C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Southsling
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by feastersss
So, do they have to fail before GM fixes the issue?
Yes.. If they don`t find a leak with the smoke test, then no free fix if in warranty and you have to pay for the test...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM
feastersss
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 134 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Southsling
Yes.. If they don`t find a leak with the smoke test, then no free fix if in warranty and you have to pay for the test...
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:30 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Update....I was told Wednesday the vette would be ready today, but the parts are on backorder, supposedly they requested this the be a “SCAT” case or some **** on they’ll call me Monday with an update.... As disheartening as this is as I miss the hell outta my vette, at least this fix will cost me $0.

Originally Posted by whiteboy444
Add my 2010 GS with the same problem. Thank God for this message board, probably just saved me a lot of $$$. Just dropped it off at the dealership, we’ll see what they say

Update: Dealership confirmed this is the problem, they have to order the parts but the car is supposed to be ready on Friday. They are giving me a Chevy Malibu while the vette is being repaired. So far so good with Hampton Chevrolet in Hampton VA
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM
feastersss
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 134 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

What kinda miles are on these cars when it happens?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:15 AM
whiteboy444
Racer

72K on mine
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My '08 had 26K miles and it had leaked for a while before I replaced it.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM
2vettefamily
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 62 Posts

My 2013 had 54K on it when it needed the fix. It took 3 trips to the dealer to finally get it right. Thankfully, $0...
Old 03-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,048 Posts

My '13 was 4-1/2 years old with 43,240 miles. Looks to be a function of age and miles. I suspected [smelled] the problem, took it to the dealer where they verified my concern and promptly repaired under the warranty.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 03-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by simplegto
same story here but when they move the trans the shift cable bushing broke. so be ware of the plastic bushing on the shift cable.
Just a reminder for people with an auto A6. They do drop the trans to get the tank out and the shift cable bushing is junk and will fail.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Originally Posted by simplegto
Just a reminder for people with an auto A6. They do drop the trans to get the tank out and the shift cable bushing is junk and will fail.
Noted and I’ll be sure to pass this along to the dealership when I talk to them tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 PM
acf5678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, you will know if they broke yours if it is difficult to shift into R and D.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Well, I still don’t have the vette back.... It was supposed to be ready this past Tuesday; the said they did the repair and the car will start but “wasn’t running right” and said they were going to replace the fuel pump. I called them Friday to get an update and they said the new fuel pump was installed, but there’s no fuel pressure and they “are mystified” as to what’s going on with the car....

I’m soooooooooo f’n aggravated

Update....I was told Wednesday the vette would be ready today, but the parts are on backorder, supposedly they requested this the be a “SCAT” case or some **** on they’ll call me Monday with an update.... As disheartening as this is as I miss the hell outta my vette, at least this fix will cost me $0.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

...said they did the repair and the car will start but “wasn’t running right” and said they were going to replace the fuel pump. I called them Friday to get an update and they said the new fuel pump was installed, but there’s no fuel pressure and they “are mystified” as to what’s going on with the car....
?
The repair IS replacing the fuel pump.

If they did that and have no fuel pressure, I suspect they didn't get the connections right on the tubes inside the crossover.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 AM
whiteboy444
Racer

Originally Posted by roger55
?
The repair IS replacing the fuel pump.

If they did that and have no fuel pressure, I suspect they didn't get the connections right on the tubes inside the crossover.
Yep, fuel pump is part of the replacement.... I’m not sure wtf the dealership is doing.... I’ll ask them to check the connections on the tubes inside the crossover. Thanks man!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Got the vette back today. The problem they had after replacing the fuel pump (they said the first one they received was bad) was they forgot to plug in a connector, which one I don't know. I left there as soon as I could, I wasn't too thrilled about how long it took them to fix it, but oh well at least it was free. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....

