C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 a6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2006 a6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear

I need help!2006 A6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear.I can only move from drive to neutral that's it.Any ideas how to fix this on my own.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:34 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

do a search for shifter stuck in park....
Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Same Problem

Originally Posted by Sudstrain
I need help!2006 A6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear.I can only move from drive to neutral that's it.Any ideas how to fix this on my own.
I had the same problem. I don't know the best way, but I removed the console. Then removed the shifter and shift boot. On the driver's side is a pawl held down by a solenoid. I pried it up, took almost no force, and every thing works again.

I gently sprayed the area with my favorite lube (teflon dissolved in a liquid) and it was as smooth as I could possibly wanted after that. The problem has not returned. I think part of the reason for this problem is dirt and grim. My O8 is a vert and I almost never raise the top.

I prefer the spray I just mentioned because it sticks to everything and is completely dry afterwards. Use the pipe extension that comes with the can it turns white when dry.

Warning: IANAM (I am not a mechanic) YMMV

Last edited by Dutch08; 11-22-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Default Pics

I took pictures or I'd never get the car back together. Here's the magic "pawl" .... FYI

Old 11-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLadyC6
I took pictures or I'd never get the car back together. Here's the magic "pawl" .... FYI
Great info for A6 drivers.
This 'issue' isn't new to the C6 forum & if your fix even works for some, fabulous.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:26 AM
Sudstrain
Instructor

I had the same problem. I don't know the best way, but I removed the console. Then removed the shifter and shift boot. On the driver's side is a pawl held down by a solenoid. I pried it up, took almost no force, and every thing works again.

I gently sprayed the area with my favorite lube (teflon dissolved in a liquid) and it was as smooth as I could possibly wanted after that. The problem has not returned. I think part of the reason for this problem is dirt and grim. My O8 is a vert and I almost never raise the top.

I prefer the spray I just mentioned because it sticks to everything and is completely dry afterwards. Use the pipe extension that comes with the can it turns white when dry.

Warning: IANAM (I am not a mechanic) YMMV
Hey thank you for riding up procedure how to fix this problem.I did exactly just like you did today and works.But I did contacted Chuck Cow he is Corvette guru and my personal friend ,here in the email to me yesterday that's what he said.Go to dealer and ask them for it...It's updated part.It's somewhat common.Don't play with it...Or you'll get stuck when you don't want to.Changing the shifter is a best because the cable is attached and it goes under the car.So I will go to my local dealer here in Las Vegas and see if I can get this updated part.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Hey thank you for riding up procedure how to fix this problem.I did exactly just like you did today and works.But I did contacted Chuck Cow he is Corvette guru and my personal friend ,here in the email to me yesterday that's what he said.Go to dealer and ask them for it...It's updated part.It's somewhat common.Don't play with it...Or you'll get stuck when you don't want to.Changing the shifter is a best because the cable is attached and it goes under the car.So I will go to my local dealer here in Las Vegas and see if I can get this updated part.
You wouldn't happen to have a part number ? I don't trust dealers.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

You wouldn't happen to have a part number ? I don't trust dealers.
I don't have part # but here is the link to inforation about the part#.I hope that will help you.http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...lat&Number=347
Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

I don't have part # but here is the link to inforation about the part#.I hope that will help you.http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...lat&Number=347
Perfect! .... thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Hey there Stan....

Hey there Stan....

Sorry you're having shifter problems. While it don't happen every day, it is a sort-of common problem.

We have been able to "fix" shifters in a pinch but in my opinion I would just rather see

you get a new one. I believe there are superseded with a better part.

It's not a simple job and you have to gain access to the bottom of the car to get the shifter cable installed correctly.

I wouldn't take the car anywhere BEFORE you get it stuck cause doing those in a parking lot is NOT FUN!

Ask me how I know!
Chuck CoW
Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey there Stan....

Sorry you're having shifter problems. While it don't happen every day, it is a sort-of common problem.

We have been able to "fix" shifters in a pinch but in my opinion I would just rather see

you get a new one. I believe there are superseded with a better part.

It's not a simple job and you have to gain access to the bottom of the car to get the shifter cable installed correctly.

I wouldn't take the car anywhere BEFORE you get it stuck cause doing those in a parking lot is NOT FUN!

Ask me how I know!
Chuck CoW
Just having coffee and reading your post,I guess my planning run to Read Rock today is dead intead I might drive to Henderson Chevy dealer and see how badly they going to hurt me.Chuck thanks for all your help true the forum and my PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I'll echo what Chuck says. I had the exact same problem with my early '07 when it was barely three months old. In fact it happened twice 30 days apart. The dealership found a twisted/bent linkage. They untangled it the first time, then had to replace it the second. Seems to be a relatively common problem with early A6s.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Just having coffee and reading your post,I guess my planning run to Read Rock today is dead intead I might drive to Henderson Chevy dealer and see how badly they going to hurt me.Chuck thanks for all your help true the forum and my PM.
Let us know how it turns out. If I have the problem again I'll try the new shift assembly route or maybe just pin the pawl back as shown elsewhere in the form.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Kontra06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me in my '05 A4. The dealer had to replace the shifter and the cable. Seems I over powered the shifter to get it into reverse when it first happened.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Let us know how it turns out. If I have the problem again I'll try the new shift assembly route or maybe just pin the pawl back as shown elsewhere in the form.
I will let you guys know.This week is not a good week for scheduling repair because of holidays.I will check with the shop next week.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Stan... Let them do it for you....

I will let you guys know.This week is not a good week for scheduling repair because of holidays.I will check with the shop next week.
Stan... Let them do it for you....

It's not a fun job to do at home..... I had to help soemone in a parking lot one time...

Terrible pain in the ***..... Pay the money this time.

Sit back and enjoy!
Chuck CoW
Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Stan... Let them do it for you....

It's not a fun job to do at home..... I had to help soemone in a parking lot one time...

Terrible pain in the ***..... Pay the money this time.

Sit back and enjoy!
Chuck CoW
Chuck. You right. My hesitation is the honesty off their service if they will do what they going to charge me for.Gear shifter fills normal right now, how I will know the difference after their service.There is no other shop I know here who works on Corvettes the only Henderson Chevy dealer auto shop.Happy Thanksgiving to You and your family.Stay safe.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 a6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear

Old 11-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I just cut the pawl off after reading on here the new shifter will have the same problem later on.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Chuck. You right. My hesitation is the honesty off their service if they will do what they going to charge me for.Gear shifter fills normal right now, how I will know the difference after their service.There is no other shop I know here who works on Corvettes the only Henderson Chevy dealer auto shop.Happy Thanksgiving to You and your family.Stay safe.
If you really want a dealer to do it go to Findlay Chevrolet. Take the 215 and get off at Rainbow. It's right there. I've had mine there several times and they always do a good job and take good care of the car.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 AM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
If you really want a dealer to do it go to Findlay Chevrolet. Take the 215 and get off at Rainbow. It's right there. I've had mine there several times and they always do a good job and take good care of the car.
Thanks for the info.And nice to getting help from locals. I know exactly where is Findlay Chevrolet is.I am not putting down Henderson Chevy dealer,recently they balace the wheels and realign car.I'm very happy with results.The question is how did they going to determine which part is not good,visually all lok just fine and feels fine.I took it for a spin today shift from S to D went through all kind of exercise with the gear shifter feels pretty positive.

Quick Reply: 2006 a6 shifter got stuck on the drive gear