C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I've not heard of any fuel tanks cracking or leaking. All the cases reported on here are for the fitting on the fuel pump cracking and leaking.

I believe the root cause is that the plastic that the fuel pump housing is made from was not designed to withstand long-term exposure to gas blended with ethaonl. Furthermore, I suspect that as time goes on, this problem will only get worse and occur more frequently. I've heard if it occurring in model years all the way up to 2012. The 08's are probably failing first simply because they are older.

For some reason either the plastic used, or the design just isnt enough for the stresses the drivers side unit puts up with. Unless they've changed something on the newer replacements, the problem may come back.

If I were to do it again, Id just replace the oem pump with an aftermarket unit that has a metal top and AN fittings.

Last edited by el es tu; 02-21-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:53 PM
retireukwildcat
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default update & question to "2009 Z06 with the fuel smell problem"

well GM lemon law site strung me along for a couple of weeks and then declined to provide any assistance. I found a set of tanks with pumps and crossover on ebay from a guy with 100% rating on about 1600 items for $400 and got them.(said removed from a vette that was being customized for racing). the drivers side pump which it the one I was concerned about also looked marginal so I encased it in a block of steel epoxy before having the local dealer install it the replacement used tank & pump. So what was before a smell and damp tank is now a puddle. I have used a boroscope as best I can to try to see where the leak is but cannot confirm. evap line is connected, no liquid on bottom of crossover tube connection, no apparent liquid on the tank anywhere above the pump level, After setting for days the smell goes away> not leaking when not running under pressure. I just drove it about 30 miles and parked it. Leak down the side of the tank did not show up for 10-15+ minutes.
a) is the tank under any pressure ever other than normal vapor pressure?
b) can this be drainage from evap canister if vent solenoids are not working

I just don't understand how the leak does not manifest until 10-15 min after stopping when the main suspect is the pump to tank seal.

Don't want to buy a new pump and do this again only to not fixing the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions?? HELP!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
shradert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I have seen the many gas smell threads after fueling. I have an 2008 and never experienced this problem. I know my hearing is bad and now wonder if my sense of smell is too. lol jk.

More importantly I would want to find the cause of a strong fuel smell.

Some have replaced the gas cap with good results.
The bad cap and the cracked tank are two different problems. Many of the 2008s have a cracked tank at the interface with the fuel module. Cost of a new tank is $900+. Extended warranty will not cover the tank itself. Mine is at Victory Layne in Ft Myers for indefinite period because there is NO delivery date for a replacement.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 PM
shradert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by retireukwildcat
well GM lemon law site strung me along for a couple of weeks and then declined to provide any assistance. I found a set of tanks with pumps and crossover on ebay from a guy with 100% rating on about 1600 items for $400 and got them.(said removed from a vette that was being customized for racing). the drivers side pump which it the one I was concerned about also looked marginal so I encased it in a block of steel epoxy before having the local dealer install it the replacement used tank & pump. So what was before a smell and damp tank is now a puddle. I have used a boroscope as best I can to try to see where the leak is but cannot confirm. evap line is connected, no liquid on bottom of crossover tube connection, no apparent liquid on the tank anywhere above the pump level, After setting for days the smell goes away> not leaking when not running under pressure. I just drove it about 30 miles and parked it. Leak down the side of the tank did not show up for 10-15+ minutes.

I just don't understand how the leak does not manifest until 10-15 min after stopping when the main suspect is the pump to tank seal.

AS you are aware, we are talking about a molded plastic part. Some of the 2008s got a tank from a bad run and it cracks between the fuel module and the tank. Near impossible to locate by visual means. Mine was sporadic about when and how much vapor was discharged. I never found liquid under my car, but I had to open the garage door because of the smell. Occasionally, it could be smelled while driving and parked. The level of the fuel had some bearing on the severity of the leak. The transmission had to be dropped to gain access to the tank. After that happened, Chevrolet grounded the car for safety reasons. NOW, there is such a back order on the replacement tanks a delivery date will not be offered. I have ordered a used salvage tank to be installed after inspection for cracks. We wlll see. If under extended warranty, still $900 for a new tank. About $3500-4000 total labor/parts. shradert@yahoo.com

See above
Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
shradert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I've not heard of any fuel tanks cracking or leaking. All the cases reported on here are for the fitting on the fuel pump cracking and leaking.

I believe the root cause is that the plastic that the fuel pump housing is made from was not designed to withstand long-term exposure to gas blended with ethaonl. Furthermore, I suspect that as time goes on, this problem will only get worse and occur more frequently. I've heard if it occurring in model years all the way up to 2012. The 08's are probably failing first simply because they are older.