When driving the vette back to work, I took an exit ramp and heard what sounded like metal scraping something, the noise seemed to come from the right rear wheel. After hearing the noise initially, I noticed it again whenever I'd hit a bump in the road. The noise was noticeably louder making turns. When I got back to work, I was talking to another vette guy about it. We went outside to take a look and nothing jumped out as out of place using the eye test. I backed the vette out of the parking spot so he could listen and he heard it, but it wasn't as noticeable when the car was moving forward. He said it sounded like it was coming from both wheels; immediately I wondered if the parking brake was dragging.... When I drove home from work today the sound went away, so I dunno.... Maybe it was the rear suspension settling, maybe it was the parking brake set for a couple of weeks? None of it makes any sense to me, but the sound is gone and I'll keep an eye on it.....

I've been fighting an annoying *** instrument cluster problem, the gauges and DIC would go out, but the HUD still worked. I thought it was a problem with those dumb *** orange subline connectors, tightened/re-camped them down and it seemed to fix the problem, until today of course.... When I got home I removed the instrument cluster, giggled wires, and it seems to be working for at least right now.... The past couple of weeks have been hella frustrating. I ordered gloss black cup wheels for it, when they arrived I had two black and two chrome but the vendor got it sorted out for me. Hopefully I'll have the new wheels on by the end of the week.

I guess it could always be worse and I should be thankful that I'm driving my dream car, have this message board to help troubleshoot.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
FZ6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now C7's have fuel leaks as well, GM is sending letters to C7 owners. I think that Chevrolet likes their Corvettes to leak fuel for some reason.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...uel-tank-leak/

If someones house burns down from a water heater pilot light in the garage, killing the whole family, I hope GM is sued for 10 billion dollars.

Last edited by FZ6; 03-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by FZ6
Now C7's have fuel leaks as well, GM is sending letters to C7 owners. I think that Chevrolet likes their Corvettes to leak fuel for some reason.

If someones house burns down from a water heater pilot light in the garage, killing the whole family, I hope GM is sued for 10 billion dollars.
Here we go again. Made 74K on my C6 without a problem and part of the way I justified getting the C7Z was to get away from the fuel leak worry.
I have not seen a post yet by anyone having a problem in a C7 however. We get to worry about cracked wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 03-31-2019, 10:06 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Here we go again. Made 74K on my C6 without a problem and part of the way I justified getting the C7Z was to get away from the fuel leak worry.
I have not seen a post yet by anyone having a problem in a C7 however. We get to worry about cracked wheels.
Maybe so, but it's pretty hard to argue with the letter from GM posted on this site. It clearly states it was to the owner of a 2016 Corvette. It sounds like the cracking fitting on the top of the fuel pump affects the C7 as well. GM used these pumps in several other model vehicles too, and I believe they are now all having problems. When I worked with NHTSA on this, they knew GM had a pretty widespread problem with these pumps, and attributed it to the type of plastic they were made from combined with exposure to ethanol in E10 gas. The problem gets worse as the plastic ages and gets brittle, so my suspicion is that we are still in the early stages of seeing problems on the C7. I would bet in the few more years you'll hear more about this issue with the C7.

Last edited by CSixDude; 03-31-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 PM
FZ6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Maybe so, but it's pretty had to argue with the letter from GM posted on this site. It clearly states it was to the owner of a 2016 Corvette. It sounds like the cracking fitting on the top of the fuel pump affects the C7 as well. GM used these pumps in several other model vehicles too, and I believe they are now all having problems. When I worked with NHTSA on this, they knew GM had a pretty widespread problem with these pumps, and attributed it to the type of plastic they were made from combined with exposure to ethanol in E10 gas. The problem gets worse as the plastic ages and gets brittle, so my suspicion is that we are still in the early stages of seeing problems on the C7. I would bet in the few more years you'll hear more about this issue with the C7.

Yes, it seems to be that elbow on top of the pump that has been cracking for more than 10 years now. They could change the material of the elbow so it would last, but they won't. They have known about this for years. Changing the plastic elbow might cost what, $5?. What a POS.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:56 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

I wonder if by the time the C8 comes around GM will have finally sorted out all the fuel issues on this car. Maybe if it's a mid engine car they will move the tank to the front and do away with the dual fuel tank design once and for all.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *