C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of Harmonic Balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
psxer989
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Install of Harmonic Balancer question

So I need to replace my balancer. Local shop quoted me $1200 in labor. $1200! Looks like I'll need to do this myself. I have my crank pinned so I'll need to drill the new balancer. My question is, how in the world do I line the balancer up with that pin?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Mike Farris
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Install balancer and repin 180° from the previous spot.

This is assuming the pin is parallel to the crank, not the ATI pin kit that goes through the crankshaft. You are supercharged? If not I wouldnt bother with a pin at all.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
psxer989
Racer

Yeah, I'm supercharged. Repin is a good idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike Farris
Install balancer and repin 180° from the previous spot.

This is assuming the pin is parallel to the crank, not the ATI pin kit that goes through the crankshaft. You are supercharged? If not I wouldnt bother with a pin at all.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Mike Farris
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I switched from a regular ATI to IW 10% OD damper and they recommend repinning like described. Did it myself. Its a bit of a pain. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Corvette Mikes in Anaheim charged me just under $800 in labor to install my ATI. 91 and Tustin about 20 minutes from Corona. I do my own work but this was more than I wanted to do without a lift. Good shop. Total was about $1200 including the ATI
Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
psxer989
Racer

Corvette Mikes was the shop that quoted me $1200 in labor. I'm sure they are a good shop but I'll never use them.

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Corvette Mikes in Anaheim charged me just under $800 in labor to install my ATI. 91 and Tustin about 20 minutes from Corona. I do my own work but this was more than I wanted to do without a lift. Good shop. Total was about $1200 including the ATI
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

That sucks. They just did mine in May. 8 hours at $98/hour. Wonder why the change?
Old 02-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

To pull the HB and install the new one, sub frame has to be lowered, then the steering rack has to be pulled. Also, some of the cars have a cooler in the way that needs to be removed a well.

Once you have it buttoned up, then the front end needs to be realigned.

As for the $1200 quote, it out of the repair manual, with some shops being able to do it and the alignment for cheaper.

As for pinning the crank, watch your drilling depth, since you do not want to blow through the back of the HB with the drill bit. Only drill the needed channel depth enough for the pin to fit, and no more (or will be breaking out the the RTV to seal of the back of the channel that you over drilled.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
psxer989
Racer

The steering rack doesn't seem like it is that difficult. What about the puller for the HB? I see some recommend the chrysler puller but is that the best way to go?

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Dano523
To pull the HB and install the new one, sub frame has to be lowered, then the steering rack has to be pulled. Also, some of the cars have a cooler in the way that needs to be removed a well.

Once you have it buttoned up, then the front end needs to be realigned.

As for the $1200 quote, it out of the repair manual, with some shops being able to do it and the alignment for cheaper.

As for pinning the crank, watch your drilling depth, since you do not want to blow through the back of the HB with the drill bit. Only drill the needed channel depth enough for the pin to fit, and no more (or will be breaking out the the RTV to seal of the back of the channel that you over drilled.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by psxer989
The steering rack doesn't seem like it is that difficult. What about the puller for the HB? I see some recommend the chrysler puller but is that the best way to go?

Thanks for the replies.
Pulling the stock HB is snap, since you are not going to reuse it (read OEM HB is a problem child and even worse when you are adding supercharger tension to it as well).
So any three jaw puller will work to pull the OEM HB off the crank.

It's putting the new ATI HB on that you need the pick up a HB installer tool (read don't try to use the HB bolt, or you are going to strip the crank threads as you try to press on the HB to the crank). Also, when you have the HB out, replace the HB cover seal. The seal mates to the HB in play, and when you install a new HB, want a new seal so it can mate in correctly.

If you are just planning pinning the OEM HB, then it does need to be removed to be pinned (Huge mistake, since you will tearing everything back down to replace the OEM shortly anyways).

Tool smaller threads get threaded all the way into the crank first so they have a full embed so you don't strip out the crank threads, then you use the larger threads with bearing shim and bolt to press the HB onto the crank.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-17-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:07 PM
psxer989
Racer

I think I've read in the past that A&A says the supercharger needs to be removed (mines the v3), but other than loosening the belt and removing the 8" tube to the intercooler, does the supercharger and bracket need to be removed?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:42 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

OK...I'm missing the boat big time here. I'm sure theres an explanation, but If the balancer pin is not lined up....then doesn't that mean that it slipped and didn't do its function anyway ?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 PM
psxer989
Racer

You misunderstood. I currently have the stock balancer, pinned but now I've got the wobble. Belt moves side to side and constantly chirps.

I'm replacing the balancer with an ATI. I can either repin with an new hole or I can use the existing pin and try to line up the new hole on the ATI. Repinning is the easiest method and I'll be going that route.

Originally Posted by windyC6
OK...I'm missing the boat big time here. I'm sure theres an explanation, but If the balancer pin is not lined up....then doesn't that mean that it slipped and didn't do its function anyway ?

Get notified of new replies

To Install of Harmonic Balancer question

Quick Reply: Install of Harmonic Balancer question