C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to use Techron

Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best way to use Techron

Which is better, to use techron when the car is going to sit for a while or when going a multiple fill up trip?
ie; when it's going to be stored or the beginning of a long trip?

I'm going on a 1300 mile trip and once I arrive will leave the car parked for 4 weeks.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Neither. The best way is a little in every tank. That's why GM recommends Top Tier retailers. Almost every Interstate exit that has more than one station will have a Top Tier station. But if you are going to be penny wise and pound foolish then I guess letting it soak would be better than running it all through in 5 hours.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I would wait till you park the car to add the techron concentrate.

Chevron fuel has some techron in it so it is an alternative way of getting it on a consistent ongoing basis.

It will work better if it has a chance to sit for a while and clean the fuel level sensor contacts. I wait till the tanks are less than a quarter full then pour the techron in and then fill the tanks. If you put it in when on a trip it may only have a few hours at most to work its magic.

I have used techron concentrate for years in all my vettes every 3k miles and have had trouble with fuel level sensor only one time and it brought the sensor back from the dead in my 86 pace car convert when it was 22 years old.

Last edited by RJRSW; 10-14-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you both for your replies.
I agree about using top tier fuel but because I bought a high mileage 07 last year and read here on this forum about the sensors and such, I wanted to be sure all was clean from the beginning.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to use Techron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to use Techron