C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Teabrook
Ahh, thankyou! I wonder if I am wasting my time - I am the third owner and in another country.
Go to your GM dealer have them type in your VIN number and see if your car falls under the extended warranty. If it does it will get fixed if not your on your own and its expensive if you want to fix it
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Xenner
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this service work done at Sir Walter Chevrolet in Raleigh, NC. After running 1 tank of fuel through the car, when its at 1/4 tank the car now says "SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM" and my fuel tank gauge goes to zero.

The dealership claims this is likely not their responsibility and are refusing to address it unless I pay them diagnostics fees.

P0463 is fuel level circuit high. P0463 means that the reference voltage on the left level sender is too high. In other words, it isn't being pulled down into the operational range

The service work the dealer did is replacing the left side fuel pump module.

Anyone have suggestions for this situation?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:50 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenner
I just had this service work done at Sir Walter Chevrolet in Raleigh, NC. After running 1 tank of fuel through the car, when its at 1/4 tank the car now says "SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM" and my fuel tank gauge goes to zero.

The dealership claims this is likely not their responsibility and are refusing to address it unless I pay them diagnostics fees.

P0463 is fuel level circuit high. P0463 means that the reference voltage on the left level sender is too high. In other words, it isn't being pulled down into the operational range

The service work the dealer did is replacing the left side fuel pump module.

Anyone have suggestions for this situation?
The work they did to fix the tank sender should be under the labor warranty (this is usually a few weeks/ 1000 miles and is typically on the service invoice).

If the issue is found to be unrelated to the sender fix they did, then youd have to pay the diagnostic fee and whatever it costs to fix.

However if they missed something like plugging something back in, then they be legally obliged to waive the fee.

After replacing my sender unit I got a fuel warning as well (no fuel even though the car was full). It turned out one of the plugs wasnt reconnected - less than an hour for them to fix and no hassles from the service writer.

It sound like the service writer you're using thinks they are "smart" trying to give you the run around and force you to pay a fee for something that looks glaringly as if its their fault. If you can, use a different service writer and/or explain the messed up situation to the manager of the service dept.

good luck!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Xenner
3rd Gear

I've talked to another service writer and management, they are not willing to do much unless I pay $900. They claim they tested it, but say the sender unit has now failed. Though they do admit it worked fine before I brought it in, and that they had to disassemble the sender unit and re-mount it to the new parts they installed.

They are not willing to take responsibility and fix it.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Beyond 10 Years / 120,000

I am curious if anyone has been able to have this repair covered by Chevrolet if their vehicle is already beyond the 10 year/120,000 mile terms.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by gaphono
I am curious if anyone has been able to have this repair covered by Chevrolet if their vehicle is already beyond the 10 year/120,000 mile terms.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No feedback from anyone?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No feedback from anyone?
I would take that as an answer of "No".
As I expect it would be.
What Chevrolet will exactly do has clearly been stated.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM
tomsc4655
6th Gear

I just bought a '08 model that showed to have had this repair done on 12-2-16 at a dealership in Dallas. 2 tanks into my new purchase and I now have a fairly strong gas smell. I called the original dealership and they said their repairs are warrantied for 12 months and I can have the repairs done in my hometown of Tyler, TX. What else could cause this smell? I don't want to go in there thinking the original repairs were faulty and this will be covered and come out owing big $ for something else.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
NeFloridaC6
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomsc4655
I just bought a '08 model that showed to have had this repair done on 12-2-16 at a dealership in Dallas. 2 tanks into my new purchase and I now have a fairly strong gas smell. I called the original dealership and they said their repairs are warrantied for 12 months and I can have the repairs done in my hometown of Tyler, TX. What else could cause this smell? I don't want to go in there thinking the original repairs were faulty and this will be covered and come out owing big $ for something else.
I have an 07 with 75K on it, when I took it to the dealer for fuel smell they found 2 fuel injector seals weeping fuel. Might check that out. The fuel tank was ok in my case.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Tommy1995
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tomsc4655
I have had the fuel smell problem numerous times. Replaced both pumps and it was gone for a while. 2nd time it ended up being the vent valve. I replace that and about a year later smell again coming from the car. Replace vent valve again and the smell is gone. Now it's back again. The most inexpensive way to find out where its leaking from is have a smoke test performed. It's about a $125. You won't replace things that you don't need to
Old 07-27-2017, 01:56 AM
cowboytim
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM repairs these at no cost but it's on a case by case basis.....the dealer i bought it from got permission from GM to fix mine! Cost about 4 grand or so, Dallas may have only fixed one side....now the other sides broke....I bet you anything thats the deal.
Get records if you can.
Good luck man!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboytim
GM repairs these at no cost but it's on a case by case basis.....the dealer i bought it from got permission from GM to fix mine! Cost about 4 grand or so, Dallas may have only fixed one side....now the other sides broke....I bet you anything thats the deal.
Get records if you can.
Good luck man!
I thought they were only agreeing to fix the drivers side?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 AM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Its time for a class action law suit against gm

Originally Posted by Jmhornz1
Go to your GM dealer have them type in your VIN number and see if your car falls under the extended warranty. If it does it will get fixed if not your on your own and its expensive if you want to fix it
I had my car repaired about 4 months ago and i am having the same issues. Fuel gauge goes to zero. service fuel system light comes on almost daily. I get strong fuel odor if i fill my car up. Contacted my dealer and they are giving me the same run around. They will look at it
but if it is not related to the fuel sender I will have to pay.

OBVIOUSLY GM POORLY ENGINEERED THE FUEL SYSTEM ON THE THE C6 AND THEY ARE NOW LEAVING CUSTOMERS OUT TO DRY.

TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by ULOSECLOWN
I had my car repaired about 4 months ago and i am having the same issues. Fuel gauge goes to zero. service fuel system light comes on almost daily. I get strong fuel odor if i fill my car up. Contacted my dealer and they are giving me the same run around. They will look at it
but if it is not related to the fuel sender I will have to pay.

OBVIOUSLY GM POORLY ENGINEERED THE FUEL SYSTEM ON THE THE C6 AND THEY ARE NOW LEAVING CUSTOMERS OUT TO DRY.

TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT.
I'm ready how many will join in?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:36 AM
shradert
Intermediate

Default * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * * Reply to Thread Logged in as shrad

Originally Posted by ls1121
I'm ready how many will join in?
Hey you all,
I posted that I finally got Chevrolet to issue a recall on the C6 corvette fuel smells. They will replace your tank, fuel pump, and crossover pipe. The tanks are cracking at the fuel pump interface and cannot be repaired. This is a 100% factory repair. Check with your dealer on the recall.
Ted Shrader
Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 AM
shradert
Intermediate

Recall has been issued on C6 Corvette fuel tank cracks and fuel smells.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by shradert
Which years and when will the letters come out?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

do you have a copy of the recall or a recall number?
Like I tell the guys at work "if it aint in writing it didn't happen"
Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

An actual recall? Not the service bulletin letter which was sent?

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *