors and tires is the same no matter which way you decide to do it.

Bill
Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

i have had hawks for 8k miles.no squeal.the key is the break in of the pads.follow it to a t or risk possible squeal.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:47 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Following the advice of several members, I did a couple hard stops from 80mph on a deserted road one night. Two weeks later and not a peep. It's the quickest and easiest thing you can try. I say go for it. Of course, be really careful doing this.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I am beginning to think it may have something to do with humidity. I put Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads on our Grand Sport to get rid of the copious amounts of brake dust. Great pads.....most of the time. In August we left home on the National Corvette Caravan and the brakes were great even through the 3 days of rain we had to begin our trip. In Nebraska the rain stopped, the humidity went up and the brakes started squealing. They continued to be noisy all through the southeast & midwest where the humidity was high. Once we got to New Mexico and on toward home, not a peep.
The most obnoxious noise always came from the left rear, maybe the emergency brake pads??

Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I had two sets of Hawk pads on my 2008 (they replaced the first set) and both were noisy. Then I put on new GM rotors and GM ceramic pads and they were great, no noise, no dust.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Squealing with Hawk Pads

Quick Reply: Brake Squealing with Hawk Pads