C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?

Well, guys, I have been lurking on the Mustang6G forum for several months and posted a few times, and thought I had pretty much made up my mind to get a GT Premium with PP because of its price, I have Z plan, and I had no idea Corvettes could be bought from certain dealers well under MSRP.

No offense, but I have never been interested in either the Mustang or any GM car until just now with this new Mustang and the C7. I knew nothing about either car, so Corvettes in particular also seemed so overpriced, especially when I didn't know the significance of all the other letter and numbers.

Anyway, I currently drive a Prius. I bought this just as a commuter when my commute each way was 50 miles. That no longer applies, and I have been dying to get rid of it ever since.

I really want to get out of the Prius as soon as possible, but I started thinking about just waiting a bit longer, saving up a bit more money and getting a 2016 C7. I started researching more about that car and I now know that for the same 35-40K that it costs to get the GT Premium with PP, you can get a 2006-2008 C6 Z06.

The car will be my 'daily driver', but I put this in quotes because I work from home and don't have to drive somewhere on any given day. Probably around 6,000 miles per year I would say. So, the car would not be driven in the rain or on really cold days. I'll just not leave the house or take the wife's SUV in those situations.

If I did opt for a new C7 though, it would just be a base (non-Z51) 2LT package. Pretty straight forward.

The main reason why I started rethinking my decision to get the Mustang is that I have always preferred tight handling over raw power, hence why I was never interested in it before. My car before the Prius was an RX-8, and the only thing I miss about that car is the on-rails feeling.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I mean, I know this is a Corvette forum, but still curious to hear the logic. I did already post this same thing on the mustang forum.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you drive both you will know the answer. they are very different cars and sitting on the web looking at specs. won't make that apparent. The size, seating position will probably make the decision an on the spot one for you.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Yeah, I have driven the Mustang 3 times now. I tried to drive a new C7, but that seems to be a big no-no. They did at least let me sit in it and play with the stereo. I have not had a change to chase after any C6s yet, as I just came to this realization last night! lol

I agree with you. I wish I could spend an entire week in each car. I don't think a quick 10-minute drive up a service road with a salesman is really going to be enough though.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Well, actually, it isn't just about the emotional reaction from sitting in the car.
I am leaning towards just biting the bullet, and waiting a little longer to get the C7.

But regarding the C6, some of the questions not related to just simply which car do I like better include:
Is a car that old really worth that much money?
Is it going to be reliable?
If I decide to go that route, who or where should I buy from?
Since the car has presumably taken the largest depreciation hit already, would it work as a nice transition piece for a couple years just so I can get out this dam Prius into something fun for awhile? Or, since it will be 'DD' (not really every day), is that going to make it drop even more value after only a couple years? I spent a few hours looking over ads in this forum and seems everybody only wants garage queens.
Is the car SO much better than a new Mustang to make it worth the same amount of money even though it is an 8-year old car??? I assume the car IS better, just to what extent.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously 2 very different cars, and this is the Corvette forum so you know what to expect.
What I will say though, is that I have never been a Mustang fan, and would not have considered buying one.... until now.
Ford really nailed it with the design on the 2015. Mean to the bone under any angle.
They finally lost the ugly bath tub rear end to a sexy angled one, and have replaced the big wide ugly rear glass with a narrower and much sportier one.
I test drove one (the eco boost) and really loved the feel of it. Tight ride. Love the Ford Sync system with the touch screen also.
The one thing that did not impress me though, is the sub par quality of the leather covering the seats. It already looked lose on brand new cars, so it must degrade pretty quickly I'd think.
Think I'd go with fabric seats if I had to get one.
Good luck with the choices!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Mustangs are everywhere FYI, I also was mulling over what to buy as a toy, either a Challenger SRT8 hemi, Mustang GT or Corvette, wound up with a 2011 Grand Sport, good decision as far as I'm concerned. I like'm all but then I' a car nut
NSF
Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the replies so far!

In addition to the question I already asked:
How much more expensive will basic maintenance/upkeep be on a corvette compared to a Mustang?

Not So Fast, What was the key or final factor that moved you to the C6?

Last edited by Djeayzonne; 02-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made this decision as I used to own a Mustang. I went with Corvette.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Nuff said.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've never owned a Mustang*, but I consider myself to be a car guy, so I've looked closely at Mustangs for a very long time, testing everything from Saleens to Roushs. This newest Mustang is certainly something to consider vs. a C7 or C6. But they really are completely different cars. I've driven my friend's RX extensively and know it quite well. And for those who say they can't test drive a new car, they're just not using their "resources." There are always used C7s ('14s), C6 ('13, '12, etc.) or Hertz and other rental companies to give you a day, a ride, whatever, etc.

I think you need real, "seat time" to make a decision and not off pics, testimonials, and specs. I think if you do that first, then come back and ask questions, frankly, most of your questions will already have been answered. That's assuming you know how to search on Corvette Forum, or just stay on here for about a month and read all the threads that pertain to your inquiry. It's really easy to do. Good luck.

* but that doesn't mean I never will. I'm still looking at them.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

Nuff said.
Beautiful car in that pic!

Lol, though, as I alluded to with my previous questions, it isn't that simple. If it were, then surely there would be no need for this thread nor would the Mustang continue to exist due to zero sales.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Consider a GS too.

You can pick one up for around 40k as well and it'll have lower/less beaten up miles than a Z, not to mention you'll probably still have some warranty left and not have to worry about the valvetrain problem.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Rob, Thanks for that bit of info. Not sure what the difference between a regular car and a GS is, but I will look into it.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

AORoads,

Yes, I agree. I think I will have to just go ahead and rent a C7 for a day even though you are only allowed 100 miles.....
Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 161 Posts

I have to second the nod for a grand sport. You will get 90% of the zo6 feel at a much lower price. Lots more to choose from. Auto or stick options. Convertible or removable roof.
Regarding maintenance - the c6 is a pretty well sorted out car especially the ls3 motor.
The new mustangs are as yet unproven in some of the engine tranny combos.
Ive driven the mustang,2014 vert and it was a fine car. I love my vetted. I get a thumbs up every time I'm out, not sure that would happen in a mustang
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I have to second the nod for a grand sport. You will get 90% of the zo6 feel at a much lower price. Lots more to choose from. Auto or stick options. Convertible or removable roof.
Regarding maintenance - the c6 is a pretty well sorted out car especially the ls3 motor.
The new mustangs are as yet unproven in some of the engine tranny combos.
Ive driven the mustang,2014 vert and it was a fine car. I love my vetted. I get a thumbs up every time I'm out, not sure that would happen in a mustang
Yup.

Seems like these days people get cars for "bragging rights".

Some people will never get the best out of a Z06 so getting one because you think it'll be a better track car means nothing if you don't even know the basics. Not saying this to anyone in particular, just in general.

The grand sport is almost everything the Z is, but more tame, because its a more streetable car.

Slightly less power yes but it's aimed to more of a "everyday car" type of audience. Slightly softer ride, less power, removable top (or convert) etc.

Plus if you ever are going to modify heavily or go FI, the LS3 is a better platform anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

stick with your prius
Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by KWC6
stick with your prius
Not a chance mate!!!!
I might actually have considered IF it could only be modded. But it cannot. Dumbest purchasing decision I have ever made, especially the reason for its purchase was negated like 5 months after buying it.... Been waiting for 2 years to get the wife's car paid off to get rid of this car.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

different cars.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 02-22-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?