C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching DRL/Turn Signals on C6

Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 PM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching DRL/Turn Signals on C6

My car is a 2008 C6.

I was thinking about switching out my DRL/Turn Signals to LED bulbs, however, was advised by my mechanic that LEDs sometimes cause radio interference.

I checked the vehicle code and see where I can use a clear bulb instead of amber for this purpose (24953(a) CVC) in California. So, I'm thinking of just changing the DRL/Turn Signal bulbs to the clear bulbs and looking at Sylvania 3157 bulbs as the possible replacement. Cheaper than the LED bulbs and no interference.

My concern is do these 3157 bulbs burn any hotter than the OEM bulbs? I don't want to melt something in the light housing so if anyone has any idea if this bulb will work or another bulb is better, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

The amber tinted bulbs and the clear bulbs put out the same heat.

As for DRL lights, The first thing that I when I start the car in the day time is turn them off anyways. To turn the DRL off, just move the light switch dial clockwise past Auto, and let is snap back to auto. If you get a "Lights suggested" warning in the DIC, then hit the top right hand button on the bezel above the starter button to clear the warning.

As for white or amber, would stay with the amber since its the drivers in front of you that can see the flashing amber bulb as a turn signal, and not just you flashing a light at them with a clear bulb instead. Plus, easy to see the amber color bulbs in the reflection of the car in front of you if you did forget to turn the off during the day time.

As for keeping the DRL's from coming on, the 38/40 relay mod works, but so does pulling the relays and installing resistors across the sides of the coil contacts of the fuse block so the BCM is thinks that the coils are being triggered/ have the needed resistance feed back.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-05-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've been using these for about 3 years now with no issues whatsoever. They're pretty bright even in daylight. They're Cree Q5 3157 bulbs.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:22 PM
chabel@comcast.net
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is a 2013 Grand Sport and I replaced the DRLs with LED switchbacks and no resistors. No radio interference. For anyone who hasn't used them switchbacks are white DRLs and switch to alternating white/amber when turn signals/emergency flashers are on. The switching actually draws the attention of other drivers than the standard amber.
Regards,
Chuck
Old 04-26-2021, 12:06 AM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

i would advise against changing turn signals from amber to white.as Dano523 said. Oncoming drivers will not know what a flashing white light means. People know an amber means turn. I know a lot of motorcycle riders drive with high beams on or use even use led's and and then turn on high beams for normal riding. It doesn't make them any more visible. It just blinds oncoming driver and they look away from them. Not good. You want people to see you not be blinded and turn away. Brighter is not always better. Vette lights are plenty bright enough. Front and back.

Last edited by oldcanuck; 04-26-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:13 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've used 80w 5500K white LEDs (with load resistors) for turn signals/DRLs for the past 11yrs. No hyper flashing, no radio interference, they actually put out much less heat than regular incandescent bulbs, and so far other drivers have had no problem at all understanding what the turn signal means.

Stick with quality bulbs like the Crees in the above post and you'll be fine. Color is of course a matter of personal taste. I prefer 5500k white to match my LED hi beams, lo beams and fog lights. Other people make different choices. It's all good.

Get notified of new replies

To Switching DRL/Turn Signals on C6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching DRL/Turn Signals on C6