C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Badboyz28
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little update got my car back from the dealer after about a week. The "Special bulletin " covered the issue. They fixed it and didn't change me anything. No gas smell anymore in the garage but it's only been a few days. What they did try to charge me for was a harness that they said was stretched out for $250 I told them no. IMO they might of stretched it themselves when they were working on it. Either way I declined the repair and got the car back. I'll post up if anymore issues arise. Thanks for everyone's input and comments would of been a pricey repair had I not found this.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Dabby
Advanced

I asked the dealer how much it would cost to change the transfer tube while they had the car taken apart. They quoted $458. Does that sound right? They said the part itself was over $300.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabby
I asked the dealer how much it would cost to change the transfer tube while they had the car taken apart. They quoted $458. Does that sound right? They said the part itself was over $300.
Looks like the pipe Is around $125 by itself at gmpartsdirect.com but guess it may need additional parts for a complete replacement. I found it looking for one on a 2008. Part # 15223882

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Dabby
Advanced

After the fix and still experiencing the fuel smell, they now say the fuel tank is cracked. They originally quoted just over $1700. They offered to waive the labor charges because of the issues I've had, so it is now down to $1220. I was wondering about replacing the transfer tube at the same time, but that would add another $458.

Does the cost of replacing the tank seem reasonable? Would it be worth it or not to replace the transfer tube also?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

First I've heard of a cracked fuel tank. I'd like to see where it cracked. I wonder if it got damaged during the fuel pump install...
Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Dabby
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSixDude
First I've heard of a cracked fuel tank. I'd like to see where it cracked. I wonder if it got damaged during the fuel pump install...
i wondered the same thing, but of course I can't prove it. I asked why it didn't show up during the initial smoke test and was told it didn't and still doesn't because it's too small.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

After the fix and still experiencing the fuel smell, they now say the fuel tank is cracked. They originally quoted just over $1700. They offered to waive the labor charges because of the issues I've had, so it is now down to $1220. I was wondering about replacing the transfer tube at the same time, but that would add another $458.

Does the cost of replacing the tank seem reasonable? Would it be worth it or not to replace the transfer tube also?

I think I would do what unclecookie said he had done in addition to the covered module a few posts back, bite the bullet and replace it all and be done with it. Better to take the hit now rather than certain increased costs down the road if something else leaks.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:09 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel pump leak ala 15682-02

Just got back from the dealer fixing my 08 vet. After replacing the fuel pump with new, the craftsman damaged the cross over pipe on the driver side tank. The crossover pipe is some how physically connected to the drivers side tank. They have to replace the tank with the cross over pipes. ($2500) for the work. I refused to pay and am trying to get to the regional service rep. Phone seems to be out of order! The craftsman admits he broke it and didn't know it was damaged until after he tested it. This one WILL be on them (GMC). I'll keep you all updated on progress.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel leak

The cross over connector is physically connected to the drivers tank. That line connects 2 lines going to the passenger side. ??? which cross over are you referring to?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello vanallen,

As an additional layer of assistance, we would be happy to confirm if there are any recent service announcements or recalls that may be associated with your VIN. If interested, please feel free to send us a message with your VIN and current mileage.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Erica, Is your phone # 1+800-462-2737 That's the number my dealer gave me to call. It's presently out of service!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel Leak

Well, things get better and better! Never got through to the regional manager due to auto show (their excuse). Decided to look into the reason for a new tank. The damage was done to the return pipe from the driver's side tank. Would not hold fuel pressure. The tech was told by the parts manager that the return pipe was built into the tank. NOT TRUE! I confronted the head mechanic and he took it from there. Dealer had the part in stock and are presently repairing their fault. Initially told me since the problem was caused due to it being an old car, I would need to pay for that portion. We're still discussing this fantasy! More to come I'm sure!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:31 AM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Default Fuel Leak on 08 coupe

