C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:08 PM
sdwaltemeyer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 fuel smell- I filed a complaint, got letter from GM warranty to 120,000.

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.

Last edited by sdwaltemeyer; 01-03-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: did not see where to type reply
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
sdwaltemeyer
6th Gear

Default 2009 Corvette base Z51

Originally Posted by sdwaltemeyer
Filed complaint to NHTSD then got letter from GM with warranty to 120,000. Did not take it in immediately because was not smelling fuel, but that started again and worse than ever. I have two pilot lights in garage. BAD SITUATION.
So car is currently at CASA Chevrolet in ABQ, NM. It was like Deer in the Headlights syndrome. First they seen of a letter like this, but the warranty was in GM computer. So i have a charge of $119 for diagnostic if this is not the problem, well what is the problem.
Driving I smell fuel, and roll window down.
Other than that best car i have even owned, but donot want to burn down the house or go up in flames drivin.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 AM
luvcountry9
2nd Gear

Default gas fumes

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
My 2008 only smelled 2 times and did not have fumes in the garage. I had it fixed under the recall. DO NOT ignore. Find another dealer if current one not helping.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM
mellow 07
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel leak

I have the same fuel leak in my 2007 A6 with 29000 miles. Filed complaint with NHTSD. Have not been contacted by GM or NHTSD, PROBABLY BECAUSE of the 10 year requirement.GM dealers estimate approx. $3500 repair cost.
Has anyone had this repair on their A6 by a non GM shop to save on cost and if so would GM reimburse the repair cost when this problem goes to a full recall. Thank you for any information.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow 07
I have the same fuel leak in my 2007 A6 with 29000 miles. Filed complaint with NHTSD. Have not been contacted by GM or NHTSD, PROBABLY BECAUSE of the 10 year requirement.GM dealers estimate approx. $3500 repair cost.
Has anyone had this repair on their A6 by a non GM shop to save on cost and if so would GM reimburse the repair cost when this problem goes to a full recall. Thank you for any information.
Under no circumstances will GM reimburse you for repairs on this issue done outside of GM.

You did not say that you actually went to a dealer, or spoke with GM. If you have not, go see a dealer and ask them about it. Do not assume they will not cover it. If first dealer says "no", go to another. If they will not cover it, then you will want the repair done by a reputable shop, for quite a bit less, I imagine.

NHTSD will not be able to help, but filing with them could eventually help us all, and is the right thing to do.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 PM
mellow 07
Heel & Toe

Default fUEL LEAKS

Thanks for your reply. I have been to two dealers, they run your Vin Number and then tell you that you are not covered and there's nothing they can do. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It is a one day job plus a new fuel pump. It should not be $3500. I would go over the dealer to the district level and ask for help on the repair.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

When my 2008 started to leak I looked into it and I found out about this warranty. I gave several local dealers a call. Wouldn't cover it. I was 20 days over the in service date. Called GM Customer Service. They told me that it was my fault for not buying my Vette from a dealer because if I had bought it from a dealer it would have been fixed before I bought it. My fault.... They refused to cover it. 20 freaking days.

Cost me 3k to fix it all. I've bought nothing but GM for the last 30 years, including several new cars. Never again.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
When my 2008 started to leak I looked into it and I found out about this warranty. I gave several local dealers a call. Wouldn't cover it. I was 20 days over the in service date. Called GM Customer Service. They told me that it was my fault for not buying my Vette from a dealer because if I had bought it from a dealer it would have been fixed before I bought it. My fault.... They refused to cover it. 20 freaking days.

Cost me 3k to fix it all. I've bought nothing but GM for the last 30 years, including several new cars. Never again.
Leaking with how many miles?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Carvin (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Makdaddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I just purchased 2007 2 weeks ago
Filled tank and smelled raw fuel while driving and windows down.
Also had raw gas smell in the garage
Called local dealer and the Chevrolet main office, was told no relief, Time period was expired
Wish I would have done more research for issues related to 2007 model years. So I will live and learn
I did file a complaint fat the link provided by the OP

Real bad taste in my mouth after all this.
Im prob not spending the $3000 or so to fix it
Nor will I be purchasing the 2015 Blue Vert my wife originally wanted.
Shame really

Last edited by Makdaddy; 04-07-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It is the kind of thing a seller should have some responsibility especially if they know it needed to be fixed.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 AM
CJauto
Navigator

Default Fuel leaks

I encourage vette owners to file a complaint with NHTSA and also call GM to complain about your issues. With mine GM told me that there was nothing they would do since the car was out of mileage and timeframe of the safety bulletin. GM contacted my dearer and told me that the dealer try to help me out . In the end I paid $1250 out the door for the plastic elbow piece and new fuel pump module. When they no be persistent and they willl at least cover some of the cost.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel leak warranty coverage

Originally Posted by sox-fan
when my 2008 started to leak i looked into it and i found out about this warranty. I gave several local dealers a call. Wouldn't cover it. I was 20 days over the in service date. Called gm customer service. They told me that it was my fault for not buying my vette from a dealer because if i had bought it from a dealer it would have been fixed before i bought it. My fault.... They refused to cover it. 20 freaking days.

Cost me 3k to fix it all. I've bought nothing but gm for the last 30 years, including several new cars. Never again.
call your state attorney generals office and file complaint
gm will reimburse you.

I had the same problem contacted my ag gm paid for it.
100%.
I truly believe its time for a class action law suit against
gm . They are giving a lot of corvette owners the run around.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My 2013 developed a gas smell yesterday but it smells like it's coming from the engine compartment. People are complaining about a gas smell coming from the gas tanks...could mine be related or something entirely different?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:06 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
My 2013 developed a gas smell yesterday but it smells like it's coming from the engine compartment. People are complaining about a gas smell coming from the gas tanks...could mine be related or something entirely different?
Have it towed to your dealer immediately. If I had the smell coming from the engine compartment, I would not take a chance on a fire.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM
mellow 07
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel leaks

Originally Posted by CJauto
I encourage vette owners to file a complaint with NHTSA and also call GM to complain about your issues. With mine GM told me that there was nothing they would do since the car was out of mileage and timeframe of the safety bulletin. GM contacted my dearer and told me that the dealer try to help me out . In the end I paid $1250 out the door for the plastic elbow piece and new fuel pump module. When they no be persistent and they willl at least cover some of the cost.
I followed the same procedures as CJauto.My local dealer stepped up after being contacted by GM in response to my complaint.Dealer charged $1100 to fix the fuel leak.Great job Ed Bozarth Chevrolet!

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Hankdawg30
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after 49 pages of information, we determined it could be a combination of issues.

1. Fuel Pump
2. Cross over Tube
3 Fuel tanks

Am I correct? I just want to make sure when I check I am looking at all three.

Thanks

Last edited by Hankdawg30; 03-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Docwade (08-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped by my dealer today to obtain service records and the official "Vehicle In-Service Date" of my '09 Coupe.

When I mentioned the gas smell/leak "campaign," the service writer said he had never even heard of it. They are probably not a huge Vette seller. He looked up all the recalls and sure enough it was listed in there along with the CAT converters/ECM re-program and pinched connector for the air bag light, both of which were done.

I have never experienced the gas leak problem, thank goodness. Only have 9,820 miles which is probably a big reason why.

BTW, the 10 year extended warranty will be up 11/22/18. I almost hope it DOES start exhibiting the symptoms.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Makdaddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I stopped by my dealer today to obtain service records and the official "Vehicle In-Service Date" of my '09 Coupe.

When I mentioned the gas smell/leak "campaign," the service writer said he had never even heard of it. They are probably not a huge Vette seller. He looked up all the recalls and sure enough it was listed in there along with the CAT converters/ECM re-program and pinched connector for the air bag light, both of which were done.

I have never experienced the gas leak problem, thank goodness. Only have 9,820 miles which is probably a big reason why.

BTW, the 10 year extended warranty will be up 11/22/18. I almost hope it DOES start exhibiting the symptoms.
So the dealer wasnt willing to do the repair for the fuel system?

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *