C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 PM
turboed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 has it,i cant pump more than half tank or the smell starts,same complaints just rain man stated,i have been putting it off because i have to drop the a6 and if i do that I'm also doing a converter,i just try to avoid the dealer especially with no recall on it.
The following users liked this post:
Czmx (01-27-2019)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Gas fumes too!

I have an 08 coupe . I also thought I smelled gas after filling it. Just filled out that NHTSA's recall form. Has anyone fixed it on there own or had it fixed? Is it an easy fix? Thanks
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm looking at a 09. To test it for the leak is it as simple as filling the tank and taking a brief drive to see if the odor occurs? I'm making a decision soon.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wayback
When the nozzle clicks off do not add one more drop. This should fix 99% of the problems. If not take it to a dealer and have it fixed. Better to pay to have it fixed than the possible problems that could occur.
Yep! It took me all the way until the first fill-up to learn that. The second and third didn't work real well either with the nozzle setting on high. The approximate 350 subsequent fill-ups were all done on the low setting. If I'm in a hurry, I'll manually pump in the majority at full speed and then switch to the low automatic setting for the last couple gallons. I've been fuel smell free now for 120K miles on my '08.

Living in the desert, the humidity is often below 20% and rarely above 50%. If the tanks were cracking due to being brittle, the likelihood of leaks here would be significantly higher than other parts of the country.

Rainman12 has no profile data, so it's hard to determine anything beyond his posts.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 11-30-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Czmx (01-27-2019)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 AM
JohnDaMan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just filled out my complaint form. My 08 was trouble free until 2 months ago I got the dreaded fuel smell. Anything over a half tank and the gas odor is nearly un bearable!
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnDaMan:
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019), Czmx (01-27-2019)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
Just filled out my complaint form. My 08 was trouble free until 2 months ago I got the dreaded fuel smell. Anything over a half tank and the gas odor is nearly un bearable!
Chances are pretty good that your problem is the crossover tube, not a cracked tank. Do a search for how to correct.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Chances are pretty good that your problem is the crossover tube, not a cracked tank. Do a search for how to correct.
I have a 08 no smell is the crossover tube on 08's the same as 09-13's? Thanks Dave
Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I have a 08 no smell is the crossover tube on 08's the same as 09-13's? Thanks Dave
I don't believe the crossover tube is the culprit here. That was an issue on previous year model cars but has been fixed. The problem seems to be related to cracks in the plastic at the top of the fuel pump and/or fuel sending unit causing leaks. GM did not use good plastic in the pumps, and as the plastic ages, it gets brittle and cracks. This is why it is suddenly starting to show up on 08 cars now. The plastic is aged to the right amount that the problem is starting to appear more often. I suspect the 09's may start to show the same problem in another year or so.

And just to clarify, it isn't the tanks that are cracking. It is the plastic in the FUEL PUMPS where the fuel fittings attach to them.

In the automatic cars, you have to pull out the transmission, rear end, and entire rear suspension and mufflers to get the drivers side tank out. GM charges around 11 hours labor or more just to pull the tank. It is a huge job.

Last edited by RainMan12; 12-02-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Czmx (01-27-2019)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by RainMan12
I don't believe the crossover tube is the culprit here. That was an issue on previous year model cars but has been fixed. The problem seems to be related to cracks in the plastic at the top of the fuel pump and/or fuel sending unit causing leaks. GM did not use good plastic in the pumps, and as the plastic ages, it gets brittle and cracks. This is why it is suddenly starting to show up on 08 cars now. The plastic is aged to the right amount that the problem is starting to appear more often. I suspect the 09's may start to show the same problem in another year or so.

And just to clarify, it isn't the tanks that are cracking. It is the plastic in the FUEL PUMPS where the fuel fittings attach to them.

In the automatic cars, you have to pull out the transmission, rear end, and entire rear suspension and mufflers to get the drivers side tank out. GM charges around 11 hours labor or more just to pull the tank. It is a huge job.
Rain Man does the problem that you are stating with the cheap plastic in the pumps that crack a problem up to 2009 models or all C6 vettes up to2013 in time? thanks Dave
Old 12-02-2014, 04:49 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Rain Man does the problem that you are stating with the cheap plastic in the pumps that crack a problem up to 2009 models or all C6 vettes up to2013 in time? thanks Dave
I don't know how anyone could answer that unless there was an actual comparison with each year part sitting in front of you. If it were a cheap plastic causing this wouldn't all the 05, 06 and 07 fuel pumps also be falling apart by now since they are the oldest? I've never had a hint of gas smell in my 05 in the over 3 years I've had it and I fill it completely every time I get gas.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

I recently had the fuel pump in my '07 replaced. Prior to replacement, I never smelled gas. However, with the new pump I noticed the smell of gas any time I would drive with the driver's window down around an inch or so. No smell with it closed, no smell with it open half way or all the way. I could also smell gas around the exterior of the drivers' side wheel well.

