C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Marconi7
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OnStar - Your thoughts?

Since I am nearing the end of my trial, I wanted to see what you all think about OnStar.

I知 semi-new here and I did do a search in this forum for OnStar posts. If there is a thread out there, I missed it.

From what I have read, there isn't much use for it unless you are into black helicopters. I have to confess, in the 3 months that I've had the service, I've only used it once or twice and that was more of a test and setup thing.

Also never had OnStar in my previous cars (non-GM) so I can probably live without the service but was wondering if there are any here that feel the service is useful.

The locate a stolen vehicle sounds like it could be of use. Unlocking a door sounds helpful too. I would say that the navigation aspect sounds nice, but I知 a guy and guys don稚 need to ask for directions. Err at least I have my Android if I get lost.

So I知 just looking for comments and experiences with OnStar from you all so I can make a decision.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

meh. it's expensive for a 'feel good' service that is very rarely useful, feels kind of scammy to me, especially with how hard they try to push you into subscribing when you first get the car. I wish they'd charge per use instead of by subscription. I imagine it's sort of like any other insurance policy, you're going to pay a lot and not get a lot, but the one time that you need it, you'll be glad you had it. I don't care for it, personally.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 PM
OL2yellr
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Marc,
I've had OnStar several times, even paid for 1 year, several years back. My experience with OnStar was not that good then or just recent with my new to me Grand Sport that I got the trial with. I tried to get OnStar to get me directions while traveling from Oklahoma to a Hotel in Dallas and bottom line, it never loaded into my system as it should. They did try hard working at it, which is better than a few years back.
Bottom line, I did not renew it on my Corvette or my 13 Avalanche.
Like you, i can use my I phone if I have to.
Good Luck
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

We have it on both Corvettes. I really don't need it, but I like my wife having it. She's not that great with directions and she loves the turn by turn. I also like that she has it if she were to get stranded or have a wreck.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:50 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Default OnStar - Your thoughts?

I guess my thought is that with my Garmin and cell phone, I'm covered for practically free.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:54 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I didn't think much of it until I bought one with it.

When we went on the 2014 Caravan and were out in the country, no cell service, I had a warm and fuzzy feeling about getting help if we needed it.
We drive a fair amount in remote areas, so I feel we need it.

Also keeps track of your service and lets you know if your Vette is falling apart.

On the flip side if you drive mostly where there is cell service, I don't think you need it..

As mentioned above, I have a Garmin and a cell. Car has a factory Nav, BTW.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

If they would drop the price just for the safe emergency service I would have that but it is way too high for me. Smart phones have better nav in my opinion. WAZE is the greatest thing I have found for nav, traffic and cops.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Never have or will use it outside of free trial/
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Couldn't pay me to have it.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I guess my thought is that with my Garmin and cell phone, I'm covered for practically free.
with cell phone and Garmin, got what I need without OnStar and the annual cost for same.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

I've had it, then when it ran out I didn't renew. With cell phones and nav systems, there's not much use for it in my book.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 PM
RDG5500
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also can unlock your doors for you, track the car if stolen (lead the police right to it). If you get into an accident, they call you. If you don't answer, they call the police & ambulance for you. Could be helpful.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Carl S.
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason I have just the basic service (no phone minutes or anything like that) is for the insurance discount. Depending on the annual mileage the discount can be as high as 45%. With my driving mileage my discount has been 26%, all due to the partnership between State Farm and OnStar.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't think too much of it until I was in an accident. A guy in a pickup ran a red light and I hit him going about 45. They called me and asked if I was OK. I told them I didn't know, I have to wait until the car stops. They called Fire, Police and ambulance. That sold me, if I was ever in an accident where I couldn't call I know help would be on the way... Hope to never need this feature..

Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Not worth the cost - didn't interface well with my GPS...frustrating experience.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have it and like the security. I especially like the fact that they know if you have an accident and get emergency personnel notified promptly. I've never used it, but it's there, and I don't really object to the price.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
I didn't think much of it until I bought one with it.

When we went on the 2014 Caravan and were out in the country, no cell service, I had a warm and fuzzy feeling about getting help if we needed it.
We drive a fair amount in remote areas, so I feel we need it.

Also keeps track of your service and lets you know if your Vette is falling apart.

On the flip side if you drive mostly where there is cell service, I don't think you need it..

As mentioned above, I have a Garmin and a cell. Car has a factory Nav, BTW.
Funny you mention having it in a no-cell-service area as added safety. I tried to use it in the Wife's Buick once when we were in a no-service area (very remote area of Texas)... Guess what?? It didn't work! I'm thinking On Star uses cell towers and when you're talking to them... It's just a cellular call.

If I'm wrong about that... it does't explain the service being unavailable when away from cell towers.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar - Your thoughts?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It is only a cell phone. It is not a sat phone.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by RDG5500
It also can unlock your doors for you, track the car if stolen (lead the police right to it). If you get into an accident, they call you. If you don't answer, they call the police & ambulance for you. Could be helpful.

I have the basic "safe & sound plan" for these reasons, for the Corvette.
I don't subscribe for my DD Chevy Malibu. I'm too cheap, I guess !
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by glerma
Funny you mention having it in a no-cell-service area as added safety. I tried to use it in the Wife's Buick once when we were in a no-service area (very remote area of Texas)... Guess what?? It didn't work! I'm thinking On Star uses cell towers and when you're talking to them... It's just a cellular call.

If I'm wrong about that... it does't explain the service being unavailable when away from cell towers.
If I can confirm that, I guess I will drop OnStar.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: OnStar - Your thoughts?