C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:06 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DeaconBlue
Count me in with a driver side fuel leak, a stinky garage and a filed complaint for NHTSA.
48000 miles and delivery 11-07.
Scheduled an appointment with my Chevy dealer for next Tuesday.
Life always has a way of bringing you back to reality.

Peace.
Out.
Be sure to fill out the NHTSA complaint form.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 09-07-2015, 09:00 PM
scubaman44
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 o5

Originally Posted by joeking
No problem with my 05 but it appears it mainly 08's that are affected. One click and it's full.
There is a little smell when I start it up but goes away. Noticed my exhaust a little black but it runs great, very powerful matter of fact much faster than the 2015. Drove 2 of them and mine would leave them in the dust.........and mine is a automatic. Only problem I had was the drivers seat module........cost a bit over 700.00 to have it fixed.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just now submitted the complaint form. For the first time this morning, there were gas fumes in the cabin that were very strong. My car is an 05. Fuel pump was replaced in 2009 by the dealer when new fuel level sensors were installed.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Cudatude
Heel & Toe

Default same problem

2008 Z06 - fuel smell for awhile. Just read this thread and replaced my fuel pump - the Amazon deal on the Delphi appears to be the best deal. Transfer tube is a huge pita, otherwise not too bad . Complaint submitted
Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on my 2008. In the three years I've owned it never smelled fuel in the cabin until today...

I bought my vette from a Ford dealership so I bought their Premium Care ESC warranty. Never had to use it so I have no experience with it.

Last edited by Jitsu; 09-15-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Milage ?

Originally Posted by Jitsu
+1 on my 2008. In the three years I've owned it never smelled fuel in the cabin until today...

I bought my vette from a Ford dealership so I bought their Premium Care ESC warranty. Never had to use it so I have no experience with it.
What does your odo show ? '08 @ 63K so far so good.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
What does your odo show ? '08 @ 63K so far so good.
Mine has 70k on the clock. Never had a single issue with the car.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a thought and a question to provoke some discussion....

As a motorcyclist, I've been aware of a similar issue that Ducati has been having with their plastic tanks. Seems they can swell and deform, causing leaks around the fittings for the in-line fuel pump. The tanks that are affected by this problem are reportedly made of PA6 polyamide plastic and were manufactured from 2005 to 2010. Speculation is that it's a function of ethanol fuel, as it seems to be a problem mostly in the US and less common in the euro arena. Ducati has offered many customers new tanks to replace the bad one, but some folks have continued to see swelling problems with the new ones.

https://rideapart.com/articles/the-d...l-tank-lawsuit

So, my question: Is it possible that the plastic tanks and fittings on the Vette are experiencing the same problem--that of swelling and distortion? Would it be something that could be avoided by using non-ethanol fuel? Or is it simply an issue of poor QC by GM?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Just a thought and a question to provoke some discussion....

As a motorcyclist, I've been aware of a similar issue that Ducati has been having with their plastic tanks. Seems they can swell and deform, causing leaks around the fittings for the in-line fuel pump. The tanks that are affected by this problem are reportedly made of PA6 polyamide plastic and were manufactured from 2005 to 2010. Speculation is that it's a function of ethanol fuel, as it seems to be a problem mostly in the US and less common in the euro arena. Ducati has offered many customers new tanks to replace the bad one, but some folks have continued to see swelling problems with the new ones.

