C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup camera install inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Calvin59
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backup camera install inquiry

I've done a bit of reading on this topic but unable to find an answer to this. I have a 2006 coupe, a DNX 690HD and a basic backup camera. I am in the process of installing both units in my Vette.

I'm struggling with how to wire the camera. I know that on the radio head unit there was a wire that indicated "reverse sensor". Then on the CMOS-04 adaptor, there was a wire that called to be attached to the "reverse sensor" wire from the head unit. I've done that.

Now the camera has a wire that requires to be powered when the vehicles is in reverse (red wire).

My question: do all 3 wires get connected together and powered to the backup light fuse from the fuse box? Would that work?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Post in the audio/electro section under general corvette good luck
Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvin59
I've done a bit of reading on this topic but unable to find an answer to this. I have a 2006 coupe, a DNX 690HD and a basic backup camera. I am in the process of installing both units in my Vette.

I'm struggling with how to wire the camera. I know that on the radio head unit there was a wire that indicated "reverse sensor". Then on the CMOS-04 adaptor, there was a wire that called to be attached to the "reverse sensor" wire from the head unit. I've done that.

Now the camera has a wire that requires to be powered when the vehicles is in reverse (red wire).

My question: do all 3 wires get connected together and powered to the backup light fuse from the fuse box? Would that work?
You have to connect the camera red wire to the reverse light wire of your car.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Calvin59
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
You have to connect the camera red wire to the reverse light wire of your car.

Thanks, LV2Tour. So then the "reverse camera" wire from the head unit and the "reverse camera" wire from the GMOS-04 adapter can simply be wired together and do not have to be powered to the reverse light wire of the car?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Calvin59
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ATC399
Post in the audio/electro section under general corvette good luck

Thanks ATC399,

However I'm confused. I thought I was in "General". And, I dont see any "audio / electro section".

There is:
C6 ZR1
C6 General
C6 Tech & Perf.
C6 FI/Nitrous
C6 Z06
C6 Dealer Inventory
C6 For Sale
C6 Parts
C6 Vendor for sale
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, LV2Tour. So then the "reverse camera" wire from the head unit and the "reverse camera" wire from the GMOS-04 adapter can simply be wired together and do not have to be powered to the reverse light wire of the car?
Not quite. You have to splice the camera wires to the actual reverse light wires in the back of the car.
Here is a video of hooking up a Kenwood unit as you have. Hopefully this will help.
I would solder the wires, not use crimps personally.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

The audio section

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Calvin59
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Not quite. You have to splice the camera wires to the actual reverse light wires in the back of the car.
Here is a video of hooking up a Kenwood unit as you have. Hopefully this will help.
I would solder the wires, not use crimps personally.
BackUP Camera Install Corvette C6 with Kenwood - YouTube
Thank you for your prompt reply. I've watched the video previously a number of times but it doesn't answer the question. I understand that the camera wire (power) needs to be attached to the reverse light wires of the car.

What is unclear to me is what do I do with the wire that comes out of one of the connectors in the back of the head unit with a label on it with something like "reverse wire". And then there is the other adapter that we all had to get to maintain the door chime and Bose amp features etc... I think it's called the GMOS-04??. There is a wire that comes out of that adapter that says to attach to the reverse wire on the head unit.

That is what I've done. Head unit reverse wire attached to the reverse wire of the GMOS-04 adapter. Question - was that okay? or should they also be attached to the reverse lights of the car?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for your prompt reply. I've watched the video previously a number of times but it doesn't answer the question. I understand that the camera wire (power) needs to be attached to the reverse light wires of the car.

What is unclear to me is what do I do with the wire that comes out of one of the connectors in the back of the head unit with a label on it with something like "reverse wire". And then there is the other adapter that we all had to get to maintain the door chime and Bose amp features etc... I think it's called the GMOS-04??. There is a wire that comes out of that adapter that says to attach to the reverse wire on the head unit.

That is what I've done. Head unit reverse wire attached to the reverse wire of the GMOS-04 adapter. Question - was that okay? or should they also be attached to the reverse lights of the car?
I think you got it right. I just installed a new Kenwood that I had Dennis At Double D Mods pre wire for me. I also purchased a basic camera. I only had to connect the camera to a power source at the back of the car (reverse lights) and then run the video wire only to the head unit. So you are correct, the wire from the GMOS-04 is for the head unit only and will tell the unit to switch automatically to the reverse camera input when the car is in reverse. Of course the reverse lights will power the camera in the back and the camera sends the signal to the HU through the video cable.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Calvin59
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I think you got it right. I just installed a new Kenwood that I had Dennis At Double D Mods pre wire for me. I also purchased a basic camera. I only had to connect the camera to a power source at the back of the car (reverse lights) and then run the video wire only to the head unit. So you are correct, the wire from the GMOS-04 is for the head unit only and will tell the unit to switch automatically to the reverse camera input when the car is in reverse. Of course the reverse lights will power the camera in the back and the camera sends the signal to the HU through the video cable.
Thank you so much for your response. Cheers.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup camera install inquiry

Quick Reply: Backup camera install inquiry