C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight recall done at Van Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:43 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default headlight recall done at Van Chevrolet

Well they did the job, however when I got home and turned off the engine, the right side mirror started clicking and trying to reset itself, I think.

Was all set to drive back to the dealer and yell at them when I decided to simply try to reset the memory settings of the seats, mirrors, etc.

It worked, no more clicking.

Have any of you experienced this? It had me mildly upset til I figured it out.

Oh, and yes, they didn't reindex windows which I did when I reset mirrors.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by b09676
Well they did the job, however when I got home and turned off the engine, the right side mirror started clicking and trying to reset itself, I think.

Was all set to drive back to the dealer and yell at them when I decided to simply try to reset the memory settings of the seats, mirrors, etc.

My only question is.....why are you surprised?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

I had to re-program the memory settings for seats and mirrors.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
My only question is.....why are you surprised?
When the battery is disconnected usually everything needs to be reset...should be no surprise.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ruxvette
When the battery is disconnected usually everything needs to be reset...should be no surprise.
Seems to me that a professional job, which is certainly expected of a Chevrolet dealership, should include indexing the windows, etc.

The car should leave the dealership as clean as it came in, with customer feeling confident that a professional repair was made.

If the customer needs to re-program memory settings, he/she should be told that when the car is returned.
The average customer doesn't know if the battery was disconnected or not.

Unfortunately, far too many dealership repairs are substandard these days.

Last edited by Hameister; 03-27-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by b09676

How long did it take at Van's ? I'm taking mine there next month for the recall.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Seems to me that a professional job, which is certainly expected of a Chevrolet dealership, should include indexing the windows, etc.

The car should leave the dealership as clean as it came in, with customer feeling confident that a professional repair was made.

If the customer needs to re-program memory settings, he/she should be told that when the car is returned.

Unfortunately, for too many dealership repairs are substandard these days.
100%. Too often it feels like they are trying to get you in and out as quick as they can yet charge you a premium for substandard service.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
100%. Too often it feels like they are trying to get you in and out as quick as they can yet charge you a premium for substandard service.
Ya know, for many years when I have been charged for a repair that's say $100.00 for labor, I'll ask for their labor rate.

The dealer says, $50.00 per hour.
I say, then why did you charge me $100 for labor when the repair according to my watch took a total of 25 minutes?

Their answer is always the same.
The Chilton labor time book is 2.0 hours for that job, so that's what we charge.
If we have excellent mechanics that are faster, that is to our advantage.

You can argue until your ears fall off, that the charge should be only $50 at the most for 25 minutes, and you'd be wasting your breath.

The dealers always think that method is fair.
Imo, it's total BS, and there should be a law against them doing that, but there is not.
And, it's one of the reasons they are always rushing through the job, to try and beat the labor time, to make more money.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 PM
stp357
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya know, for many years when I have been charged for a repair that's say $100.00 for labor, I'll ask for their labor rate.

I say, then why did you charge me $100 for labor when the repair according to my watch took a total of 25 minutes?

The Chilton labor time book is 2.0 hours for that job, so that's what we charge.

You can argue until your ears fall off, that the charge should be only $50 at the most for 25 minutes, and you'd be wasting your breath.

Imo, it's total BS, and there should be a law against them doing that, but there is not.
And, it's one of the reasons they are always rushing through the job, to try and beat the labor time, to make more money.
This is why they are also known as stealerships!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

That is why my ZR1 will never see the service bays at Van's - I had a bad experience there a few years ago (and I bought a Z06 and previous owner of my ZR1 purchased it there) with their service manager and vowed I will never go there for any type of service/warranty work. The only Dealership I trust in the Phoenix Metro area is Thorobred Chevrolet as owner is a Corvette guy, service manager has Corvettes, etc.

Good luck with Van's!

Ron
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 PM
fred flintstone
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many products that help professional mechanics, shade-tree mechanics & DIYers prevent the loss of presets. For example, http://www.ebay.com/bhp/memory-saver. SnapOn also makes one. Is it just laziness on the part of the pro mechanics? Company policy? They want to let you know your car was worked on? I'll have the headlight recall done in mid-April (along with diagnosing a factory CD player that skips or won't play) & will post results. 2013 LT3 LS3 Night Race Blue Metallic convertible, A6. With 6300 miles.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do the same. When the work is done it requires disconnecting the battery which erases any memory of preset settings. My vert needed the windows reindexed....if thats the worst thing that happens to me, Im a happy guy.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I bought my GS at Vans but I wouldn't take my kids bike there for service. I might add I'd never by another car from them either.

