C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:04 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Has this occurred with alot of Corvettes or is it isolated and random on a few Corvettes?
From what I have seen and the hear say the 2008 is more **** to it.
I guess different plastic when it was built
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
From what I have seen and the hear say the 2008 is more **** to it.
I guess different plastic when it was built
Is that the time when GM was going bankrupt and there were no plans to keep the Corvette alive or have a C-7?
Makes me wonder if Corvettes made during those bankrupcy years were prone to more problems.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:49 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Has this occurred with alot of Corvettes or is it isolated and random on a few Corvettes?
I've seen reports of this problem on model years ranging from 2006 to 2010 with the majority being on 07, 08, and 09 model years. I suspect as the 2010 and later cars get some more years on them, they will start to show the same problem. It seems to be an effect of the plastic aging and getting brittle, so it would make sense that we haven't seen many 2012 and 2013's with this problem (yet).
Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I wonder if this plastic failure is with cars in the wider range of climate, especially colder temps? The old hot/cold scenario like with the UBEC plastic.

I would like to see a poll of cars with this problem and their geographic location. Example cold Winters where the car has to be stored.

I have an 08 and never smell gas. Sunny California.

I do smell exhaust though but I think this is normal.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
PaCharger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 GrandSport - bought it with 4400 miles, has 5,200 miles now.
When I bought the car it was a full tank. No issues.
Filled up Saturday morning in advance of the cold temps we are getting in Pennsylvania.

Voila - garage full of gas smell.

Had hoped it was a snowblower, leaking fuel can - something.

BUT - since I had JUST literally cleaned the entire garage out - it was isolated to one chevy product with bag *** tires and an ls3.

Called the chevy dealer this morning and will take it in NEXT Tuesday. Anxious to find out what it is. Keeping the garage open as much as possible in the meantime to remove some noxious dangerous fumes.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I wonder if this plastic failure is with cars in the wider range of climate, especially colder temps? The old hot/cold scenario like with the UBEC plastic.

I would like to see a poll of cars with this problem and their geographic location. Example cold Winters where the car has to be stored.

I have an 08 and never smell gas. Sunny California.

I do smell exhaust though but I think this is normal.
On cars that are well older than this you usually see the plastic parts fall off or crack from age and heat. The rubber gets hard as plastic and is not soft anymore that will break like peanut brittle. Vacuum lines also crack very easily. Then sensors are the primary things that go out on these cars at the same time as they age.
If you don't hang onto your cars this long you probably may not notice.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Bullseye96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RainMan12
Hopefully you don't have an automatic car. If so, you'll need to put the car on a lift and remove the transmission, rear end, and main rear suspension member before you can even think about pulling the tank. It's a big job any way you slice it.

The photos I posted were taken with the rear wheel and wheel-house liner (fender liner) removed. The dynamics of where the leak occur may be different in your car. If the fuel pump fitting is leaking, it actually creates a small high pressure SPRAY of fuel, and the direction of the spray may change depending on the direction the crack is pointing in. This spray only occurs when the engine is on and the fuel line is pressurized.

I have heard a couple reports of cracks in the tank itself, so there may be more than one failure scenario. Hopefully NHTSA will take action on this if we can get enough folks to report the issue.
I was hoping to get this knocked out over the weekend but unfortunately the wife's motor mounts took precedent. Fortunately I have the M6 so I should be golden. Really my only concern is that crossover supply pipe. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain.

You know one thing that makes me scratch my head is that the fuel smell is significantly less potent when it's under 3/4 of a tank. Regardless I will be finding out this week or weekend whether it actually is the tank or the pump. Regardless it's getting a new AC Delco pump. I was able to get the updated part # from chevy "19302042". With my shop discount chevy wanted $444 so I went to Full Service and they got it for me for $326.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Solutions?

2008 base A6 - 53k miles on it, same issue. if fuel tank is anywhere between 1/2 and 1/1 - the smell permeates my garage and the interior of the car. I took the car into a dealership near me and they told me they couldn't find the leak. I am taking the car to a different dealership to see if there can identify the issue. I filled out the form from the OP - my car is out of warranty as I bought it new, what can we do about this? Is there a solution where GM will cover the repair costs?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by 3L337 C6
2008 base A6 - 53k miles on it, same issue. if fuel tank is anywhere between 1/2 and 1/1 - the smell permeates my garage and the interior of the car. I took the car into a dealership near me and they told me they couldn't find the leak. I am taking the car to a different dealership to see if there can identify the issue. I filled out the form from the OP - my car is out of warranty as I bought it new, what can we do about this? Is there a solution where GM will cover the repair costs?
The best you can hope for is that GM does a recall, in which case you can get reimbursed for the repairs. The dealer probably won't be able to find the leak until they actually remove the tank, cause you can't see on top of the tank. I tried with a borescope camera snaked up on top of the tank and still couldn't locate it.

