C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted 2005 to 2012 Centennial Steering Wheel---Problem Never Addressed on Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Converted 2005 to 2012 Centennial Steering Wheel---Problem Never Addressed on Forum

So I converted my 2005 Steering to the 2012 Centennial Alcantra Steering. I was told all I needed was the 2007-2013 clock spring and airbag to do the conversion. I swapped the clock spring/airbag/steering wheel but encountered an issue that is not discussed in the DIY thread. Since the new steering has steering wheel radio controls, there are several new wires that don't adapt to the 2005-2006 Corvette. The 2005-2006 only has a 4 prong connector (but 2 wires---yellow and grey) to make the horn work on the steering. The new 2007-2013 has 8 prongs and does not connect.

Anyway, I obviously could not connect these 2 wires, so I left it unplugged but connected the big yellow airbag plug that is a direct connect to make sure all is well. Everything is fine (no airbag light/CEL), but the horn does NOT work.

Is there a solution to make my horn work at least? I don't really care about the steering controls but obviously need my horn.

Can anyone help so I can at least get my horn to work? Anyone know which prongs are for the horn?

Here are some pics of the issue.....

Last edited by dr.stephan; 04-05-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I assume you've plugged in the connector for the new wheel under the airbag. Now you'll have to cut off the *under-dash* connector on the old 2005 clockspring harness (the one you removed), and splice that old 4-position female connector onto the new *under-dash* clocksping harness (the one you just installed) so you can plug it into your cars main harness 4-pin male connector shown in your 2nd photo.

I don't have the colors/pinouts of the ground and horn wires handy right now, but if someone doesn't chime in with them, I'll look them up later.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:07 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I think if you added an '07+ column harness it would take care of the problem but maybe not.

I don't remember what all is in this DIY but if you didn't see it already it might help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-finished.html
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I assume you've plugged in the connector for the new wheel under the airbag. Now you'll have to cut off the *under-dash* connector on the old 2005 clockspring harness (the one you removed), and splice that old 4-position female connector onto the new *under-dash* clocksping harness (the one you just installed) so you can plug it into your cars main harness 4-pin male connector shown in your 2nd photo.

I don't have the colors/pinouts of the ground and horn wires handy right now, but if someone doesn't chime in with them, I'll look them up later.
Thanks Kent. Yes, I just need to know what to connect the yellow and grey wires to from my old 2005 clock spring on the new clock spring??? The colors are obviously not the same. I looked online and on the forum and could not find any information. Please if you can let me know what to connect this will be very helpful to me and for anyone else looking to do the conversion in the future.

Originally Posted by RickT
I think if you added an '07+ column harness it would take care of the problem but maybe not.

I don't remember what all is in this DIY but if you didn't see it already it might help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-finished.html

Thanks Rick. I have a complete custom aftermarket audio/bluetooth setup (Kenwood 9990HD head unit), so I don't think I could get the steering controls to work regardless. I just want the horn to work......
Old 04-05-2015, 01:06 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Looks like the horn is the GRAY wire in the 2007 clockspring harness, in position "A" of the 8-way under-dash connector shown in your picture #3.

Still looking for which of the two pins in the 2005 body harness is the horn. From my notes, it *looks* like its a TAN wire, but if you have a test light, you could see which one has +12v (with the car powered off) -- I think that would be it.

I won't have access to my 2005-6 service manuals till I get home sometime tomorrow -- if you still need the info at that time, I'll have a look.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-05-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html
gray to brown and pink to black. well..that's from the 05 harness to the 06 clock spring. yours may be different.

Last edited by tennblkc6; 04-05-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 AM
dr.stephan
Racer

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html
gray to brown and pink to black. well..that's from the 05 harness to the 06 clock spring. yours may be different.
I checked and it turns out the 2005, 2006, and 2007-2013 clock springs all have different part numbers.

The 2005 only has 2 plugs into a 4 plug harness. Looks like they were already thinking of 06 change with the 05 4-plug harness.

Here is the 2005. There is only a Yellow/Tan wire and a Grey Wire. PLEASE help anyone with access to the service manual/info/ect......

Not sure if you have an 05 manual Kent?

Last edited by dr.stephan; 04-05-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did this yesterday, except mine is an 06. If you didn't buy the column harness, you have to remove the pins from the gray 8 pin connector and re pin them into your old black 4 pin connector from your original clock spring. You don't have to cut anything. Your black connector should be labeled A,B,C,D or 1,2,3,4. Pin the 4 wires from the gray connector locations A,B,C,D in to the old black connector so it will plug in to the mating connector under the column. A-A or 1, B-B or 2, C-C or 3, D-D or 4. The other 3 wires are for the radio controls.

This link probably explains it better. Pm me if I can help you further.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...65&app=WordPdf

Last edited by Xtremespeed; 04-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

I meant to add that in order to use the stereo controls, you will have to either build a harness to extend the other 3 wires from the gray connector to the stereo plug or replace the column harness. Extending 3 wires is easy and much cheaper. You would also need an 07 or newer radio that will accept the inputs or an aftermarket radio with an adapter for steering wheel controls.

Edit: Missed the part about the aftermarket radio. You can use a pac adapter with the 3 wires left over in the gray connector for steering wheel radio controls.

Last edited by Xtremespeed; 04-05-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:17 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
I just did this yesterday, except mine is an 06. If you didn't buy the column harness, you have to remove the pins from the gray 8 pin connector and re pin them into your old black 4 pin connector from your original clock spring. You don't have to cut anything. Your black connector should be labeled A,B,C,D or 1,2,3,4. Pin the 4 wires from the gray connector locations A,B,C,D in to the old black connector so it will plug in to the mating connector under the column. A-A or 1, B-B or 2, C-C or 3, D-D or 4. The other 3 wires are for the radio controls.

Thanks Xtreme for the help. I appreciate it. So A/B on my 05 Steering coil should coincide with the horn and the ground (at positions 1A/1B on the new 07-13 coil?)
Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

BTW,

Some crappy pics. Love this steering compared to the old dough boy. Could never call this an 05 Interior.....

My custom audio set up (that's a 1 piece box fitting infront of the convertible top. Was a pain, but worth it. Had the box red-stitched to match.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

I meant to add that in order to use the stereo controls, you will have to either build a harness to extend the other 3 wires from the gray connector to the stereo plug or replace the column harness. Extending 3 wires is easy and much cheaper. You would also need an 07 or newer radio that will accept the inputs or an aftermarket radio with an adapter for steering wheel controls.

Edit: Missed the part about the aftermarket radio. You can use a pac adapter with the 3 wires left over in the gray connector for steering wheel radio controls.
I didnt see the link. So exactly as explained, a/b corespond to the horn/ground.

Thanks xtreme. I appreciate the onedrive images tremendously. That's why this forum rules
Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Glad I could help.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Tj25
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Kudos to you man. i just did the upgrade from a 06 paddle shift steering to 2012 paddle shift steering. new steering plus a 07+ clockspring, rest was just like you described.

thank you for taking your time and writing this up
Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Excellent write up !!! I just added the SWC for stereo and blue tooth to my custom wheel in my 2006 Z06. Clock spring ordered and I'll modify my existing steering column wiring harness for the 3 additional connections to connect to a PAC-SWI-PS which will control the new Pioneer HU.

Get notified of new replies

To Converted 2005 to 2012 Centennial Steering Wheel---Problem Never Addressed on Forum

Quick Reply: Converted 2005 to 2012 Centennial Steering Wheel---Problem Never Addressed on Forum