Well and good, but my tank IS cracked at the interface. Extended warranty is covering the fuel module and associated parts, but the tank replacement ($900 Chevrolet) is not covered. The delivery date for the replacement tanks is TBD. A couple of vettes in from of me at the dealership have been waiting over 8 weeks. I have filed and demanding a recall be issued. We will see......
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
shradert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by retireukwildcat

See following comments.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by shradert
I have filed and demanding a recall be issued. We will see......
Good luck with that. How many injuries and deaths were caused by the ignition switch failure? How many lawsuits were filed and years passed before the courts found GM liable and ordered them to issue a recall? In the VERY unlikely event there is a recall on this issue, it will take deaths or property damage (house burning down), lawsuits and many years before it happens and GM won't do it voluntarily.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you would think they would have learned there lessen (GM)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I can't comment on the mileage or use, or age being factors. I know that when my car went into the dealer for the repair, I asked about it only being a problem on 08's as I had heard, and the technician said they had a 2011 in there at that very moment for the same problem. So I assume it is a problem for multiple years.
My 2013 had the problem. They will all fail eventually. IMO
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 PM
shradert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.

True, my 08 same problem. now grounded at dealership for no parts available. too many on back order. lh tanks and lh fuel pump modules. do not let anyone tear it down because it will not be put back together.

Last edited by shradert; 02-26-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM
shradert
Intermediate

I have seen the many gas smell threads after fueling. I have an 2008 and never experienced this problem. I know my hearing is bad and now wonder if my sense of smell is too. lol jk.

More importantly I would want to find the cause of a strong fuel smell.

Some have replaced the gas cap with good results.

The 08s are coming down with LH fuel tank cracks causing the leaks and smells. Tanks are on indefinite back order. Because the fuel module will not fit back into a new tank, a new fuel pump module is required to complete the repair. The fuel pumps are now non-existent, Murphy's law and Catch 22 are upon us!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Is this problem common on the 2005 Corvettes?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 AM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

We've got pic's of the cracked fittings on the fuel pump, can someone post pic's of the cracked tanks? I gotta' see one!
HST, I can't help but wonder if some ham fisted dealer mechanic is cracking the tanks when removing them? All reports here is that one of the most difficult part is removing the tank crossover tube! Is this how the tanks are being damaged? Can't help but be skeptable, could it be that it's the dealers mechanics causing the secondary issues with the tanks? Few members here have actually tackled this R&R, and the one's who have, (IIRC) have reported it's a cracked line pump issue only?
ymmv
Mike

Last edited by mracer; 02-29-2016 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bullseye96 (12-22-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Austinbelair
Instructor

Damn. I'm looking to buy my first C6 now and this is making me think twice about it. I was at a local dealer recently talking to a buddy of mine and he knows I'm looking. He told me about a 2008 they had in the shop because of this exact issue and they don't have any idea when the car will be fixed as GM no longer makes the part they need or something.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, what a mess this has become with parts back ordered. I would be absolutely furious if I had to leave my car sitting indefinitely because of something like this. I had my 2008 m6 done just over a year ago and no problems since. If anyone is near Houston/Tomball TX and is being robbed by your dealer send me a PM and I can refer you to a shop that will take care of you for a very reasonable price. I had to replace the tank, and threw in a z06 pump all for under 1500 if I remember correctly.

(Not implying that the z06 pump is a solution but if you're digging around in there you might as well throw it in)

Last edited by corvette-kyle; 03-07-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Humm, I afraid to drive the 08 now....well not entirely afraid but this thread is demoralizing.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I wonder if this is somewhat weather related having the plastic fail? Cold and hot cycles?

I would interested to see the location of all the problematic cars.

Last edited by Boomer111; 03-04-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-kyle
Wow, what a mess this has become with parts back ordered. I would be absolutely furious if I had to leave my car sitting indefinitely because of something like this. I had my 2008 m6 done just over a year ago and no problems since. If anyone is near Houston/Tomball TX and is being robbed by your dealer send me a PM and I can refer you to a shop that will take care of you for a very reasonable price. I had to replace the tank, and threw in a z06 pump all for under 1500 if I remember correctly.
The Z06 pump has the same plastic fitting that cracks and leaks so that isn't a solution to this increasingly common problem.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Humm, I afraid to drive the 08 now....well not entirely afraid but this thread is demoralizing.
don't be afraid, if it starts to smell you have a year until it starts to actually show, then:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-norcal.html

Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
The Z06 pump has the same plastic fitting that cracks and leaks so that isn't a solution to this increasingly common problem.
It's thought that the replacement plastic's used in the construction of current pumps are more ethanol resistant......:roll eyes:
Mike

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *