C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer Noise

When I log on to the forum I visit the C6 forum first because it seems like the most is going on in here, C5 second because I own a 99 FRC and C2 last because I also have a 64 Coupe.
I hope someone might be able to answer a question for me. We just bought a used 2012 Tahoe LT that had 21 thousand miles on it. My wife is saying that it makes a high shrill noise accelerating from stopping. It does not do it all the time she says. At 63 I can't hear it. Is this the sound of the harmonic balancer makes that is discussed so much. She did take it by the dealership but he could not hear it. I was hoping that I might get some information here before I go back. Thanks in advance from a fellow forum member. PS I wave to C6s!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Probably not a balancer issue. On a C6 the noise is a chirping sound and usually only when at idle. The noise you describe sounds more like the belt slipping on a pulley.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with EVRose. Check for a worn or loose belt. Even an idle pulley could be bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Noise

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Noise