C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Year Old Man Kills Himself First Day He Drove his Corvette

Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Good Friday rollover crash in Farmington claims the life of Richard Padgham...

A very tragic story out of Farmington, NY...prayers for Marilyn and the rest of the Padgham family.

http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20150403/NEWS/150409800

Good Friday rollover crash in Farmington claims the life of Richard Padgham, injures his wife Marilyn

FARMINGTON — The community is mourning the loss of a local man who died in a crash Friday evening on Allen Padgham Road in Farmington.

Longtime Pumpkin Hook resident Richard S. Padgham, 73, of 5852 Allen Padgham Road, died in the crash that happened shortly after 5:30 p.m. According to Ontario County Sheriff’s Sgt. David Cirencione, Mr. Padgham and his passenger, Marilyn A. Padgham, 71, began traveling east on Allen Padgham Road in a blue 2008 Chevy Corvette convertible.

After traveling just a few hundred feet, Mr. Padgham lost control of the vehicle and traveled off the south side of the highway, striking a culvert and overturning several times, Cirencione said. Mr. Padgham was pronounced dead at the scene by Ontario County Coroner Kevin Henderson, and was transported to F.F. Thompson Hospital for an autopsy to determine the cause of his death.

"It is a terrible tragedy ... it’s a sad time,” Farmington Town Supervisor Ted Fafinski said Saturday. He added the Padgham family is one of the oldest farming families in the town, going back generations.

According to Cirencione, Marilyn Padgham was able to extricate herself from the vehicle. She suffered lacerations to the face and head. She was alert and conscious, sitting up and able to speak at the scene, he said. She was taken by Victor Farmington Ambulance to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment. She had been discharged from Strong as of Saturday afternoon.

Farmington Volunteer Fire Association, Victor-Farmington Ambulance and Ontario County sheriff’s deputies responded to the crash, which occurred just west of Hook Road and east of Pumpkin Hill Park.

Both occupants were wearing their seat belts at the time of the crash, and no other vehicles were involved in the collision. Although it’s still early in the investigation and everything is being carefully examined, alcohol does not appear at this point to have been a factor, Cirencione said.

Some family members are believed to have witnessed the crash, and others arrived a short time later. They watched from a short distance, visibly distraught as first responders and the Ontario County Reconstruction Team worked at the scene.

Allen Padgham Road, between Hook and Bowerman roads, was closed for about three hours following the crash, Cirencione said.

Messenger Post reporter Julie Sherwood contributed to this report.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sorry to hear of anyone dying in any car crash ... no matter what kind of a car they were in.

But, I have to ask .... Who is Richard Padgham?

Someone we should all know?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Sorry to hear of anyone dying in any car crash ... no matter what kind of a car they were in.

But, I have to ask .... Who is Richard Padgham?

Someone we should all know?
I didn't know him. I just copied the article as it was written. A fellow C6 Corvette owner nonetheless.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Very sad!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Very sad!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 161 Posts

Fwiw-another article noted that they had bought the car the day before the accident.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

"After traveling just a few hundred feet, Mr. Padgham lost control of the vehicle and traveled off the south side of the highway" "Some family members are believed to have witnessed the crash" Doing a burnout for the family?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock

"Another article noted that they had bought the car the day before the accident".
Originally Posted by CMY SIX

"Some family members are believed to have witnessed the crash".
My guess is that nobody in that particular family will be buying anymore Corvettes anytime soon.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Trying to learn something from this-

The windshield appears to be mostly upright, I wonder if some misc object along the shoulder speared him in the head?

Usually, I snicker when GM says the C6 and C7 windshield frames meet the federal rollover standards for sedans; those standards are pretty wimpy. The coupe has the same W/S frame plus the halo and is noticably better. But in this case, the convertible W/S frame looks to have performed as advertised.

Sad for the whole family...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Seems like the guy was doing a bit of showing off, was inexperienced, and this is the result. Even at 430 hp these things can get scary pretty quickly if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Trying to learn something from this-

The windshield appears to be mostly upright, I wonder if some misc object along the shoulder speared him in the head?

Usually, I snicker when GM says the C6 and C7 windshield frames meet the federal rollover standards for sedans; those standards are pretty wimpy. The coupe has the same W/S frame plus the halo and is noticably better. But in this case, the convertible W/S frame looks to have performed as advertised.

Sad for the whole family...
I agree. One of the first things I noticed was the A pillars were still there and upright.

Sorry for the loss. Perhaps cold road, cold tires too much throttle
Old 04-06-2015, 06:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, it IS sad but it does remind me of something. After all, this past week "Fast and Furious" number 5 or so came out in theaters and broke all the attendance/dollars records. I think of the star who was killed with a semi-pro driver not far from where they got in the car---not much different from this couple. As said above, regardless of the make of car, it's sad when someone dies in a car accident.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Seems like the guy was doing a bit of showing off, was inexperienced, and this is the result. Even at 430 hp these things can get scary pretty quickly if you don't know what you're doing.
Kind of a bold and unfeeling statement if you did not witness the accident. Did you see it or just decide to say something to jump to a conclusion.

Sad prayers for the victum and the family.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 04-06-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

damn that sucks.... feel bad for the family.. don't understand that he overturned several times tho,,, wonder how fast he was going..
Old 04-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Kind of a bold and unfeeling statement if you did not witness the accident. Did you see it or just decide to say something to jump to a conclusion.

Sad prayers for the victum and the family.
Other articles mentioned some more info. 73yr old Mr Padgham acquired the car the day before. He never had a vette so he wasnt familiar with its power. Most likely doing some innocent show boating when he left and the car got squirrely on him. He over corrected it and sent it off the side of the road.
Definitely sad for everyone involved

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Year Old Man Kills Himself First Day He Drove his Corvette

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

This happened 20-some miles from me, and I saw it on the news. (I've lived here for 33 years and I've never heard of the family name, FWIW.)

I was of course very curious as to what happened, and I still don't know. I was hoping this thread had new info in it, but I'll have to wait. However, the local news did NOT say that he had just bought it -- as a poster above said.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Default 73 Year Old Man Kills Himself First Day He Drove his Corvette

73 year old man killed himself the first day he took out his 2008 corvette convertible.his 71 year old wife survived.he did not make it 500 feet from his driveway before he spun out flipped the car and ended up in the ditch.this guy probally came from driving his buick to the vette.the road was cold and so were the tires.most likely winter salt still on the road.this is one of the reasons that the corvette has killed more people than any other car in history.these rookies have no idea the power of newer vettes,especially old people who buy them because they can afford them.
Chevrolet Corvette

The Chevrolet (NYSE:GM) Corvette is not one of the most dangerous cars of all time due to a lack of safety features but because of the reckless nature that tends to go hand-in-hand with speed enthusiasts who purchase the vehicle.

Because of Corvette drivers’ tendency to love launching the car into speeds as fast as it can possibly handle, the Corvette has reportedly killed more people than any other car in history. An estimated 5.2 drivers and passengers die in car accidents for every 10,000 1985-1987 model year Corvettes registered in the U.S., according to a study from 1990 reported on by the Associated Press. That’s pretty high, considering that the lowest rate is calculated at 0.6 deaths per 10,000 vehicles for the Volvo 740-760 four-door.

Some Corvettes can go from 0 to 60 in only 3.3 seconds (at least these days), and a lot of overzealous drivers have had a fatally hard time appropriately and safely handling that amount of power in one tiny fiberglass vehicle.

link to accident
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...rash/25277283/
Old 04-06-2015, 07:38 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Dupe...but still very sad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 73 Year Old Man Kills Himself First Day He Drove his Corvette