C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:20 AM
D0ppler
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What If you don't smell gas , should I still have it looked at?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:11 AM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Would I get a letter if I was not the original owner of the car? I haven't received anything yet.
Yes, if your car's VIN is on file with GM and you are listed with GM as the current owner. The notices are sent out according to the VIN.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Frankie15 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 02:15 AM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by D0ppler
What If you don't smell gas , should I still have it looked at?
I seriously doubt the a GM dealer will look at the car unless you personally wish to pay for the diagnostic time, given you are not experiencing any fuel smell. I have an '07 which was placed in service in '06, and even though I've received the letter from GM, my car has not had any fuel smell. Besides, with the '06 in service date, I am out of luck with GM footing the repair bill.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Jon Hudon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 grand sport and GM has contacted me about the fuel issue. So keep your eye on the mailbox or contact a local dealership.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Got a letter today expecting it to be the fuel related issue, but it's the one for the catalytic converter which I have received plenty of times already. I could smell a minor fuel odor when I got to my car the other day. Hoping that I get this letter soon.

EDIT: Called the dealership and gave them the campaign # 15682 and he said I am covered for it up until May 20, 2018 or 120,000 miles. Definitely good to hear. I am going to continue to monitor the fuel smell and then get it investigated if it continues.

Last edited by Frankie15; 03-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Got a letter today expecting it to be the fuel related issue, but it's the one for the catalytic converter which I have received plenty of times already. I could smell a minor fuel odor when I got to my car the other day. Hoping that I get this letter soon.

EDIT: Called the dealership and gave them the campaign # 15682 and he said I am covered for it up until May 20, 2018 or 120,000 miles. Definitely good to hear. I am going to continue to monitor the fuel smell and then get it investigated if it continues.
I'd advise you not to wait. Raw fuel pools on top of the tank and drips down very near the exhaust. Left parked in a closed garage with a gas water heater, it is a recipe having your car and house burn down.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Rgenie
7th Gear

Default Fuel oder remedy

I have just been contacted by GRIECO CHEVROLET OF DELRAY BEACH FLORIDA, YOU CAN CALL THE SERVICE MANAGER, ADAM ROACH 561 265 6800.AS OF TODAY HE WILL BE PICKING MY 2008 CORVETTE 48K MILES AND REPLACING BOTH FUEL TANKS AND BOTH FUEL PUMPS. HE SAID GM WILL PICK UP THE ENTIRE COST. HE FURTHER SAID THAT ANY CORVETTE OWNER MAY CALL HIM AND HE WILL BE ABLE TO ASSIST IN THE REPAIR. IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, BUT TRY THE CALL AND LET ME KNOW MADE OUT. YOU CAN REACH ME AT Rgenie290@gmail.com.
Since I am new to the forum, I hope I did not step on any toes.
Regards, Gene Rubin QUOTE=RainMan12;1588274273]If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Rgenie
7th Gear

My dealer is replacing both fuel tanks as well as both fuel pumps and picking up my car at no cost to me. 2008 48k miles. GM will be picking up the entire cost of the replacement as well as picking up my car at my home. He also advised that he is willing to assist any Corvette owner with similar fuel problems.You may reach me at Rgenie290@gmail.com. I will be glad to help.
Gene Rubin

Last edited by Rgenie; 03-22-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Left out ".com"
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgenie
My dealer is replacing both fuel tanks as well as both fuel pumps and picking up my car at no cost to me. 2008 48k miles. GM will be picking up the entire cost of the replacement as well as picking up my car at my home. He also advised that he is willing to assist any Corvette owner with similar fuel problems.You may reach me at Rgenie290@gmail.com. I will be glad to help.
Gene Rubin
thanks Gene. Where do you live? Sounds like a great dealer who cares.

I wish they they would go into more detail in the cause and at least give us an idea why it does not on some. My car at just over 30k miles in 10 years was hardly a daily driver until I bought it. Maybe they used different materials on some? Maybe the daily driver is worked harder? Maybe the daily driver sits out in the sun baking at work? Who knows. But I would like a better understanding (the engineer in me) of what could cause it. Hopefully I will have the problem or figure out why I don't before September when time runs out for me.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Rgenie
7th Gear

Default Replace fuel tanks/fuel pump

Originally Posted by unclecookie
What is accessed?

I believe that to replace the fuel pump, the tank must be removed. And to do that on cars equipped with the A6 trans, the rear end must be lowered. That is what I was informed.
I was told by Adam Roach, Service Manager at Grieco Chevrolet Delray Beach, Fl. that GM now will pay for all costs associated with leaking Corvette fuel tanks. He picked up my 2008 Corvette to do the repairs without cost to me. He can be reached by roacha@griecocars.com.
Hope this will help.
Gene Rubin
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
groran
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my 08 a month ago and could smell what I thought was exhaust smell. Was real strong after filling car as we drove back from Dallas. I noticed that when I went to recirculate, closing off outside air, the smell got stronger. Of course that didn't make any sense to me. Now the more I think about it, it may be raw gas drying or something. I don't keep my car inside, so I don't know about that. But man in the cab, it would burn my eyes sometime. I could smell it after filling even at 40 mph which to me was crazy. Also thinking, why could I still smell exhaust smell at 40 mph. I probably wasn't smelling exhaust, but gas. That would explain why the smell got stronger when I went to recirculate. It all makes sense now, thanks to this forum for all the help because w/o it, I would have never known. I'm making a donation right now, thanks.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Rgenie
7th Gear

Default Dangerous fuel leak

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
thanks Gene. Where do you live? Sounds like a great dealer who cares.

I wish they they would go into more detail in the cause and at least give us an idea why it does not on some. My car at just over 30k miles in 10 years was hardly a daily driver until I bought it. Maybe they used different materials on some? Maybe the daily driver is worked harder? Maybe the daily driver sits out in the sun baking at work? Who knows. But I would like a better understanding (the engineer in me) of what could cause it. Hopefully I will have the problem or figure out why I don't before September when time runs out for me.
He can be reached: roacha@griecocars.com. When he arranged to pick up my car he said he would be glad to assist any Corvette owner.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM
cthompson07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone seen leaks happen on the passenger side tank? My car has had the "service fuel system" alarm and no gas gauge for almost 2 years now. The codes show (I think) that it's the passenger side fuel level sensor, which from what I understand is part of the fuel sending unit. I also have a fuel smell while the car is running (could also be from the cam / longtubes / no cats), but the dealer I took my car to said they smelled no gas.

I got my letter that specifically states left (drivers side), and my dealer will only replace the left side. Their tech said my issues are only passenger side so them doing the fix on the drivers side won't help.

I managed to talk to them and get them to talk to the regional rep and agree to perform fixes dealing with the letter, despite my car being past the 10yr mark. Kind of irritates me that they won't fix the same part on the passenger side however.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I had the driver's side tank replaced last year on my '06. It started out as whiffs of a gasoline smell and wound up as an overpowering smell.

The last couple of days I have been noticing whiffs of a gasoline smell when I first enter the car and from the left rear of the car. I emailed the service manager and am waiting to hear back.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I had the driver's side tank replaced last year on my '06. It started out as whiffs of a gasoline smell and wound up as an overpowering smell.

The last couple of days I have been noticing whiffs of a gasoline smell when I first enter the car and from the left rear of the car. I emailed the service manager and am waiting to hear back.
"Last year"...has it been over a year? Repairs are warranted for a year, just curious, as that might enter into whether they do it again at no charge.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I am curious about the smell issue...I have an '08 that has an-service of 4/08, so I am good for another year or so. I have no smells at this time. I have 101,000 on the car.

My question is...how many of you have had no problem up to the 90K or so, then had the problem? If I am at 9 years and over 100K with no issue, is it an indication that I might be one of the lucky ones who won't have a problem???

thanks for any thought on this.

Jim
Old 03-24-2017, 03:01 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cthompson07
Has anyone seen leaks happen on the passenger side tank? My car has had the "service fuel system" alarm and no gas gauge for almost 2 years now. The codes show (I think) that it's the passenger side fuel level sensor, which from what I understand is part of the fuel sending unit. I also have a fuel smell while the car is running (could also be from the cam / longtubes / no cats), but the dealer I took my car to said they smelled no gas.

I got my letter that specifically states left (drivers side), and my dealer will only replace the left side. Their tech said my issues are only passenger side so them doing the fix on the drivers side won't help.

I managed to talk to them and get them to talk to the regional rep and agree to perform fixes dealing with the letter, despite my car being past the 10yr mark. Kind of irritates me that they won't fix the same part on the passenger side however.
you are talking about two different issues. the fuel leak in question is about leaking fuel pump which is located in the driver side tank. your problem is a failing sending unit that operates the gas gauge. their is one in each tank i believe.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Mullin Motorsports
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No gas smell at all in my 2007 Z-51. I'm the 3rd owner. Should I be concerned?

Not sure what if any recalls have been done. I saw another issue about under hood wiring recall that is important to.

I'm in the process of registering my car with GM. As I recall they're supposed to have a record of all recalls necessary or done on any car you register.

I say supposed to, because I registered my 1983 Buick Riviera convertible, and there's no record of anything. There were a couple of important recalls they did back in the day, and I'd like to know what if anything was done. I'm guessing that they didn't have a computer data base in place way back.

Dave
Old 03-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I'd advise you not to wait. Raw fuel pools on top of the tank and drips down very near the exhaust. Left parked in a closed garage with a gas water heater, it is a recipe having your car and house burn down.
Yeah, I ended up calling last week to ensure they had the parts available to perform the service. He should be calling me back today.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
"Last year"...has it been over a year? Repairs are warranted for a year, just curious, as that might enter into whether they do it again at no charge.
It was March of 2016. If the module is leaking this time, I would be subject to whatever goodwill the service manager is willing to provide.

Last edited by Sunnyvale Dave; 04-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *