C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new tires

Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Time for new tires

I was able to get 21k miles on my 13GS Goodyear tires. The front tires are just starting to show the cord on the inside of both tires. Back tires still have some tread left on the inside but the outside tread is below the wear bars. I ordered 2 Hankook Ventus V12 for the front first then i will replace the rears next month. My car is a DD and will not see the track any time soon.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:26 PM
LucaBrasi
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have the car aligned to PFADT specifications at anytime with the original tires?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:52 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Yes i did. Last January i had the alignment set to PFADT street specs.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Seems that Hankook had better get the lead out and start making a lot more of the Ventus in sizes for the "Vette".
In the other thread about their tires their was a lot of interest it seems, me included !!
For me it seems foolish to spend well over $2000 for the Michelin Pilot R.F or the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position R.F when the car will indeedy be a garage queen from here on out. With the Hankooks it will be almost $1000 less plus I have had their tires on other cars, liked them just fine, plus I have my little friend the "flat kit" already to go and we belong to AAA also.
Leaning very heavily to the Ventus, sort of waiting on a few likes or dislikes from the other thread right now.
NSF
Old 10-18-2014, 07:04 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Just ran my stock Goodyear F1 G2 tires down to 1/32 on my 2011 GS

Last edited by cyber-vette; 09-05-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
Just ran my stock Goodyear F1 G2 tires down to 1/32 on my 2011 GS so I decided to order the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I know they are not runflats but they were $1,400 shipped for all 4 and were recommend by several C6 owners. I only got 12k out of mine and that was without any track days. So I decided to make this video and send the Goodyear tires off with some Launch Control runs. These runs were my first ever use of the launch control. I kept the accelerator to the floor while I clutched and grabbed 2nd and 3rd. Sit back grab a beer and turn the volume up!

http://youtu.be/eZkH8zswhxU

I did the same thing w/o video your video is great but the feel is huge.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Today I got my2 front tires replaced. Was glad that they changed them without any damage to my rims.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:13 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Just got my rear tires changed last week and no damage to the rims. I had to get the new front driver side rebalanced. Ran up to 120 mph and everything is good now. The Hankook tires looks a lot smaller on the car than the Goodyears did. I drove in the rain today and they grip great even at 45 degrees.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sledmaster
Just got my rear tires changed last week and no damage to the rims. I had to get the new front driver side rebalanced. Ran up to 120 mph and everything is good now. The Hankook tires looks a lot smaller on the car than the Goodyears did. I drove in the rain today and they grip great even at 45 degrees.
Smaller ?? as in width or height ?? also did you replace them with the same size ??
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM
sledmaster
Racer

I went with the same size as stock. The height of the tires looks the same. I think the rounded edges of Hankooks and the tread pattern make them look smaller. On the GY's there is an edge that sticks out that would protect the rims from curb damage on a mild hit. The Hankooks don't have that little edge.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Really? I purchased Hankooks for my GS....they are currently stacked in my garage and they look HUGE, as in "are they too big?" for my car! Its all a matter of perspective i guess.....
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Congrats on getting 21K on your Good Year Runcraps. That's almost a record.
I see your going with a real set of tires this time (any tire but Goodyear)
21K on the Good Year tires? ..... That's 21K too long IMO to drive such a great highway cruiser with crap tires.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Default Hankooks

I went with the same size as stock. The height of the tires looks the same. I think the rounded edges of Hankooks and the tread pattern make them look smaller. On the GY's there is an edge that sticks out that would protect the rims from curb damage on a mild hit. The Hankooks don't have that little edge.
I wish the Hankooks looked as wide and protected the rims.

The tread width look "mostly perceived" as you noted, is a deal killer for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

21K miles is killer.

Wish I had gotten the alignment. My fronts are done @ 12K.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 AM
rmarks
Racer

I dunno know, but whatever car I have whenever I'm not using Michelins I wish I was.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 AM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Had to buy a couple sets of tires recently and found Walmart online had the cheapest prices, cheaper than in the store. Checked with several dealers couldn't beat their price. These were not for corvettes.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Seems that Hankook had better get the lead out and start making a lot more of the Ventus in sizes for the "Vette".
In the other thread about their tires their was a lot of interest it seems, me included !!
For me it seems foolish to spend well over $2000 for the Michelin Pilot R.F or the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position R.F when the car will indeedy be a garage queen from here on out. With the Hankooks it will be almost $1000 less plus I have had their tires on other cars, liked them just fine, plus I have my little friend the "flat kit" already to go and we belong to AAA also.
Leaning very heavily to the Ventus, sort of waiting on a few likes or dislikes from the other thread right now.
NSF
I agree 100% that's why my GS is rocking the Ventus V12 evo2- k120!! I love em' put about 4000 miles on this summer, quiet, smooth ride, great grip on high speed turns and awesome in poring rain!!(we got caught in a huge rainstorm on the Thruway car tracked perfectly through standing road water)

Get notified of new replies

To Time for new tires

Old 11-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF
I've been running the Bridgestone Potenza RF, and getting about 30k miles out of a set of them (some track but mostly DD), but I'm keeping my eye on these too, for a possible 2nd set for track days. I don't push my car hard, so I'm reading up on how "predictable" these are when they are pushed to the limit, and break loose.

The Bridgestones, Michelins, and even the Goodyears are very predictable, when pushed to the limits on road courses, from my personal experience and style of driving. Meaning, they whine before letting go, and then it is a gradual, controlled, even skid (or a slight "kick out of the rear" drift if you stay into the throttle), when you take them to the limit. Hoping these will be the same way....
Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Hankook just sent me an e-mail. They denied my rebate because i did not buy all 4 tires at the same time. Oh well i won't buy their tires ever again.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hankook just sent me an e-mail. They denied my rebate because i did not buy all 4 tires at the same time. Oh well i won't buy their tires ever again.
That blows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for new tires