C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 warranty void question !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 warranty void question !!!!

I have read many threads with many many OPINIONS on weather modding exhaust will void drivetrain warranty on a c6 I know headers will, but my 2013 comes with 4 cats, if I were to remove the two on the x pipe that DONT have O2 censors will I be voiding warranty And why? Please share FACTS.

Thanks in advance

-Adam
Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I understand what you're trying to get at, but the fact is there is no definite answer to this. If you have a powertrain problem a dealer may or may not notice the two missing cats, and may or may not decide to deny warranty service based on it. At that point you might be successful in arguing that your mod could not have been the cause of the problem. Your case would be weakened by the fact that it is federally illegal to remove cats or even to replace a working cat with another. Having said all that. personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by John Harry
I understand what you're trying to get at, but the fact is there is no definite answer to this. If you have a powertrain problem a dealer may or may not notice the two missing cats, and may or may not decide to deny warranty service based on it. At that point you might be successful in arguing that your mod could not have been the cause of the problem. Your case would be weakened by the fact that it is federally illegal to remove cats or even to replace a working cat with another. Having said all that. personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Okay that's a fair point you've made, I believe the 05-08 models only have two cats instead of four, so I guess it must be something Gm is doing for future emissions laws, and I know it's illegal to run cat-less. But if I still have the two primary cats and remove the second set am I considered Breaking the law still? In regards to the previous models only having two. Also I appreciate the info and input. I just got the car for a stunning deal with a stunning warranty and don't want to jeopardize it.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam.c6
Okay that's a fair point you've made, I believe the 05-08 models only have two cats instead of four, so I guess it must be something Gm is doing for future emissions laws, and I know it's illegal to run cat-less. But if I still have the two primary cats and remove the second set am I considered Breaking the law still? In regards to the previous models only having two. Also I appreciate the info and input. I just got the car for a stunning deal with a stunning warranty and don't want to jeopardize it.
Don't try to tippy-toe around the issue, the four cats are required and thinking it's ok to remove the second two cats because the older version of you car only has two is only kidding yourself.

Will you get caught? Not a clue. Will it void some portion the GM warranty? Could be.

The question is what do you hope to gain by removing them? The four cat engines carry the same rating as the two cat engines.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I asked my dealer the same question and they said a modification to the drive train will not void the warranty unless the modification is the direct cause of the problem. Then it is up to GM to prove the modification caused the problem. What about dealers that do modifications to car before selling it?

This issue was discussed a lot in the C5 forum.

Last edited by Zilla; 06-07-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Don't try to tippy-toe around the issue, the four cats are required and thinking it's ok to remove the second two cats because the older version of you car only has two is only kidding yourself.

Will you get caught? Not a clue. Will it void some portion the GM warranty? Could be.

The question is what do you hope to gain by removing them? The four cat engines carry the same rating as the two cat engines.
Guard dad the point is to not have my vette sound like a Prius with an ls3.. What do I hope to "gain"? Probably not much but if I where to add a cat-less X pipe I would be removing them ..and that was my main concern.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by Zilla
I asked my dealer the same question and they said a modification to the drive train will not void the warranty unless the modification is the direct cause of the problem. Then it is up to GM to prove the modification caused the problem. What about dealers that do modifications to car before selling it?

This issue was discussed a lot in the C5 forum.
There we go, perfect. Thank you that makes the most sense and yes I have read some threads on it but everyone has an opinion based on their assumptions and never found a straight answer but Now I'm informed. Appreciate it

-Adam
Old 06-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam.c6
Guard dad the point is to not have my vette sound like a Prius with an ls3.. What do I hope to "gain"? Probably not much but if I where to add a cat-less X pipe I would be removing them ..and that was my main concern.
Why didn't you say this is about getting the right sound in the first place!?!

Do you have the NPP Dual Mode Exhaust on the car?

Have you looked into the numerous axle back aftermarket muffler systems?

You should be able to get the sound that you are after without creating warranty or emissions issues by altering the emissions system.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 06-08-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Z27LS3
2nd Gear

warranty void is extremely unlikely unless there is a branded title, warranty repair denied is much more possible. the only time a warranty repair should be denied is when the problem is a consequence or related directly to the modification and can be proven to have been caused by the "non-GM parts". its a huge grey area and
the dealers simply "don't want to help" or "are worried the repairs that they warranty will not be reimbursed back by GM". dealers who get involved in bogus warranty repairs can be charged back or worse, audited.

if you have legit warranty problems I see no reason why the dealer would not take care of them. I would ask to work directly with the service manager if needed and if he (Or she) is no help you can always call GM and report the dealer and ask for help.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:39 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If you want to know the correct answer to your question by the only opinion that really matters...you should ask CHEVY CUSTOMER SERVICE or WARRANTY SERVICE at their headquarters. Or..read your owners manual under WARRANTY...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Why didn't you say this is about getting the right sound in the first place!?!

Do you have the NPP Dual Mode Exhaust on the car?

Have you looked into the numerous axel back aftermarket muffler systems?

You should be able to get the sound that you are after without creating warranty or emissions issues by altering the emissions system.
I don't have the dual mode no and I hear even with the axle back systems it won't give a much louder sound because of the second set of cats, and matter of fact I would like to muffler delet and go straight piped (with 2 cats )
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by Z27LS3
warranty void is extremely unlikely unless there is a branded title, warranty repair denied is much more possible. the only time a warranty repair should be denied is when the problem is a consequence or related directly to the modification and can be proven to have been caused by the "non-GM parts". its a huge grey area and
the dealers simply "don't want to help" or "are worried the repairs that they warranty will not be reimbursed back by GM". dealers who get involved in bogus warranty repairs can be charged back or worse, audited.

if you have legit warranty problems I see no reason why the dealer would not take care of them. I would ask to work directly with the service manager if needed and if he (Or she) is no help you can always call GM and report the dealer and ask for help.
Solid and great info thanks for the feed back
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
If you want to know the correct answer to your question by the only opinion that really matters...you should ask CHEVY CUSTOMER SERVICE or WARRANTY SERVICE at their headquarters. Or..read your owners manual under WARRANTY...
Very true and i will be doing that thank you
Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

If you remove any of the cats, your going to void the warranty.

The cats are back pressure on the system, which the car is OEM tuned for that amount of back pressure to adhere to that year smog standards, which in turn is used in conjunction with the TM for the amount of power that the back tires/drive line can receive at any given time.

So if you pull any of the cats, and say have a torque tube problem, they are going to blame it on the cat removed, which allowed the motor make more power, and which in turn caused the torque tube (or any other drive line) problem in the first place.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Adam.c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by Dano523
If you remove any of the cats, your going to void the warranty.

The cats are back pressure on the system, which the car is OEM tuned for that amount of back pressure to adhere to that year smog standards, which in turn is used in conjunction with the TM for the amount of power that the back tires/drive line can receive at any given time.

So if you pull any of the cats, and say have a torque tube problem, they are going to blame it on the cat removed, which allowed the motor make more power, and which in turn caused the torque tube (or any other drive line) problem in the first place.
Well said, and considering that what if just muffler delete, would it be loud? I had a c5 no mufflers it was loud at wot but it only had 2 cats, how much difference do the extra 2 cats make in sound ?
Old 06-07-2015, 03:23 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

After removing the cats you will need a tune. GM now requires dealers to scan for tunes. Voiding warranties if they find a tune, or that there ever was a tune.

Best bet is to establish a relationship with a dealer that is mod friendly. As long as the problem is not caused by the mod they will fix it under warranty. They want the business.

You probably will be self insured for the power train.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Why not run hi flo cats with the axle back system of your choice?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 warranty void question !!!!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sure there are certain issues and price points that forces the dealership to fully disclose and communicate with GM, and they probably have check lists and things to watch out for before getting confirmation on a warranty repair.

2013 here also - my take on it is, you fiddle with it, you assume potential responsibility for it, so go into it with that mindset and anything that happens will be alright. if you don't feel good about that, don't mess with it, IMO. stick to an axle back if it makes you uncomfortable.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Removing the two rear cat's will defiantly void the warranty. The C6 was turned with them in place. In addition you will void the emissions warranty which is a federal offense.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
After removing the cats you will need a tune. GM now requires dealers to scan for tunes. Voiding warranties if they find a tune, or that there ever was a tune.

Best bet is to establish a relationship with a dealer that is mod friendly. As long as the problem is not caused by the mod they will fix it under warranty. They want the business.

You probably will be self insured for the power train.
no tune required removing the 2 added cats. there are no sensors checking on them, and the car doesn't run too rich or lean without them. a tune would be optimal, but it's not required.

Quick Reply: C6 warranty void question !!!!