Expect to pay between $2K - $3K for the repair on a car with an automatic transmission. Be sure to save your receipts, and fill out the NHTSA report on-line.

With the problem now being reported even on low mileage 2012 cars, I don't see how it can be blamed on age or miles. It's a defect, plain and simple.

You might try to contact the GM Customer Service guy on here and see if he can help. They might be able to defer some of the costs.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (03-01-2019)
Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

When I had this issue, Gm customer service looked into it for me but ultimately I ended up paying for the entire repair bill... Once you're out of warranty, you're on your own.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My dad had an issue with his 2004 vette, fuel tank, in which he repaired. He paid for the repair initially, however, GM reimbursed him later for it. There was no formal recall. How did that happen? And will happen for us with C6's?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My dad had an issue with his 2004 vette, fuel tank, in which he repaired. He paid for the repair initially, however, GM reimbursed him later for it. There was no formal recall. How did that happen? And will happen for us with C6's?
The only time I know GM picking up the bill on a repair after warranty is if you had a problem that was written up on a work order that was simalar to the complant that is needing a repair after the fact.

I have the after market warranty on mine so I have to pay $100.00 for the repair .The warranty cost me 3k so the pump repair is just a wash for me.

the headlight recall they are also doing at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (03-01-2019)
Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM
RainMan12
Racer

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/...arage-but-why/
Old 01-19-2015, 05:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What does that have to do with fuel leaks? It says in the article both cars had electrical problems.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a 08 with just under 90k miles. I have noticed over the last 6 mo. to a year that a tank of fuel just didn't last as long as it used to but I attributed it to me getting a louder exhaust Anyway, just before Christmas this past year (2014) we moved from an apartment into a house and FINALLY my vette had a garage to park in. Well 2-3 weeks after it being in the garage my wife started to complain about our garage smelling like fuel. I gaffed it off because my car is catless and I figured she was smelling the car's fumes because I had let the car idle in the garage for a minute or so one day. Well the next time I backed the car out of the garage there was a puddle of fuel on the floor about 6-8" in diameter. I called 21st Century Muscle Car (my car is out of warranty) and the diagnosis was? You guessed it.....The tank was leaking on the drivers side where the pump connects to the fuel tank. $1602 later I have a new tank and pump and seals/rings/etc.....

I guessed being parked outside, and occasionally in different parking spots I had just never noticed it leaking fluid before. Hopefully the problem has been fixed and I never had to spend my "buy go fast parts" money on another fuel tank and pump.

Austin
Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Bullseye96
Intermediate

Ok so I wasn't able to go more in depth in this video but this should clarify where their leak is. I have to ask though, has anyone that has actually done this repair actually seen the tank itself fail? I'm thinking that the people whom have had to replace the tank might be getting the shaft from the shop.

Now I'm in no way trying to be negative towards anyone that has had to pay for having the tank replaced but I'm genuinely concerned that SOME shops may take advantage of the "Corvette Guy" that has too much money.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Thanks for the video!

The part number they put in my car is different from the one you show, it was 19302042

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 01-20-2015, 11:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RainMan12
The best you can hope for is that GM does a recall, in which case you can get reimbursed for the repairs. The dealer probably won't be able to find the leak until they actually remove the tank, cause you can't see on top of the tank. I tried with a borescope camera snaked up on top of the tank and still couldn't locate it.

Expect to pay between $2K - $3K for the repair on a car with an automatic transmission. Be sure to save your receipts, and fill out the NHTSA report on-line.

With the problem now being reported even on low mileage 2012 cars, I don't see how it can be blamed on age or miles. It's a defect, plain and simple.

You might try to contact the GM Customer Service guy on here and see if he can help. They might be able to defer some of the costs.
Why is the cost 2-3K? Is it because they have to drop exhaust, rear end for access or what?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Why is the cost 2-3K? Is it because they have to drop exhaust, rear end for access or what?
yep a lot of labor
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 AM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On average I found the price around $1600. I changed mine myself. Not really a lot of fun but I saved a lot of money which is nice. I just wish I would have changed the passenger side fuel sender unit as well since my fuel gauge is possessed now!!!

Grapevine Chevy did what they call a "smoke test" on mine which is how they found the leak. They thought the tank was cracked but it was the seal on the fuel pump.

FYI, the dealer Friendly Chevy tried to claim I damaged the car cracking the tank and wanted to charge me full price up front. Said they would reimburse is tank not cracked. I didn't believe them so I did it myself.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *