C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you survive on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Conventional wisdom says that driving a slow car fast is preferable to the other way around, but for street driving I disagree.

Wringing out something like the new BR-Z or an old Alfa means carrying a lot of speed through corners and running big slip angles. This is enjoyable but also complete madness on the street.

In a car like the C6 you can sandbag it all afternoon, taking corners at 5/10ths, but getting on the throttle coming out of corners. This leaves a huge margin of safety but can be pretty fun.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At my age (75) I feel maturity helps with control in ALL decisions/actions, usually

Around here (southeast AZ) you must be aware of other people and their coming from other places.....not all "citified" drivers.

I hope that at the point I am a danger to others that I will not drive.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistoso Vecino
At my age (75) I feel maturity helps with control in ALL decisions/actions, usually

Around here (southeast AZ) you must be aware of other people and their coming from other places.....not all "citified" drivers.

I hope that at the point I am a danger to others that I will not drive.

I retired a little early from commercial driving because of this decision.

Personnel car still have some years left no doubt.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by mysloride
I had my Top Fuel License at 18 and drove Funny Cars in the seventies. Six years with the DEA in South America, I believe have experienced a few close calls.

I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone and could care less about someones "Dare"

At my age (60) I still feel the need for a torque rush every now and then. A little fear still gives me that "Alive" feeling. When I quit feeling that I will buy a "LTD"

I also know that my reflexes and skills are not what they used to be and I work on being more careful and not putting myself and especially someone else in harms way. But it is something I have to consciously work on. Just like I also have to “work” on not shooting idiot drivers on the way to work each morning.

BTW...I raised my two girls from an age of 8 and 10 years old as a single parent. So I am not sure where your analogy on that was going either.

Maybe I just missed your whole point...It's all good

Ya you sound like an adrenaline junkie, which is fine btw.

I never have needed fear to tell me that I am alive. For myself just doing something right gets me there.

My golf game is a good example that is not dangerous yet hitting a great shot makes my day.

The family thing is just something I brought up. My friend was the oldest and felt like he had to be the man of the house for his mom.

So he always took crazy risks to prove ( in some strange way ) that he was capable of being the man in the missing father family.

Ya not my diagnosis but a psychologist.

I guess my underlying point was something drives us to do what we do and taking risks can have underlying causes.

While I did not have a Top Fuel license I did own a Kawasaki H2 when they first came out. We did a lot of cafe racing/riding in the central California Coastal mountains.

After this is when I realized that I needed to slow down and correct my outlook on things.

I understand the need for speed, ne reason I put 4:10 differential in the MN6 C6. Just more fun at lower speeds.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Stay safe and happy motoring!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gottspd
Ouch! Personally, that is my fear of trackkng this car. I've done loads of track days, but never one that was so ... Potentially unforgiving!
WOW! I never seen someone so white from Miramar!

You play with fire sometimes you will get burned. I'm sure you had a lot of fun with that car leading up to this day though?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:19 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Are we talking about track racing or every day street driving ? Either way its kinda a do at your own risk thing. At least at the track you won't have anyone to blame but yourself. But on the street theres all kinds of idiots out there that can @#$% you up due to their pitiful driving habits. I personally like the cigarette in one hand and the cell phone in the other with a doggie on their laps while they are looking in the vanity mirror checking themselves out.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Altho David's case is sad, (and I do recall his first posting about it--super candor for all of us to take note) the fact is at least at a track there is more chance for/of recovery. Some tracks are less forgiving, but streets and highways are very unforgiving. jmo.
EXACLTLY!.. how about don't drive like as *** on the street.. works for me. Take it the track. It's much safer and way less chance of trashing the car. I have been four wheels off twice now and (luckily) have managed to return home without a scratch both times. It's a pucker moment, and it brings you back down to understanding that leaving something out there is okay. We don't need to drive 10/10 on the track to have fun. It's my play car and I'd like to choose my mods, not be forced in to (expensive) ones by my own hubris. Just be safe guys wherever you decide to let loose.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
EXACLTLY!.. how about don't drive like as *** on the street.. works for me. Take it the track. It's much safer and way less chance of trashing the car. I have been four wheels off twice now and (luckily) have managed to return home without a scratch both times. It's a pucker moment, and it brings you back down to understanding that leaving something out there is okay. We don't need to drive 10/10 on the track to have fun. It's my play car and I'd like to choose my mods, not be forced in to (expensive) ones by my own hubris. Just be safe guys wherever you decide to let loose.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
WOW! I never seen someone so white from Miramar!

You play with fire sometimes you will get burned. I'm sure you had a lot of fun with that car leading up to this day though?
It'S west Miramar
And yes loads of fun before and after
Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Surviving the streets - I sold my Harley in April (yes I miss her).

Surviving the streets - I only pretend I'm a race car driver in my '70 (which I'm not) as I have to much respect and not enough talent to drive the C6 that way.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

The streets is just crazy to be showing off or pushing the flow.

Have at it and hope you don't screw the pooch and end up in prison for manslaughter or something worse like some serious health issue.

Just too many uncontrollable variables on the street

Like any half brain can figure this out.

Quick Reply: How do you survive on the street?