C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take your vehicle in for the recall, or be responsible for future damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Take your vehicle in for the recall, or be responsible for future damage

After reading this a.m. in the AZ Star, I think that it should be criminal for not responding to a recall. The sited situation was the man in TX that had bought a used Honda and killed by the air-bag problem--shrapnell in the neck-- and it had been sold to him, his being unaware of the problem.

Not certain if low-beam problem is and has been life threatening, but it any event I am protecting myself and the future owner by getting the recall work done; I have paper-work evidence

What do you people think? It seems to me it is a personal responsibily of ownership.

Last edited by Jayhawk62; 02-25-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to wait for the spring. Won't take mine out in this weather.
Roads here on Long Island are awful. Full of salt and potholes.
My luck, I'll take it to the dealer and bend a rim.........
Old 02-25-2015, 03:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree: it is a personal responsibility. That means to me that it's also a personal responsibility of the next owner of a car as well to check and see if there are any outstanding (and left undone) recall corrections.

"I didn't know there was a recall," is about as bad as "I didn't know the law said X." Forget the law or legalities for a minute, the words, caveat emptor, have been around for a long time, and imo still apply to every successive owner of a car.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

I understand your situation; I am here in the sun Our cars, I think, could be classified as "toys" but still can/could be lethal to owners.

What really bothers me is the "used car" buyer who is unaware of a recall and really cannot afford a new car. Again the poor get the brunt of a definite problem.

Carfax does not cover this as far as I know, but could not there be a line about "this car was subject of a recall, be certain this was fixed".
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Regardless of financial ability -- why is it NOT the responsibility of the new owner to check this out????

Call or drive to dealer. Ask question. Problem solved. 15 minutes, tops.

I guess it is just WAY too much to ask that people take even the smallest amount of responsibility for their own good.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistoso Vecino
I understand your situation; I am here in the sun Our cars, I think, could be classified as "toys" but still can/could be lethal to owners.

What really bothers me is the "used car" buyer who is unaware of a recall and really cannot afford a new car. Again the poor get the brunt of a definite problem.

Carfax does not cover this as far as I know, but could not there be a line about "this car was subject of a recall, be certain this was fixed".
I do believe Carfax does state if there's any outstanding recalls on a car.

And it's not just automobiles, thousands of recalls that can cause injury or death. People need to do their homework.........

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

But all "people" do not do their homework or due diligence in research of what they are buying; they trust--the seller/dealer.

The most vulnerable in our society are the poor, uneducated, or those maybe not very fluent in English.

Being a social liberal, I think we should help people protect themselves. That means to me that any seller assures/proves to the buyer that the car is, if subject-to-recall, fixed.

Government (law) does a lot to protect society.....I do not see how this would cost a lot of $ and it would help people.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

But all "people" do not do their homework or due diligence in research of what they are buying; they trust--the seller/dealer.

The most vulnerable in our society are the poor, uneducated, or those maybe not very fluent in English.

Being a social liberal, I think we should help people protect themselves. That means to me that any seller assures/proves to the buyer that the car is, if subject-to-recall, fixed.

Government (law) does a lot to protect society.....I do not see how this would cost a lot of $ and it would help people.
So, who's fault is that! And if they are poor and uneducated enough not to be able to do some research maybe they shouldn't be driving either. That requires a drivers license.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you serious ??? If they are too undereducated or not fluent in English maybe they should try to get educated, learn English, and be a productive member of the society they are living in. If that's too much trouble for them, maybe they should go back where they came from.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The first thing I do when I get a used vehicle is have a dealer run the service records on the car to know what has been done and to find out what recall it needs to be brought in for. The guy that bought the Honda didn't take reasonable care to find out what his vehicle needed.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:26 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow....just what we need.....more Government Regulations.....tongue firmly planted in cheek.....
OP do you think that is why cars sold here in Arizona have an "as is "sticker."
Surely you are not expecting the rest of who are responsible... to make sure the uneducated are somehow our responsibility or the cars fault and not the owners being a smart consumer/buyer.....
You "lost me at Social Liberal"...
Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Why do I have to worry about a future owner. I'm not holding this car for anyone. As of this moment the car is 100% mine. My responsibilities are to me.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:44 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Being a social liberal
Well, that pretty much sums this thread up...... I'm out.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Buck Henry
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

No way am I responsible for my own actions (or inactions). It is always somebody else's fault! But not to worry; the government and/or my lawyer will take care of everything.

Oy veh!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 5knives
Why do I have to worry about a future owner. I'm not holding this car for anyone. As of this moment the car is 100% mine. My responsibilities are to me.
cause...I want a garage queen. please don't drive her much and wax her twice weekly.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Sneed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vistoso, you are all over the map on this:

That means to me that any seller assures/proves to the buyer that the car is, if subject-to-recall, fixed.

So it is Carfax's responsibility, the seller's responsibility and the government's responsibility to ensure all recall repairs have been made?

I think that it should be criminal for not responding to a recall
and if that isn't done, people should go to jail?
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Wow....just what we need.....more Government Regulations.....tongue firmly planted in cheek.....
OP do you think that is why cars sold here in Arizona have an "as is "sticker."
Surely you are not expecting the rest of who are responsible... to make sure the uneducated are somehow our responsibility or the cars fault and not the owners being a smart consumer/buyer.....
You "lost me at Social Liberal"...
^This hit the nail on the head. Couldn't agree more.

Get notified of new replies

To Take your vehicle in for the recall, or be responsible for future damage

Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

After reading this a.m. in the AZ Star, I think that it should be criminal for not responding to a recall. The sited situation was the man in TX that had bought a used Honda and killed by the air-bag problem--shrapnell in the neck-- and it had been sold to him, his being unaware of the problem.

Not certain if low-beam problem is and has been life threatening, but it any event I am protecting myself and the future owner by getting the recall work done; I have paper-work evidence

What do you people think? It seems to me it is a personal responsibily of ownership.
It is a responsibility of the owner, no doubt.
It is just as much a responsibility of a buyer of any vehicle to get the VIN # checked out by a dealer, or someone that can get recall and technical service bulletin information based on the VIN.

I did it when I bought my corvette, just so I would know what had been done to the car, and if there was any outstanding recalls.
That is why belonging to a car forum is beneficial, because one can ask the question, or the info is already in place.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
cause...I want a garage queen. please don't drive her much and wax her twice weekly.
That may actually be possible since I plan on relocating to TN after I retire.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

I am DEFINITELY NOT A LIBERAL and we have far too many laws and rules. As far as the recalls on your vehicles go, if you don't want to do it it's up to you BUT BUT BUT that recall notice you got in the mail could be making you aware of a potentially dangerous defect. If you sell your car and don't disclose this to the new owner you can't hide behind caviot emptor! Yes it is the new owners responsibility to have the car checked out but ANY lawyer worth his salt will have your butt sued for not disclosing faults of any kind to the new owner. He doesn't have to prove you got the recall letter, all he has to prove is you didn't check for a recall. These laws are in place to protect the ignorant. You think you have nothing to worry about but you do. Some of the awards being handed down by liberal thinking judges today would amaze you. Common sense is not so common.

Quick Reply: Take your vehicle in for the recall, or be responsible for future damage