Well, finally got my vehicle back. They fix everything including the old recalls. (dimmer lamps, shift cable, fuel module) They even filled with gas and washed and polished it. Looks terrific.. We came to an agreement to split the cost for the fuel line return on crossover due to part age/fault of worker. They took ownership of parts error for Fuel Tank replacement screw up. Total for labor and parts for fuel line return job was $330 which was half the cost. In the end everyone was semi-Happy. Car runs great, looks great, sounds great. It was a hassle but I'm retired and have nothing better to do (according to my friends). Oh by the way, the original problem was identified and the fuel module was replaced according to SP#15682-02. (On GM)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM
vanallen
Heel & Toe

Default Leak success

A special thanks to RainMan12 for your posts regarding this very real issue. You've made a lot of Vet owners happy!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Originally Posted by vanallen
Well, finally got my vehicle back. They fix everything including the old recalls. (dimmer lamps, shift cable, fuel module) They even filled with gas and washed and polished it. Looks terrific.. We came to an agreement to split the cost for the fuel line return on crossover due to part age/fault of worker. They took ownership of parts error for Fuel Tank replacement screw up. Total for labor and parts for fuel line return job was $330 which was half the cost. In the end everyone was semi-Happy. Car runs great, looks great, sounds great. It was a hassle but I'm retired and have nothing better to do (according to my friends). Oh by the way, the original problem was identified and the fuel module was replaced according to SP#15682-02. (On GM)
Excellent, sounds like they made enough effort to satisfy both sides and now you can hopefully have less worries about potential issues. It's been several months for me now with everything done and all is still good and car is running great here in SW Florida and like you, am retired and making the most of it.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Cyberdemonbfg
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vanallen
Shift cable recall?I wasn't aware of that one.Could you elaborate please?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Rockgeezer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cyberdemonbfg
Shift cable recall?I wasn't aware of that one.Could you elaborate please?
No recall but the bushings on both ends of the shifter cable are prone to wearing out and breaking, possibly leaving you stuck in whatever gear you're in so we have chosen to get it replaced when we're doing the covered fuel module repair since things are out of the way and is a simple replacement, rather than a much more expensive fix later on if going in only for the cable replacement.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 01-14-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rockgeezer:
Cyberdemonbfg (01-14-2017), vanallen (01-14-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like the Delphi FG1092 left tank fuel pump for 2007-13 Corvettes is finally back in stock again at some parts houses. This had been out of stock everywhere for quite some time.

I'm wondering if this is the brand Chevy dealers are using and if it's the one that should be an improved version that wont crack at the top connection.

My '08 has a gas smell and I'm reluctant to take it to a dealer to get fixed. Even though they may cover the expense, I'm worried that they will break the tank or just mess it up somehow.
With the fine write-up and photos by Motorhead-47 in another thread, I have no qualms about doing the job myself. However, I do want to make sure I'm using the best made part available.

Last edited by roger55; 01-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Well, my wonderful '08 stinks of raw gasoline now too. Do I want to take it in to the dealer? Not really. But I know it won't heal itself. NUTS. Wish the car would just take care of the problem without intervention but that isn't the way it works. I"ll let you all know what happens. At least GM has recognized that it is their problem and they'll fix it.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by See5see6
Well, my wonderful '08 stinks of raw gasoline now too. Do I want to take it in to the dealer? Not really. But I know it won't heal itself. NUTS. Wish the car would just take care of the problem without intervention but that isn't the way it works. I"ll let you all know what happens. At least GM has recognized that it is their problem and they'll fix it.
My otherwise perfect Z06 w/54K just started, too.
Have to wait 'til Spring.
My dealer's wrench is a veteran Corvette guy, drives an '08 Z himself.
Lucky, in that respect.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:40 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
My otherwise perfect Z06 w/54K just started, too.
Have to wait 'til Spring.
My dealer's wrench is a veteran Corvette guy, drives an '08 Z himself.
Lucky, in that respect.
Decided I want to do the job myself to make sure the dealer doesn't mess anything up. Just ordered the Delphi FG1092 from RockAuto for $210.89.
My car is a manual so the job isn't all that hard.

My '08 (LS3 engine) has 26K miles on it. Smells up the garage pretty bad.

I went to a car show this morning and just talked to a guy that owns an '08 ZO6 with 20 some thousand miles and his doesn't smell. He hadn't heard about the issue and didn't recall getting a letter from GM about it either. I gave him the warning.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *