C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:35 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by simplegto
Picked it up today all good and no charge. They gave me a car to use at no charge also. A week to check it out,order parts and repair. I am very happy with Ferman Chevy in Tampa.
On further review and inspection. FYI the trans shifter cable bushing was cracked and came off. i replaced the bushing but the cable is not a very impressive piece. the auto trans must be lowered to get the tank out and the plastic bushing is not made to be reused. If i had it to do it over I would insist they replace the whole cable since the quality on all the plastic is not made to be reused. It is very hard to replace the rear bushing with the exhaust on but it can be done.Hind sight I would have the dealer replace the whole cable.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I finally got to my CEL fix. The initial error was EVAP small leak. I reset the code and it stayed off for 3 weeks. When it came back it was the EVAP Emission Vent Valve Solenoid Malfunction (P0449). I used my reliable Corvette Forum for assistance and determined it was the Solenoid at the rear passenger side that needed to be replaced. Now the fun begins: I'm old 70+ and have problems working on my C6 myself. I went to my reliable fix-it shop and told them exactly what to replace. They charged $350 for the fix. (smoke Test, Engine light scan, List price for parts, and labor) Works great on lighter wallet. That's what happens when you get old. The good news was the dealer didn't cause the problem after changing the Fuel pump..I love you guys on CORVETTE FORUM
Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 PM
mhmayhem88
Instructor

Is there any way to tell if the fix has already been applied to mine? I bought my 2011 back in April of this year. I'm not smelling fuel or anything so it seems fine. I don't really want to waste my time taking it to the dealership but I certainly will if that's the only way to find out. I reviewed my Carfax and I'm not seeing anything that seems to be related but I don't know if the Carfax would reflect the service for it (I'm assuming it would but maybe not). Plus a lot of the entries are vague. "Vehicle serviced" really doesn't tell me much.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:46 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mhmayhem88
Is there any way to tell if the fix has already been applied to mine? I bought my 2011 back in April of this year. I'm not smelling fuel or anything so it seems fine. I don't really want to waste my time taking it to the dealership but I certainly will if that's the only way to find out. I reviewed my Carfax and I'm not seeing anything that seems to be related but I don't know if the Carfax would reflect the service for it (I'm assuming it would but maybe not). Plus a lot of the entries are vague. "Vehicle serviced" really doesn't tell me much.
This issue is not a recall, it is a bulletin, so if the former owner(s) of your car did not have fuel smell problems, then most likely nothing has been done. The dealer will not fix a car that has no fuel smell issues associated with it
Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 PM
BobBass
Instructor

This has been asked before, but I'll ask it again:

ARE THESE FUEL LEAK ISSUES INEVITABLE ON THE C6 CORVETTES?

Mine is an '09 Z51 LT3 Manual Coupe with just under 10K miles, second owner, not driven very aggressively, and has not exhibited the gas smell even with a full tank. Is the crack that occurs a combination of normal road vibration and/or deterioration due to ethanol? We have 10% ethanol in PA.

The ten year window will be up in 10/18. After reading of the hassles and incomplete/failed repairs done by some dealers I'm not sure what to do.

I am seriously considering selling/trading it in on something else but I wouldn't want to stick the next person with the issue.

This SUX because my car is pristine and runs perfectly. As many others have said, GM needs to make this an official open-ended RECALL, not a "service bulletin" with a ten year limit.

Last edited by BobBass; 12-04-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by BobBass
This has been asked before, but I'll ask it again:

ARE THESE FUEL LEAK ISSUES INEVITABLE ON THE C6 CORVETTES?

Mine is an '09 Z51 LT3 Manual Coupe with just under 10K miles, second owner, not driven very aggressively, and has not exhibited the gas smell even with a full tank of gas. Is the crack that occurs a combination of normal road vibration and/or deterioration due to ethanol? We have 10% ethanol in PA.

The ten year window will be up in 10/18. After reading of the hassles and incomplete/failed repairs done by some dealers I'm not sure what to do.

I am seriously considering selling/trading it in on something else but I wouldn't want to stick the next person with the issue.

This SUX because my car is really pristine and runs perfectly. As many others have said, GM needs to make this an official open-ended RECALL, not a "service bulletin" with a ten year limit.
My 2008 has 74K with no problem but I share your concerns.
The following users liked this post:
BobBass (12-04-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
Picked it up today all good and no charge. They gave me a car to use at no charge also. A week to check it out,order parts and repair. I am very happy with Ferman Chevy in Tampa.
I started to smell gas in the garage and inside the car [2013 GS vert] so on Monday I texted my service adviser at Rydell Chevy in Northridge CA. He asked me to bring it in the next day and that they would need the car until Thursday. That is exactly how it played out. Brought in the car, they verified the fuel tank module leak and the legendary Donny Yorke performed replacement procedure at no charge under the GM Special Adjustment program. Car was ready when promised and I am satisfied.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 12-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Joe1968ny (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leak

Originally Posted by wayback
I had the gas smell anytime tank was over half full. Dealer did a smoke test and found the leak in the EVAP line coming off fuel pump. Pump was replaced under warranty.
Here is the part that cracks

Cyberdemonbfg (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I started to smell gas in the garage and inside the car [2013 GS vert] so on Monday I texted my service adviser at Rydell Chevy in Northridge CA. He asked me to bring it in the next day and that they would need the car until Thursday. That is exactly how it played out. Brought in the car, they verified the fuel tank module leak and the legendary Donny Yorke performed replacement procedure at no charge under the GM Special Adjustment program. Car was ready when promised and I am satisfied.
How many miles on the car when you first noticed the smell?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Joe1968ny
How many miles on the car when you first noticed the smell?
My (2008) had 70K recorded miles. It happened 2 months into my 10th year. Sold to me September 2007. Failed November 2016. Just remember, If theirs no smell or smoke test failing, Most dealers will not fix it.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 PM
CJauto
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 07 Z51 yesterday and low and behold I go to the garage this morning and the it's filled with fuel smell. WTC.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:40 PM
CJauto
Navigator

Yea I have a 07 C6 and my garage is overwhelmed with the smell of gas. Just talked to GM and they said its past the coverage for the bulletin. Anyone know how much the repair will cost?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:20 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It depends on if it is a manual or auto. The auto has to be moved to get the tank down but I would say a grand give or take a few. I posted before if you have an auto the shift cable bushing does not like being pried off and back on. Mine fell off a week after the job was done.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:46 PM
CJauto
Navigator

I just took my car into the dealership this morning and the service advisor immediately said man the gas smell is bad. While at the dealership I place a second call to the GM hotline (first one they said it was nothing they could do) the rep was very nice and stated that he would talk to the customer care representative to see if they could help cover the cost of the repair after its investigated. GM is doing a horrible job of ensuring the safety of its customers. I'm waiting now to see just how much money I will have to spend. I've filed a complaint with NTHSA already hopefully if enough of us complain they will get off their rears and do something before someone is injured. If that happens I will be the first one to sue.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

With 954 posts so far, has anyone developed an idea of what years are most affected by this issue? Since even the '13 is almost 5 years old, I would think there would be an idea about what range of years have the most problem, and which have the lease.

Or, if it is a problem that takes 8-10 years to show up, or x number of miles, then it might be a problem which can affect any year C6...
Old 12-22-2017, 07:20 PM
449er
Race Director

Originally Posted by CJauto
Yea I have a 07 C6 and my garage is overwhelmed with the smell of gas. Just talked to GM and they said its past the coverage for the bulletin. Anyone know how much the repair will cost?
Unfortunately, the gas smell fix is an expensive proposition... with an A6, probably close to 2K
Old 12-29-2017, 07:51 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Unfortunately, the gas smell fix is an expensive proposition... with an A6, probably close to 2K
Mine was nearly $3K, but the dealer replaced the fuel tank which cost $1K by itself.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Mine was nearly $3K, but the dealer replaced the fuel tank which cost $1K by itself.
I hope it was part of the gas smell failure. My dealer broke the connector on the crossover tube and told me it was part of an assembly which included the tank. After investigation by me, they realized it was not an assembly and apologized. I still had to pay for the crossover tube replacement they broke and the transmission cable. ($350) plus it took 4 weeks for the job to be completed. Corporate said it was old and not the dealers fault. They are no longer on my Christmas card list.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I ******* hate Chevy. My 08 M6 with 160k developed the fuel smell a few months ago. I called the dealer and they said there's nothing they could do since it's outside their bulletin term. **** them. It's a safety issue and Chevy should've fixed it. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

I wasted about three days of my life. Dropping the gas tanks is never a straightforward job. One fun bit this time was that my old pump was swollen with age, and would not fit through the hole in the tank. I had to cut it apart. Could they have made the hole any smaller? Getting the fuel lines connected to the pump inside the tank is a royal pain as well.

My leak was from hairline cracks in the outlet elbow, same as the pics posted previously.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM
449er
Race Director

Originally Posted by steel_3d
I ******* hate Chevy. My 08 M6 with 160k developed the fuel smell a few months ago. I called the dealer and they said there's nothing they could do since it's outside their bulletin term. **** them. It's a safety issue and Chevy should've fixed it. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

I wasted about three days of my life. Dropping the gas tanks is never a straightforward job. One fun bit this time was that my old pump was swollen with age, and would not fit through the hole in the tank. I had to cut it apart. Could they have made the hole any smaller? Getting the fuel lines connected to the pump inside the tank is a royal pain as well.

My leak was from hairline cracks in the outlet elbow, same as the pics posted previously.
How they can get away with a known safety hazard is beyond me

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *