C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver display says "Left front tire flat" anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver display says "Left front tire flat" anyone else?

I got 2 new front tires Friday July 24th no problem on way home or short drive then drove to gas station and the message came on. After that the :check fuel system" light came on on way home but didn't come on today . Drove to Pawley's Island (340 miles from home" the tire message never came on until we stopped for lunch. Came on and went back off. I checked tire pressure before leaving had 34 all around. Oh, and theee dealer did a 4 wheel alignment.

Last edited by Luke's Papa; 07-26-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

That's how the TPM start to go,then you may get XX reading. I switched my RF last summer. And now tomorrow I'm getting the RR done. 10' GS.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 PM
schmihe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Luke's Papa
I got 2 new front tires Friday July 24th no problem on way home or short drive then drove to gas station and the message came on. After that the :check fuel system" light came on on way home but didn't come on today . Drove to Pawley's Island (340 miles from home" the tire message never came on until we stopped for lunch. Came on and went back off. I checked tire pressure before leaving had 34 all around. Oh, and theee dealer did a 4 wheel alignment.
I have a 2007 that just began to do the same thing only for the right front tire. I found out as you will see from other replies that the sensor battery goes bad. Heard that the OEM sensor is from Schrader and that is the best to do to replace them. Also found out from a tire dealer in my area that my mechanic took the car to said that as long as there is air when you check with the gauge it is OK

Last edited by schmihe; 07-26-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add to reply
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Two or three times a week for just a few minutes mine would read flat for the right rear. Bought a new OEM unit from Amazon and had it installed. Works perfectly as do the other three originals. BTW 34 psi is too much for a cold tire.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Originally Posted by TerryL
Two or three times a week for just a few minutes mine would read flat for the right rear. Bought a new OEM unit from Amazon and had it installed. Works perfectly as do the other three originals. BTW 34 psi is too much for a cold tire.
What should it be? The dealer had 36 in both new front tires and the sidewall had a max of 38. They are no high end Z rated tires but a set of continentals they had on sale (so they say)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

What should it be? The dealer had 36 in both new front tires and the sidewall had a max of 38. They are no high end Z rated tires but a set of continentals they had on sale (so they say)
They should start out at 30 cold (first thing in the morning). 36 is way too high and will cause a wear ring around the middle of the tread. Z rated tires are not high end anymore. I would bet that your Continentals are at least W if not Y rated...both better than the 149 mph Z rating.

The speed rating is right on the sidewall...you don't need to take the dealer's word for it. For example:
285-35-ZR-19 93Y......"Y" is the speed rating (186mph).

Unless it's a snow tire, it would be unusual for a tire made in a Corvette size not to have at least a "W" rating.

Last edited by cclive; 07-27-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by schmihe
I have a 2007 that just began to do the same thing only for the right front tire. I found out as you will see from other replies that the sensor battery goes bad. Heard that the OEM sensor is from Schrader and that is the best to do to replace them. Also found out from a tire dealer in my area that my mechanic took the car to said that as long as there is air when you check with the gauge it is OK
Now there is a tire dealer I want to do business with...
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

36 cold would be way to high and would cause the pressure to exceed 40 when hot and cause a wear problem in the center of the tire not to mention a loss of contact patch with the road. What dealer did you go to I think that would be someone to avoid in the future?

The sidewall shows the maximum pressure that the tire should have and not what the cars manufacturer designates it to be. The cold temp on the C6 corvette is 30psi which will max out at around 34 when the tire is hot.

From the owners manual:

"A Tire and Loading Information label is attached to
the vehicle’s b-pillar. This label lists your vehicle’s
original equipment tires and shows the correct
inflation pressures for your tires when they
are cold. The recommended cold tire inflation
pressure, shown on the label, is the minimum
amount of air pressure needed to support
your vehicle’s maximum load carrying capacity.

Inflation - Tire Pressure
Tires need the correct amount of air pressure to
operate effectively.
Notice: Do not let anyone tell you that
under-inflation or over-inflation is all right. It is
not. If your tires do not have enough air
(under-inflation), you can get the following:
• Too much flexing
• Too much heat
• Tire overloading
• Premature or irregular wear
• Poor handling
• Reduced fuel economy
If your tires have too much air (over-inflation),
you can get the following:
• Unusual wear
• Poor handling
• Rough ride
• Needless damage from road hazards"

Last edited by RJRSW; 07-27-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver display says "Left front tire flat" anyone else?

Quick Reply: Driver display says "Left front tire flat" anyone else?