C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what gloves do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Real men don't wear gloves.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

"Only girls wear gloves" . . . Real men don't wear gloves" . . .

Funny stuff, even if your insecurities are showing. Seems to me that nearly every serious competition driver from Juan Fangio to Don Garlits to Richard Petty didn't have an issue wearing gloves while driving. Guess you guys are smarter than they are.

It's true that you certainly don't need driving gloves for wheeling your Taurus down to the Home Depot. However, a decent pair of driving gloves in a high-performance car can be helpful. I know that my '62 with Armstrong steering and that 17" steering wheel is much easier and more fun to drive with them than without them. I wear them in my C6 on track days, otherwise not. In my experience, most people who criticize the wearing of driving gloves have (A), Never worn them, so they have no idea what they're talking about; (B) Only worn a cheap pair that gave them a false impression of what they're for; (C) Never driven a car that required or would benefit from them fast enough or aggressively enough to appreciate them, (D) Just think "They look stupid", or are too scared of what other people think.

In my own opinion, the only valid reason for not wearing a good pair of quality driving gloves in a high performance car is this: I tried them, and didn't like them - they're just not for me.

Fair enough.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by fyreline
"Only girls wear gloves" . . . Real men don't wear gloves" . . .

Funny stuff, even if your insecurities are showing. Seems to me that nearly every serious competition driver from Juan Fangio to Don Garlits to Richard Petty didn't have an issue wearing gloves while driving. Guess you guys are smarter than they are.

It's true that you certainly don't need driving gloves for wheeling your Taurus down to the Home Depot. However, a decent pair of driving gloves in a high-performance car can be helpful. I know that my '62 with Armstrong steering and that 17" steering wheel is much easier and more fun to drive with them than without them. I wear them in my C6 on track days, otherwise not. In my experience, most people who criticize the wearing of driving gloves have (A), Never worn them, so they have no idea what they're talking about; (B) Only worn a cheap pair that gave them a false impression of what they're for; (C) Never driven a car that required or would benefit from them fast enough or aggressively enough to appreciate them, (D) Just think "They look stupid", or are too scared of what other people think.

In my own opinion, the only valid reason for not wearing a good pair of quality driving gloves in a high performance car is this: I tried them, and didn't like them - they're just not for me.

Fair enough.
let's not get your panties in an uproar. just kidding as far as the statement i made. if you or whomever want to wear gloves while driving, by all means do so. i used to wear gloves when i had my 81 vette but i had to keep taking them for one reason or other, so i just threw them away.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Actually, the vast majority of comments like "only girls wear driving gloves" are strictly in jest, and are taken that way. Unfortunately not everyone is so well-intentioned. My comments are directed at the neanderthals whose comments along these lines - on any number of subjects - accurately reflect their "world view". Your inclusion of the "laughing" emoticon in your post is the recognized internet shorthand for sarcasm. I included the quote to tweak those cretins out there who really think that way.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gloves, why would your wear gloves; my steering wheel feels goood. May be wear gloves if your climatrol, whatever GM names it, does not work.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Mr.Impulse
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Gloves? Only when I'm rockin' the leather and shades, yo!

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: what gloves do you wear?