C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow up on paying for transmission repairs.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Follow up on paying for transmission repairs.

As I had posted a couple weeks ago that I sold my 05 base and 5 days later the transmission went out on the buyer and I was was going to pay 1k of the bill, many of you wanted to know the technical issues. Below is the invoice description that was sent to me from the dealership. There was no hint at all when I sold the car of transmission problems. And no telling how he treated the car for those 5 days. I know I didn't have to pay but I kind of felt like I should kick in some.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My only question is, what is the "shift improver kit" asked for by customer? Other than that, I agree with you: you did the right thing, even tho you weren't required to do so.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
My only question is, what is the "shift improver kit" asked for by customer? Other than that, I agree with you: you did the right thing, even tho you weren't required to do so.
I wondered that as well. I started to say I'm not paying for something that he added on. But then I thought, just pay it and move on.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good man!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Good man!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I would say "above and beyond."
Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I would say "above and beyond."
Agreed!

Well done.

Chuck M
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Shift-...47997/10002/-1

Thats a shift improver kit. Sounds like the guy bought the vette and hot rodded it home. Thats what I would assume if that was his first thought when rebuilding a transmission was too add a shift improver kit.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slowstang305
http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Shift-...47997/10002/-1

Thats a shift improver kit. Sounds like the guy bought the vette and hot rodded it home. Thats what I would assume if that was his first thought when rebuilding a transmission was too add a shift improver kit.
I would install a shift improver kit while it's apart. It did not ad much at all to the total repair cost. I don't see how having that installed leads anybody to conclude he hot rodded it home?

Although the other diagnosis and parts replaced (especially since the OP stated in his previous thread there were no signs of this at all before the sale) could lead me to believe that.

I don't remember the payment being made in cash or check. Holding the check until the buyer's issue was solved could have been really nasty. Maybe that was one reason for the OP to help out?

Chuck M

Last edited by hotmotorsports; 10-14-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotmotorsports
I would install a shift improver kit while it's apart. It did not ad much at all to the total repair cost. I don't see how having that installed leads anybody to conclude he hot rodded it home?

Although the other diagnosis and parts replaced (especially since the OP stated in his previous thread there were no signs of this at all before the sale) could lead me to believe that.

I don't remember the payment being made in cash or check. Holding the check until the buyer's issue was solved could have been really nasty. Maybe that was one reason for the OP to help out?

Chuck M
I had cash in hand the day of the sale. I just put myself in his place and thought if that was me, how awful that would be.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ALLEN007
I had cash in hand the day of the sale. I just put myself in his place and thought if that was me, how awful that would be.
I commend you!

The only thing that can't be answered, granted he was far away, is that the car did not give ANY signs of it being bad, but then it gets THAT BAD during his ride home. Yes, that transmission was really bad from what the description was. If he was nasty enough on the way home, yes that could have done it.

It's in the past now. All is right with this encounter!

Chuck M
Old 10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
ray_ray
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you did the right thing...i commend you on this..good deads will come your way...thumbs
Old 10-14-2014, 02:38 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

agree, seller did the right thing i believe, waaaay beyond and above, imo.. KARMA
Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well done sir.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

the way the description reads,it says the tranny was abused.did you race the car?how many miles on the car?how do you know that the new owner did not abuse the car and blow the tranny?he has it for 5 days and the tranny goes?sounds fishy to me.when you buy something used their is no warrenty,that is the chance you take.why didnt he buy a used car warrenty?i would not have paid anything.that is why i always buy new because it cost a arm and a leg to repair cars today,especially high performance cars that were very exspensive new.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Z28ImpalaSS
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

How many times have you heard, "it was fine a few minutes ago"? Sometimes things just crap out, no signs, no warnings. This is true of engines, transmissions, brakes what have you. No matter how well you treated it, or whether he beat on the thing or not, you can't be positively sure. I think you did the right thing by putting yourself in his shoes. Good Job! Very stand up thing to do!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

In the 2 years I had the car I went 100 one time passing someone. Other than that just putted around and never even squalled the tires, even though I wanted to. I feel sure he had a little more fun than I did in those 5 days. But anyway it's over and thanks for the good words.

Now I'm off to a bass tournament in Palatka Florida for the next 5 days. Take care!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

If it means anything to you; if I had purchased your car and it took a dump on me at day five, I would have eaten the repair cost.
You would have never known about it.

Part of buying a used car is knowing you are buying AS IS - Where as there is not a warranty.

I personally would have guaranteed it to the buyer for the lifetime of the car or until he drove out of my driveway, whichever comes first.

You cleared your mind by doing what you thought was the right thing. I would have told him to go pound sand.

But then I have had my A6 opened twice and my fluid always comes out nice and pink.
I also have video of all maintenance done to my car since date of purchase.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

OP did more than he had to obligation wise but the timing is suspect given the sudden demise of the tranny. That said, it is likely a difficult endeavor to blame the prior owner as that is the nature of buying a used car. My one experience was good.

Get notified of new replies

To Follow up on paying for transmission repairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Follow up on paying for transmission repairs.