Took it back to the dealer and they confirmed that the new pump assembly had a crack in the fitting at the top of the tank and sure enough it was leaking. Kind of scary, especially if it had ignited in my garage. Needless to say, they fixed it immediately.

Last edited by v26278; 12-02-2014 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by v26278:
Olnavy (03-01-2019), R1banshee (10-29-2023)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Dazz510
Navigator

Default Vapor Leak also

Not only is this happening to my 08. But i just fixed the loss of low beam head light problem which i split fuse box apart to replace cooper wire. My 08 is garage kept 36,000 mile. Live in hot south florida 100% its a leaky seal and its a safety hazard made my complaint the other day to NHTSA. GM has terrible customer service they just refer you to a dealer for diagnostics to charge $ for things that are serious safety hazards. Its a explosion hazard and gm will tell you bring it in to pay. Its unacceptable I have a 92 nissan with 200,000 miles and never have had issues like this on that car. The low beam fix was easy. But the vapor leak is even more of a serious problem and harder to DIY. "Terrible customer satisfaction" All I am waiting is to open my garage door and find the car disassembled so i can go buy a C7 yeah right, and on another note i had to fix headlights my self there is a service bulletin but they told me that they have nothing established so basically go pound sand so i took it upon my self to fix it and i did for 48 cents with home depot bell wire. Thanks to a another forum member Senseoftouch thank you for the post.

Last edited by Dazz510; 12-02-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Czmx (01-27-2019)
Old 12-02-2014, 10:33 PM
JohnDaMan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It may or may not be. I have been under the car and can see 'streaks' of gas down the side of the tank. Even though its not wet, since I run 1/2 tank or less now, you can tell where the gas dried on the plastic surrounding the tank as it ran down the side.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by v26278
I recently had the fuel pump in my '07 replaced. Prior to replacement, I never smelled gas. However, with the new pump I noticed the smell of gas any time I would drive with the driver's window down around an inch or so. No smell with it closed, no smell with it open half way or all the way. I could also smell gas around the exterior of the drivers' side wheel well.

Took it back to the dealer and they confirmed that the new pump assembly had a crack in the fitting at the top of the tank and sure enough it was leaking. Kind of scary, especially if it had ignited in my garage. Needless to say, they fixed it immediately.
This is also where some of the cracks are occurring on the 08 fuel pumps, right at/near the fitting for one of the hoses.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

And 33 pages to date on late C5 fuel leaks...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2430894
Old 12-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Chris Bert
Advanced

My '08 Z does this crap to
Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Bert
My '08 Z does this crap to
Dealer did smoke test, pulled wheel, and wheel liner. No smoke detected. Couldn't find leak. Whats next? Is there a visible sign or stain I should be able to see on tank area? Shouldn't a smoke test show up leaking area?

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 12-07-2014, 01:29 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Dealer did smoke test, pulled wheel, and wheel liner. No smoke detected. Couldn't find leak. Whats next? Is there a visible sign or stain I should be able to see on tank area? Shouldn't a smoke test show up leaking area?
If it is leaking due to cracks in the fuel pump like the others are, it will only leak when the car is running and fuel line is pressurized. In this case, it isn't a vapor leak, but an actual liquid fuel leak (more like a high pressure spray through a pin hole or crack) onto the top of the drivers side fuel tank when the fuel pump is running. If it leaks enough, it will cause fuel to pool on top of the tank and it will eventually leak down the back side of the drivers tank, and can potentially drip onto the hot exhaust. You may see evidence of a stain on the back side of the drivers tank. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to pull the drivers tank and inspect the fuel pump.

Last edited by RainMan12; 12-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If it is leaking due to cracks in the fuel pump like the others are, it will only leak when the car is running and fuel line is pressurized. In this case, it isn't a vapor leak, but an actual liquid fuel leak (more like a high pressure spray through a pin hole or crack) onto the top of the drivers side fuel tank when the fuel pump is running. If it leaks enough, it will cause fuel to pool on top of the tank and it will eventually leak down the back side of the drivers tank, and can potentially drip onto the hot exhaust. You may see evidence of a stain on the back side of the drivers tank. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to pull the drivers tank and inspect the fuel pump.
Can you see the back of the tank from underneath to check for the stain? If so, where do I look?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:08 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Can you see the back of the tank from underneath to check for the stain? If so, where do I look?
Yes, but you'll probably need to put the car up on ramps and get under it and look with a light. Locate the metal fuel tank cover plate, then look at the exposed black plastic on the back side of the fuel tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *