C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take for my c6 to match Z performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does it take for my c6 to match Z performance

As the title says. What does it take for a base C6 to match the performance of a z06.

I have thought time and time again of selling my 08 base coupe and getting a z06. Would just add boltons and a tune if i ever did. My current car is a cammed/heads, headered car making about 500rwhp.

My next move was to get z06 brakes, and the johnny o connell stage 1 kit (sway bars, bushings, and shock n struts).

Would i even be close to a z peformance after this?

Do i need to get a z if im going to be adding things left and right?

Do i need to get a zr1?

I can afford a zr1/z06 but im also kinda tight so if i could fix up my 08 to perform well i will just modify her more.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

only you can answer what is "worth" it.. if you get a Z06 you will want it to be as good as a ZR1. if you get a ZR1 you will want it to be as good as a new Z06...

just go get the best of the best and buy a new Z06 if you're going to get crazy about it....

if you can use some restraint all you need is the suspension and brake upgrade. an LS3 with a cam and heads will match the acceleration of a stock Z06.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

there's many aspects for it to match so in short it likely never will...

acceleration, braking, handling, looks, etc. etc. etc.

It's all about what makes you happy in the end. I enjoy my ride the way it's setup. ZR1+ acceleration(well over 600rwhp), above base average braking/suspension (Bilstein & Stoptech), and I can take the roof off (suck it Z06/ZR1).
Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The proper attitude on your behalf. I like my Vette, I do not care so much about the C7.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible to get there on straight line, cornering, and everything else. However, it's likely cheaper to get the whole package by buying a Z06.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

If you can afford a zr1/z06, get it.

If the budget is tight, that means you can't afford it. Plain and simple.

You thinking about further modding your current C6 could also mean you really can't afford a zr1 or z06.

Just enjoy whatever you have now.

I get crap all the time about my GS because "oh man you didn't get a z06, why not man? Its better". Usually it comes from people who really don't know about cars. They like cars but when it comes to cars they don't know anything.

If your mentality is always to compete with whats out there, you'll go crazy. Because someone else is always faster. If you make your car as fast a z06, you'll want it to be zr1 fast. Then you'll want it to be modded GTR fast. Then you'll want to do cosmetic mods to make it look more "exotic" and rarer looking. Then you'll regret it and wish you just gotten a C7. Then if you do that, then you'll be back to square one cause you wish it was C7Z fast.

Then if you get to that point, the C8 is out LOL. And so on and so on.

Basically what we're saying is who cares what's fast out there. If you wanna make more power, make more power but it looks like you wanna compete with someone you know who has such and such car and that gets you nowhere.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:45 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
As the title says. What does it take for a base C6 to match the performance of a z06.
$$$$$
Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 AM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

damn. good points. ive got to come to a place of peace (dr phil moment). I have the unfortunate mentality of always wanting more. and thats with everything in my life. one of you said once i get a zr1 etc, ill eventually want a c7z, and so on and so on.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

If you're talking about straight line only....that's easy....a super charger. But that could set you back about 6-7-K
Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

To answer your questions simply, you're already above Z06 power with your current set up. Adding Z brakes and the JOC kit should help you match the handling and braking too. You're only about $2k away. But if what you truly want is a Z (Z06/ZR1) then no amount of modding will ever be "enough" for you. Even if you turn your base car into a widebodied 800rwhp beast with world class handling and braking, the fact that it isn't a Z will always be tearing away at you. That is something you have to come to terms with and only you can decide if you can.

You mention you can afford a Z06/ZR1 but then you also say you're tight. I'm assuming that to mean your budget is tight and not that you're a cheap-*** who doesn't want to spend the money? A tight budget does not lend itself to modding big and/or trading up. Being able to make payments on something does not mean it wont put you in a bad spot financially. Make smart decisions.

My advice? Maybe complete your last 2 mod ideas, (brakes/JOC) and then spend less time on the forums and more time driving your Vette. Sometimes spending too much time on here reading about 10 second time slips and high horsepower builds, gives you the false impression that everyone is driving a supercar. When in reality when you go out for a ride and really enjoy your Vette, you see how fortunate you are just to own one. JMO
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Why would you need to get a ZR1? You seemed to jump from getting similar performance with your base to buying a ZR1.

Are you at the strip a lot? Are you going to the track a lot? Are you unsatisfied with how your car feels or do you just want to go faster than someone else? It all depends on what you're looking for, and more specifically why you're looking for it.

Best of luck
Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

C6 Z06 and ZR1 don't have a removable roof. While cornering and acceleration are important, that's one thing that would make my decision easier if I was in your shoes. It also sounds like you enjoy modifying as much as driving so maybe that process is what keeps you excited and offers another good reason to keep working on what you have.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
$$$$$
BINGO! ! Drive over to Lingifelter have them do an engine and suspension package. Or go buy a ZR1. You already have 500 at the wheels,what are you looking for enough power to roast the hides with your big toe?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

We've all been where you are at one time or another. This is more about you than it is about your car. 500rwhp actually sounds pretty stout to most of us running a stock LS2/3/7.

If you are the sort of person that just has to do something to make your car different and special you are going to want to modify anything you get. In that situation it's often difficult to ever really be happy because there is always more to be done, the idea of "enough" simply doesn't exist. You need to sit down and write out the specs for the dream car that will make you happy and end the agony. Be really honest with yourself, will such a car really make you happy and for how long? If you can't imagine owning and not modifying your dream car for several years the issue is you not the car. If you can imagine living with the dream car without constantly improving it I'd say it's time to start planning on how to get that dream car.

You want to know why so many "old guys" own Covettes? It's because they couldn't afford or couldn't justify owning such a car while raising a family and getting their finances in order when they were in their 20's, 30's and 40's. For most of us life is an endless series of compromises, unless you are blessed with unlimited resources you will have to make compromises. It's as simple as that.

My suggestion is to define that dream car and give us a chance to help you reach that goal. Everyone likes to plan a project car, what's it going to take, what's your goal?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

damn. good points. ive got to come to a place of peace (dr phil moment). I have the unfortunate mentality of always wanting more. and thats with everything in my life. one of you said once i get a zr1 etc, ill eventually want a c7z, and so on and so on.
There's a line between want, need, and practical that only you can draw. It's normal to want more and without that desire, humans would just be another animal on the planet. Need is that mental state that assumes a goal can be accomplished, while practical is the limiting factor to actually accomplishing the goal.

You've stated the want as matching Z06 performance, not simply owning a Z06. The need is to have that degree of performance. The practical part is the answers to questions you are asking to accomplish resolving the want.

5knives advice is good to complete the two mods you've mentioned, but would be better by adding appropriately sized wheels and capable tires to the list. (also requires a wide body kit)

While it appears you have the capability to satisfy this want, just do it now. There will always be more wants in the future to keep you busy and life interesting.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Well it's easy to point out major flaws cause for one, you said you have 500rwhp right? In a straight line thats already a bit quicker than a stock z since they put down 450ish rwhp?

I think you have insecurity issues man. Nothing wrong with that, we all been there. But when modifying a car like this you need self control cause you'll go broke.

My suggestion is try to make yourself happy with your car now or sell it and get a real z cause let's say you make a bit more power, you upgrade the brakes ,suspension, add another 5-7k into it doing that.

You're happy for a bit then you go cruising, stop at a light and a c6z pulls up, your insecurities will immediately want to be fed and you'll be back to square one.

You'll start regretting, youll start looking for z's for sale. You'll see how else you can make your current car faster etc.

Its a vicious circle.

Get notified of new replies

To What does it take for my c6 to match Z performance

Quick Reply: What does it take for my c6 to match Z performance