Too bad you don't check the Az Corvette Forum. One of the guys works at Coulter Cadillac. They've done a ton of these repairs. Any GM dealer can do it. 1/2 hr while I waited and no resets.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't so much mind they go by the book but it seems that book time is a little inflated. On top of that they rush the mechanics to get done quicker to make more profit.

One of the last times I was at a dealership they brought to my attention a brake light that was out. They told me they could change it for me for $35. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

The next day I get a satisfaction survey call. I told them how I changed the bulb in literally one minute for less than $5. She said they can only bill in quarter hour increments but would bring it to the service managers attention.

Now I'm all for someone making a profit but I don't want to feel gouged when I leave. There are some jobs I just don't want to do and will pay to have someone do it if it's reasonable. I just want a job done right and attention paid to what they are doing.

Forgetting little things like indexing the windows on a Corvette isn't a big deal per se but it makes one wonder what other little things they forgot to do.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Magic Vette
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit unintuitively, it is called "flat rate".
Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Unfortunately, far too many dealership repairs are substandard these days.

You're being too kind.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stp357
This is why they are also known as stealerships!
Originally Posted by Rons65
That is why my ZR1 will never see the service bays at Van's - I had a bad experience there a few years ago (and I bought a Z06 and previous owner of my ZR1 purchased it there) with their service manager and vowed I will never go there for any type of service/warranty work. The only Dealership I trust in the Phoenix Metro area is Thorobred Chevrolet as owner is a Corvette guy, service manager has Corvettes, etc.

Good luck with Van's!

Ron
Originally Posted by fred flintstone
There are many products that help professional mechanics, shade-tree mechanics & DIYers prevent the loss of presets. For example, http://www.ebay.com/bhp/memory-saver. SnapOn also makes one. Is it just laziness on the part of the pro mechanics? Company policy? They want to let you know your car was worked on? I'll have the headlight recall done in mid-April (along with diagnosing a factory CD player that skips or won't play) & will post results. 2013 LT3 LS3 Night Race Blue Metallic convertible, A6. With 6300 miles.
Originally Posted by eddie44
I bought my GS at Vans but I wouldn't take my kids bike there for service. I might add I'd never by another car from them either.

Too bad you don't check the Az Corvette Forum. One of the guys works at Coulter Cadillac. They've done a ton of these repairs. Any GM dealer can do it. 1/2 hr while I waited and no resets.
Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
I don't so much mind they go by the book but it seems that book time is a little inflated. On top of that they rush the mechanics to get done quicker to make more profit.

One of the last times I was at a dealership they brought to my attention a brake light that was out. They told me they could change it for me for $35. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

The next day I get a satisfaction survey call. I told them how I changed the bulb in literally one minute for less than $5. She said they can only bill in quarter hour increments but would bring it to the service managers attention.

Now I'm all for someone making a profit but I don't want to feel gouged when I leave. There are some jobs I just don't want to do and will pay to have someone do it if it's reasonable. I just want a job done right and attention paid to what they are doing.

Forgetting little things like indexing the windows on a Corvette isn't a big deal per se but it makes one wonder what other little things they forgot to do.
Originally Posted by Magic Vette
A bit unintuitively, it is called "flat rate".
Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
[/B]

You're being too kind.
I find the reaction to my comments here most interesting.

I made very similar comments about dealers on another thread, and was told that I was too negative, and my remarks were unfair, etc.

On this thread, there is agreement. I must of gotten up on a different side of the Web this morning.

Get notified of new replies

To headlight recall done at Van Chevrolet

Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

To that recall, they have disconnect battery cause the wire is laid into the fuse block.
When I got my car back also had re-index the windows and seats.

I guess we will have to live with it, cause the tech doesn't reset anything.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
To that recall, they have disconnect battery cause the wire is laid into the fuse block.
When I got my car back also had re-index the windows and seats.

I guess we will have to live with it, cause the tech doesn't reset anything.
Just hope they did it, and did it properly.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:49 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just hope they did it, and did it properly.
We have Casey working there, he's the best!

Quick Reply: headlight recall done at Van Chevrolet