C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell at filler and in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas smell at filler and in cabin

For the past couple of weeks I fill up and the cabin smells like gas as well as right where the filler door is there is a gas smell. It wasn't doing this previously and seems to have started around with the service fuel system I've been getting. That seems to have mostly cleared it self up at this point, I did have codes checked at Autozone and the only code coming up is P2068 for the fuel sensor voltage or something like that. Any ideas on what could cause this to start all of a sudden? I've run some techron through to fix the service fuel system and wondering if I got some of the top seal of the techron bottle blocking up something causing the fumes. Could it be a bad gas cap? I've read to check the evap hose at the filler. Is there any way to do this without taking off the wheel well? I don't really have any way to get the wheel off at the current time.

I"m really trying to solve this myself before bringing it to the mechanic as I'd rather spend the money on my kids for the holidays than on the car.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be better once I get below half tank.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Granitehead53
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the same problem with my 08 Base Coupe, except no codes. Waited 2 weeks to see if it would go away but it did not. Took it to dealership and they had it for a day and a half. Checked all connections, hoses etc...and did a "Smoke Test" Could not find a thing. When I picked it up there was no longer a smell. I also noticed it more first time in the car in the morning. This morning "No Smell" I guess the Corvette Gods just made it go away.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

managed to get the wheel well partly off and disconnected the evap connector, seemed fine, no gas in it or anything. plugged it back in and buttoned up the fender. So I guess I try a new gas cap tomorrow and otherwise take it to a mechanic.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:33 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Never over fill when gassing up,when it clicks off don't top off. That should stop the problem,I had the same problem on my C5 and once on my GS.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
The following users liked this post:
rivaledc6 (03-22-2022)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Well I had a place look at it yesterday, no fuel leaking. today i'm taking it in for a smoke test to try and determine where the fumes are coming from. Really don't think I should have to pay for this as I've owned at least 16 cars and none have ever had fumes seeping into the car.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Go to the NHTSA site in the link above and fill out the form.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Last edited by RainMan12; 11-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Slomo051
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robl45
Well I had a place look at it yesterday, no fuel leaking. today i'm taking it in for a smoke test to try and determine where the fumes are coming from. Really don't think I should have to pay for this as I've owned at least 16 cars and none have ever had fumes seeping into the car.
I had the same exact problem on my 2011 GS. Smell was especially strong when I had more than 1/2 tank of gas or more. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a fuel pump and several seals...one of which is around the filler neck. This was two weeks ago and no repeat occurances. Luckily I am still under warranty and got it fixed for nothing out of pocket.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by Slomo051
I had the same exact problem on my 2011 GS. Smell was especially strong when I had more than 1/2 tank of gas or more. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a fuel pump and several seals...one of which is around the filler neck. This was two weeks ago and no repeat occurances. Luckily I am still under warranty and got it fixed for nothing out of pocket.
Even though your car was covered, you should still fill out the complaint form. If we don't pull together as a community, this problem won't get addressed.

It could save someones life. Take a few minutes and fill out the form.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Slomo051
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RainMan12
Even though your car was covered, you should still fill out the complaint form. If we don't pull together as a community, this problem won't get addressed.

It could save someones life. Take a few minutes and fill out the form.

I agree and previously complied with...mainly wanted to relay what the corrective action was for me so the OP can take in consideration.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 PM
RainMan12
Racer

I agree and previously complied with...mainly wanted to relay what the corrective action was for me so the OP can take in consideration.
Thanks for filling it out, we all appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:57 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I went to pep boys today, after I drove there, they told me they couldn't smoke the corvette, they didn't have the right equipment, seems like BS but it looks like I"m waiting a week now to find a place that can hopefully do it on Saturday. I got under the car today and did smell something, its odd though as the smell seemed to come and go. Do you know which side they had to replace the seals? The passenger tank is like 3 hours for removal which is somewhat reasonable, the drivers is more expensive.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Granitehead53
I had the same problem with my 08 Base Coupe, except no codes. Waited 2 weeks to see if it would go away but it did not. Took it to dealership and they had it for a day and a half. Checked all connections, hoses etc...and did a "Smoke Test" Could not find a thing. When I picked it up there was no longer a smell. I also noticed it more first time in the car in the morning. This morning "No Smell" I guess the Corvette Gods just made it go away.

Same as you, 08 Base coupe. Always notice a gas smell when first starting up in the colder months. 3 years, passes emissions...no codes.....oh well..it drives fine.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

If the gas fumes are only above half tank, does that indicate which tank it might be? Trying to avoid Needless labor.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 PM
E7_USAF_RET
Instructor

I had the same problem with my 2009. Took it to my local dealer and it was diagnosed to be a cracked fuel pump mounting flange. Repair was covered by emissions warranty.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by E7_USAF_RET
I had the same problem with my 2009. Took it to my local dealer and it was diagnosed to be a cracked fuel pump mounting flange. Repair was covered by emissions warranty.
Please report this on the NHTSA site, it may help others.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Please report this on the NHTSA site, it may help others.
I'm sure you mean well, but this is spamming

Get notified of new replies

To Gas smell at filler and in cabin

Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by robl45
I'm sure you mean well, but this is spamming
If folks aren't reminded to report this issue nothing will happen to get it corrected. There are lots of other cars out there with this problem, and so even if yours has been fixed, you really should still report the problem.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Well the fuel leak problem hit me also. 2008 C6 20k miles. GM regional sup said no help out of warranty. Would not even cover with the 8 year emmissions warranty. Dealer is giving me 10% off of $2500 repair to drop tank and replace cross over tube and fuel pump unit. This is BS on LOW milage car , no help from GM until someone dies because it burns down your home while you are sleeping!! We need a recall to save someone's life out there that does not realize they are in danger. Do not put off the gas smell because it is serious ! And yes I reported my issue to NHTSA also.

If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.

Last edited by RPHCRMZ51; 12-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by RPHCRMZ51
Well the fuel leak problem hit me also. 2008 C6 20k miles. GM regional sup said no help out of warranty. Would not even cover with the 8 year emmissions warranty. Dealer is giving me 10% off of $2500 repair to drop tank and replace cross over tube and fuel pump unit. This is BS on LOW milage car , no help from GM until someone dies because it burns down your home while you are sleeping!! We need a recall to save someone's life out there that does not realize they are in danger. Do not put off the gas smell because it is serious ! And yes I reported my issue to NHTSA also.
Be sure to save your receipt. You can get reimbursed if there is a recall for this. I'm hearing more and more reports about this every day.

Quick Reply: Gas smell at filler and in cabin