https://rideapart.com/articles/the-d...l-tank-lawsuit

So, my question: Is it possible that the plastic tanks and fittings on the Vette are experiencing the same problem--that of swelling and distortion? Would it be something that could be avoided by using non-ethanol fuel? Or is it simply an issue of poor QC by GM?
I had this conversation with NHTSA over a year ago, and they do believe it is linked to ethanol blended gasoline. However, I don't have any actual info on the type of plastic used in the fuel pumps so I can't say for sure, but the initial evaluation was that ethanol could very well be playing a part in this. The only way we will ever really know for sure is if NHTSA opens a full blown investigation into the problem, and the only way that will happen is if they get a high enough number of formal complaints filed from owners.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
I had this conversation with NHTSA over a year ago, and they do believe it is linked to ethanol blended gasoline. However, I don't have any actual info on the type of plastic used in the fuel pumps so I can't say for sure, but the initial evaluation was that ethanol could very well be playing a part in this. The only way we will ever really know for sure is if NHTSA opens a full blown investigation into the problem, and the only way that will happen is if they get a high enough number of formal complaints filed from owners.
Is California the only state using 10% ethanol gasoline?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Is California the only state using 10% ethanol gasoline?
nope most if not all are ethanol
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by el es tu
nope most if not all are ethanol
What does this ethanol gas do to our cars?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
What does this ethanol gas do to our cars?
The feds mandated inclusion of 10% ethanol in US gas as part of the Renewable Energy program, ostensibly to lessen dependence on foreign oil. Not getting into the political or financial stupidity of the RE act, but what you end up with is fuel that has higher oxygenation (cleaner emissions) and octane rating due to the ethanol, but a slightly lower BTU/energy density than straight gas. The really big downside to it is that 1) the ethanol fraction now has the ability to absorb/dissolve water from tank condensation, and 2) there are some plastics and rubbers that don't play well with the ethanol.

If you live in an area with dramatic cold swings and high relative humidity, it would be good practice come fall/winter to use Stabil or some other fuel additive designed to minimize the emulsion problems of a gas/ethanol/water mix, especially if the fuel will be sitting unused in your tank for months. Alternatively, as the end of my driving season nears, I always make sure the last couple of fill-ups are with 100% gas. Getting more difficult to find, but still available, especially if you live in areas near water and marinas.
The following users liked this post:
CFIVEM3 (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
The feds mandated inclusion of 10% ethanol in US gas as part of the Renewable Energy program, ostensibly to lessen dependence on foreign oil. Not getting into the political or financial stupidity of the RE act, but what you end up with is fuel that has higher oxygenation (cleaner emissions) and octane rating due to the ethanol, but a slightly lower BTU/energy density than straight gas. The really big downside to it is that 1) the ethanol fraction now has the ability to absorb/dissolve water from tank condensation, and 2) there are some plastics and rubbers that don't play well with the ethanol.

If you live in an area with dramatic cold swings and high relative humidity, it would be good practice come fall/winter to use Stabil or some other fuel additive designed to minimize the emulsion problems of a gas/ethanol/water mix, especially if the fuel will be sitting unused in your tank for months. Alternatively, as the end of my driving season nears, I always make sure the last couple of fill-ups are with 100% gas. Getting more difficult to find, but still available, especially if you live in areas near water and marinas.
So it isn't a California thing from the extremists of the environment. It's a federal thing.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the ethanol also corrodes aluminum parts faster; this has been a huge problem in the boating community for a while now...
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 AM
08 Vett
Racer

I filled it out this morning. It seems like it getting worse.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:52 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i too had this issue…i filled out the complaint form a few months ago and got my issue resolved (on my own not because of the complaint form)…after 2 separate dealer visits, 2 separate performance shop visits…none of them "smelled" it nor said they had issues…it was clearly there…i took it to a mechanic i was introduced to and he smelled it in a heartbeat…i bought the fuel pump from cultrag, handed it to my mechanic, and sure as ****…cracks on the fitting…below are some pics (sorry for the blurriness)…i still have the fuel pump in case its ever needed or there ends up being a recall that i can get refunded for my friggin expenses on this (over 2k at least with the multiple tests, car rentals, etc)….

Last edited by sla07; 09-26-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clarified issue resolved on my own not due to complaint form
The following 2 users liked this post by sla07:
Mark.S+10 (09-29-2015), Yaupon (01-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Mark.S+10
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sla07,

You pictures clearly show the leak in the same place others have experienced. They are the best pictures yet posted. Is there any way you can send those photos to the NHTSA?

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark.S+10
Sla07,

You pictures clearly show the leak in the same place others have experienced. They are the best pictures yet posted. Is there any way you can send those photos to the NHTSA?

Thanks, Mark
if you guys have somewhere for me to send i will gladly do so since i also took a pic of the part number as you see. i dont recall a section for attachments when i filled out the complaint, but i hadnt fixed it out of pocket yet. i still have the part boxed up so its very easy to even use that as "show and tell" as needed.
The following users liked this post:
mracer (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Isn't it likely the replacement units will fail in the same high dollar manner? Anybody doing anything to reduce the chance of that? I would hate to go to that much trouble or expense and not know whether or not it's going to last.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *