C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:29 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Reading the last couple of reply's here, my mind jumps to the crossover tube right away! That tube is a bitch to release, and it's so easy to screw up. Anyone who's doing this fix for the first time know's that this isn't a real easy job!
As for some saying this is a recall, as of right now, I'm under the impression that it's falling under a Service Bulletin with time limit's attached, if indeed it has escalated to a full blown "recall" that's great news as I understand there's no time/milage limitation on vehicle recalls?
YMMV
mike
Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

i had the fuel smell some time ago and had the car fixed. i originally paid out of pocket but i think a recall was finally ordered because i got a letter and got my money back from GM. i now have the gas gauge issue but as long as i don't completely fill the tank, it doesn't go to zero. i can fill as much as 15/16 of a tank and no issue. just can't top it off. even if I do, the gauge only screws up for about a day and then works again.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:40 PM
CFIVEM3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmorse
i had the fuel smell some time ago and had the car fixed. i originally paid out of pocket but i think a recall was finally ordered because i got a letter and got my money back from GM. i now have the gas gauge issue but as long as i don't completely fill the tank, it doesn't go to zero. i can fill as much as 15/16 of a tank and no issue. just can't top it off. even if I do, the gauge only screws up for about a day and then works again.
Have you tried using Techron additive in your gas? Should work after one or two bottles.

Happened to mine 4-5 years ago when I used mid-grade gas. The Techron cleared it up and it hasn't returned.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 PM
mjgVette08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2008 Corvette (manual trans) and I've noticed the gas smell as well. My Vette has just shy of 60,000 miles on it. Since I just purchased it, I obviously never received any type of letter for this.

Can I get some suggestions on what I should be doing here? I'd love to get this fixed as the thought of gas pooling on my tank is awful. I posted in another new thread, but just stumbled across this large thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm loving owning the Vette other than this smell!

EDIT: I read more and found special coverage notice #15682-03. Are there any concerns with allowing dealership to work on this? I've read a couple horror stories it sounds like in this thread from dealers working on this. Should I be mentioning something specific to them?

Last edited by mjgVette08; 08-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CFIVEM3
Have you tried using Techron additive in your gas? Should work after one or two bottles.

Happened to mine 4-5 years ago when I used mid-grade gas. The Techron cleared it up and it hasn't returned.

Good luck!
tried it but it didn't work.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:04 PM
mjgVette08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mmorse
tried it but it didn't work.
Awesome.. I took my Corvette in that I just purchase a week ago only to find out that the service bulletin was based on production date of the vehicle, which was July 2007. So I just missed out on everything..
Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
do you have a copy of the recall or a recall number?
Like I tell the guys at work "if it aint in writing it didn't happen"
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

When I go on mychevrolet.com I find 3 special coverage warranties for my car. It's not specific as to what they mean.
Gas smell just started today on my 08'. This could get interesting.
H
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccmano
When I go on mychevrolet.com I find 3 special coverage warranties for my car. It's not specific as to what they mean.
H
Bro, dont do like I did. When i started to smell the gas I went to dealer and they gave me a number to call. GM told me they know of no such problem. I told them its all over the internet. I filed my complaint with the NHTS and shortly after the extended warranty came out. Take your car to the dealer now. insist it is a cracked fuel outlet on top of the pomp. If you want you can show them mine and a lot of others. I had to end up replacing my own and then this stupid warranty comes out. I am **** out of luck and it has been three years now And I just barely got it running and now This emissions update happens and I have to take it to a dealer that I dont trust at all because they are lairs and dont care about me at all. I spent about $2,000 plus getting it all fixed if i had waited a few more months I could have got it done for free....... Now I have to take GM to court to recoup my expense for at least the parts. Wish they would just listen to me and do whats right. I will never buy another GM as long as I live and will never recommend to anyone just based on the way they treat me i am going to turn this vett into a BAJA race car when it all gets to stupid to hanndle
Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 PM
firemanast
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
H
15682 is the one for the fuel pump replacement. Just had my 08 done last week. October 5th was the cut off date for the 10 years as my mileage is 34k.

Last edited by firemanast; 08-18-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I assume everyone has seen this... Special Coverage Adjustment 15682 GM document.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ile.php?id=130

H

Last edited by ccmano; 08-19-2017 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
handyandy1496 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 05:06 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Bulletin 15682-03 calls for replacing the following components:

Fuel Tank Fuel Pump Module Kit
Exhaust Manifold Pipe Seal
Exhaust Manifold Pipe Gasket
Exhaust Pipe Clamp
Rear Crossmember Mounting Nuts
Trans Fluid Cooler Pipe Fitting Retainer

Based on my read thru this thread - here's my list of possible additional components and services worth considering doing 'While you are in there...' In my case it would be a 2010 6 speed automatic that is giving off lots of fumes and needs service. Mine reeks of fuel for a while after fueling with the same symptoms as described in the bulletin. Presuming they agree to a fix and the considerable labor dropping the rear out I wanted to research what else should be done while everything is open and exposed. Also wanted to have if afterwards there was still an odor that they would not be able to point the finger at something else (at my expense). I don't have all part #s but put a few in from rock auto.

* Replace ATF Dexron VI

* Replace ATF filter

* Replace Differential fluid Dexron LS

* Replace automatic shifter cable with the two attached bushings (entire cable or just bushings?)

* Replace fuel filters (part of assembly?)

* Replace LH fuel level senders ACDELCO SK1228 {#19149686, 19207710}

* Replace RH fuel level senders ACDELCO SK1227 {#19149683, 19207711}

* Replace RH 'Pump ' (aka FLVV or venturi pump thing - not sure actual name) Possible P# DELPHI FT4031

* Inspect crossover transfer tube replace if necessary (...based on some posts - I'm guessing there is at least some chance it will get messed up during removal...?)

* Inspect both tanks for cracks replace if necessary (A number of posts indicate replacing this but there is considerable opinion (which I agree with) that this is either unnecessary or cracking may occur due to mishandling the operation)

My fuel gauge works fine and I generally use Chevron brand gas when avail but...

Appreciate any feedback, corrections, part #s or omissions...
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Bill McChesney
2nd Gear

Default Got my Special Bulletin 15682 in January of 2017

Fuel odor so bad I'm afraid to keep it in the garage so I took it down for repairs. The dealer said that they extended the warranty of 10 years (Special Bulletin 15682) EXCEPT I have an '07 so it is of no value so I'm out $2,600. Called the Customer Assistance Center and they said "it is what it is and I have to pay. Called Corporate and the message states that they no longer have an operator to answer the phone and directs me to the Internet.

This is the 2nd GM car that has done this and GM has avoided paying. If you have a 2008 - 2013 I would get this checked BUT if you don't smell the odor (not easy to miss) you will likely be charged a diagnostic charge.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mjgVette08
Awesome.. I took my Corvette in that I just purchase a week ago only to find out that the service bulletin was based on production date of the vehicle, which was July 2007. So I just missed out on everything..
Did you buy your car from a private party? Or a dealer? I tried to buy another Corvette from a Nissan dealer before I bought my present car from a Chevrolet dealer. The Nissan dealer discovered the fuel leak the day I went to buy the car. They had to back out of the sale saying that it would be illegal for them to sell a car with a fuel leak. They also did not want to spend the money to repair it, so they said they would wholesale it out.
My present car developed the fuel leak about 6 months after I bought it from the Chevrolet dealer, and 3 months after the warranty expired. However, the car was covered under the service bulletin (extended warranty issued by GM to cover the fuel leak), so the leak was repaired.
So if you bought your car from a dealer, you should take it back to them and demand your money back, or have them repair the leak. If you bought from a private party, you're on your own.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:19 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

My CEL keeps coming back on for EVAP. I've replaced the gas cap and the EVAP solenoid system but the light comes back on every few weeks.

I've decided to get it to the dealer tomorrow for a sniff test for the gas tank service bulletin from the letter I got from GM. Perhaps that's the issue?

Last edited by LowRyter; 09-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Bill McChesney
2nd Gear

Default Thanks for the Heads-up

Already reported it. I'll tell you that I had the same problem with a GM 2004 SUV. 10 years (to the day?) after we bought it we had this same issue (along with over 300 others). I reported it and nothing - except I was out $3,200 as GM told me that the serial number on our SUV was not covered. I vote for a recall and need to pursue other avenues. Thanks again for posting this

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:34 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
My CEL keeps coming back on for EVAP. I've replaced the gas cap and the EVAP solenoid system but the light comes back on every few weeks.

I've decided to get it to the dealer tomorrow for a sniff test for the gas tank service bulletin from the letter I got from GM. Perhaps that's the issue?
Apparently the nitrogen sniff test is no help regarding the gas tank leaks. In my case it was no help regarding my CEL and EVAP system either.

I guess the good part is that they waived $149 tester fee, charged me nothing and turned off the CEL. My guess it's an electrical phantom.

So in my case I am still dealing with false CEL light and big dollar gas tank worry (and HB worry too).

Going to drive it and enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2008 exhibited the gas smell about 5 months ago finally took it in Friday, had the letter from GM in hand they covered the repairs n/c with the extended coverage otherwise it would have been $1550

Just got it back, Fuel Pump was so swollen that they had disassemble and cut it out of the tank, fuel tank seals had pulled out, fuel line seals fused to crossover pipe fuel line replaced...issue resolved no more gas smell.

Last edited by Dendk; 09-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am looking for a little bit of feedback, I have an 07, out of range for the extended warranty, looks like one of the previous posters noted there is an actual recall?

my concern is that the fuel smell is very faint, like you need to be almost nose against the fuel fill door to smell it, I honestly haven't paid much attention to it but noticed it today, when I drove the car after filling up the other day.

I am curious of those who have had the issue, how strong was the fuel smell? how long did you wait to do anything? and if there is no signs over fuel leaking anywhere, should I really worry about it for the time being? (car sits outside)

Last edited by cb1980; 09-21-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1980
I am looking for a little bit of feedback, I have an 07, out of range for the extended warranty, looks like one of the previous posters noted there is an actual recall?

my concern is that the fuel smell is very faint, like you need to be almost nose against the fuel fill door to smell it, I honestly haven't paid much attention to it but noticed it today, when I drove the car after filling up the other day.

I am curious of those who have had the issue, how strong was the fuel smell? how long did you wait to do anything? and if there is no signs over fuel leaking anywhere, should I really worry about it for the time being? (car sits outside)
Your not going to see signs of a leak unless you pulled the tank and visually inspected it, and even then it would be tough...GM uses a couple of tests to determine of there is an issue, one is a smoke test the other I am not sure of but generally it is spraying a mist of fuel from a crack in the top of the fuel pump housing, there is a video in this thread that explains the issue.... I don't have the link so you would have to browse this thread, BTW, my fuel smell was extreme.
The following users liked this post:
cb1980 (09-22-2017)

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *