C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:45 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Picked up a used 2008 auto and my garage has a odor of some sort .
Car has 24,000 miles . ? Could be all in my mined after reading this .
More musty then gas smell but not sure .

NHTSA reported .
Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Have had the dreaded gas smell coming from the left rear wheel well area for the last couple days. Just filled out the NHTSA report.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Have had the dreaded gas smell coming from the left rear wheel well area for the last couple days. Just filled out the NHTSA report.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:04 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add my '13 GS to the list. Mine is seasonal -- happens first thing in the morning on cold days.

I reported it many months ago here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-cabin.html
Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just reported my fuel smell, picked up the car a few days ago and was welcomed by the smell of gasoline!! wow this sucks!? No recall yet?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
Just reported my fuel smell, picked up the car a few days ago and was welcomed by the smell of gasoline!! wow this sucks!? No recall yet?
Be sure to report it to NHTSA. The only way we will get a recall is if they get enough reports about it.
The following users liked this post:
flyer469 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:36 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
Did you buy the car from a dealer? If your car indeed has a fuel leak, my understanding is that it's against the law for a dealer to sell a car with a fuel leak. The first 08 I looked at, I had decided to buy after negotiating with the dealer. The day I went to pick it up, it was discovered that it had a fuel leak. I was told that it would be illegal for them to sell the car to the public, and they would have to sell it at auction.
The 08 I ended up with, I just bought this last March as a certified used car from a Chevrolet dealer. It goes in today for the fuel smell. I am hoping they will give me a break even though the warranty has run out. I have only owned it for 7 months and 3000 miles.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy the car from a dealer? If your car indeed has a fuel leak, my understanding is that it's against the law for a dealer to sell a car with a fuel leak. The first 08 I looked at, I had decided to buy after negotiating with the dealer. The day I went to pick it up, it was discovered that it had a fuel leak. I was told that it would be illegal for them to sell the car to the public, and they would have to sell it at auction.
The 08 I ended up with, I just bought this last March as a certified used car from a Chevrolet dealer. It goes in today for the fuel smell. I am hoping they will give me a break even though the warranty has run out. I have only owned it for 7 months and 3000 miles.
the problem is, it's not a "leak" per se…now, if it smelled like gas and they sold it that way regardless, shame on them and I would assume THAT may be lightly illegal or at least very unethical practice...
Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Most dealers won't find the leak if they rely on their traditional method of a smoke test. You've got to tell them that it's the fuel pump.
ymmv
mike
Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by mracer
Most dealers won't find the leak if they rely on their traditional method of a smoke test. You've got to tell them that it's the fuel pump.
ymmv
mike
I just took mine in today for the gas smell. I got a call from the dealer saying that they couldn't find the leak by using a mirror and looking for it, but that they did indeed smell it. I gave them the OK to pull the tank. They were up front with the dollar estimate. Since I bought the car from them only 7 months ago, the service rep said that he hadn't talked to his manager yet, but he was sure they would give me some kind of break on the final charges.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

I just took mine in today for the gas smell. I got a call from the dealer saying that they couldn't find the leak by using a mirror and looking for it, but that they did indeed smell it. I gave them the OK to pull the tank. They were up front with the dollar estimate. Since I bought the car from them only 7 months ago, the service rep said that he hadn't talked to his manager yet, but he was sure they would give me some kind of break on the final charges.
Update:
I just got the worst possible news from the dealer. Not only is the fuel pump cracked, but they say the tank is also cracked, and the filler neck is leaking. After a discount of $250, it is going to cost me $2765 to get it fixed. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. I had my C5 Z06 for 6 years with absolutely no problems. I'm starting to think that C6's are a POS.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Update:
I just got the worst possible news from the dealer. Not only is the fuel pump cracked, but they say the tank is also cracked, and the filler neck is leaking. After a discount of $250, it is going to cost me $2765 to get it fixed. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. I had my C5 Z06 for 6 years with absolutely no problems. I'm starting to think that C6's are a POS.
Oh man. Sorry to hear!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Update:
This stinks (no pun intended).. That's a lot of dough. I know most people wouldn't do this, but I wonder what it would cost and how functional it would be to replace the tanks with a fuel cell for street and track. Is that legal? Cost estimates? (I know it would have to fill the rear cabin, but I'd still consider it).
Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:
they said there were no visible leaks seen, even using mirrors…i would be suspect of what they are telling you now…especially them saying its a visible leak at the filler neck?? with the tire off and plastic removed, that should be completely visible, with mirrors and all…something sounds weird there…

im sorry to hear about the $$$ amount…two dealerships said they would drop my tanks but it would cost me $$$….im happy i did not go that route and found the mechanic i use now…

good luck…now that its all torn apart, you pretty much have no choice…thats how they get you...
Old 10-22-2015, 05:01 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been following this closely (as other have too), and this is the first post I've read about the tank cracked too...... It's suspected that the ethanol cause's the white plastic tubes to degrade and crack, but the tank too......???? Something doesn't smell right? (I know)
ymmv
Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by mracer
I've been following this closely (as other have too), and this is the first post I've read about the tank cracked too...... It's suspected that the ethanol cause's the white plastic tubes to degrade and crack, but the tank too......???? Something doesn't smell right? (I know)
ymmv
Mike
When they called to tell me about all the problems, they said I would be welcome to come down to look at the tank, etc. I just wonder if it's possible they could have cracked the tank when pulling it from the car. In the end, it is what it is. I will inspect the old parts when I pick up the car. They said it take a few days to get a fuel pump, and of course put the car back together.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Update:
You need to find a new dealer. Sounds like they don't know what they are doing to me. I'd bet money the only problem you really have is cracks in the fittings of the fuel pump like everyone else. They are wasting their time trying to see it with mirrors. They will never find it like that. I even tried an inspection camera and it can't be seen with the tank installed in the car. I'd suggest contacting the Chevy Cust Service guy on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Jstnz28
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the past 3 weeks my 2011 m6 grand sport has been filling the garage with a strong gas smell anytime it has over half a tank. Took it to Selman Chevrolet in Orange, California and the service advisor told me he has seen multiple cases of the fuel pump leaking at the elbow on the top of the fuel pump. He even showed me two pics on his phone of other customers C6's with cracked fuel pumps. I told him I saw on this forum that others on this forum had them replaced under the California 8 years /80k mile warranty. My car has 46k on the clock. He looked it up on his computer and said, no it is not covered. Quoted me a little over $1500 to replace left fuel pump. Has anyone else had luck getting it replaced under emissions or power-train warranty?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstnz28
Well the past 3 weeks my 2011 m6 grand sport has been filling the garage with a strong gas smell anytime it has over half a tank. Took it to Selman Chevrolet in Orange, California and the service advisor told me he has seen multiple cases of the fuel pump leaking at the elbow on the top of the fuel pump. He even showed me two pics on his phone of other customers C6's with cracked fuel pumps. I told him I saw on this forum that others on this forum had them replaced under the California 8 years /80k mile warranty. My car has 46k on the clock. He looked it up on his computer and said, no it is not covered. Quoted me a little over $1500 to replace left fuel pump. Has anyone else had luck getting it replaced under emissions or power-train warranty?
nope. I'm in Orange County too and it cost me $1500. no warranty coverage on my 08 with 60k miles.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2 cents. My '13 is in the shop now for the "fuel leak/smell".

I've had this car 3 years now. It's been in the shop so many times now.......

Mustangs are looking better and better.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *