C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavy spots in the rear and side windows of C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 PM
williamsearcy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wavy spots in the rear and side windows of C6

Does anyone have problems with the wavy spots in the rear and side windows of their C6? The spots are really prominent. I've heard several theories why they show up like they do, but it is really a safety issue at times because of how bad they are on my Vette.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by williamsearcy
Does anyone have problems with the wavy spots in the rear and side windows of their C6? The spots are really prominent. I've heard several theories why they show up like they do, but it is really a safety issue at times because of how bad they are on my Vette.
I would think that the only way you could have 'wavy' spots in the windows is if they are tinted, and badly at that.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Not so. My '05 Vert rear window is pretty close to optically clear; there are no distortions at all that I've ever noticed. My '09 Z06 has plenty of wavy spots in it (I was surprised, to tell the truth). It was really was kind of annoying. Neither has tint.

My theory is: it's a production car, which has a great range of quality from darn- near perfect to almost abysmal on virtually every aspect. It's not a hand-made, massaged, delicate flower, that has coddled every moment of it's creation, before being sold for more than most our net worths.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I had a windshield replaced and the new one had wavy defects as well. It wasn't enough to replace again but I could see them.

I know that regular glass is a liquid and will flow over it's lifetime. Does the safety glass used in cars have similar properties?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had 2 C5Z06s and both had perfect glass all around. I've also had 2 C6 ZR1s and both have had super wavy rear glass. Your 05' vert has a much smaller piece of glass with less bends, like the old C5's. Maybe that's the reason?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

William , are you seeing the spots when you are wearing sun glasses ?

If so the spots you are seeing are " Tempering" marks and are quite normal . its the polarized lenses that make it so obvious , without glasses you should not see it

Sometimes it more noticeable on one car than others and in extreme cases you can see them even without polarized glasses on but its rare

If you are not wearing sunglasses glasses and seeing SPOTS then I don't know what you are seeing because Tempered Glass does not get distortions in it when its bent unless it is an extreme compound bend ( think old 80's style z/28 Camaro hatch window ) so it has to be some sort of staining on the glass (Acid Rain)

A Laminated Windshield will sometimes have distortions in it depending the curve of the glass or if someone " BUFFED" out an imperfection in the glass

Dave
( to many years in the automotive glass field )
Old 08-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

The windows are not optically perfect. Optically perfect glass is very expensive. Also the back window for example you are looking at it in a very steep angle which is the worst for showing optical flaws.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Orion, I have been in the business for a long time and I am here to tell you while they might not be perfect that are darn close to it . You "might" see distortion in a bend in a laminated windshield . Tempered glass is "bent" and RARELY has distortion in it

Go to an new car dealer and tell me how many cars you really see distortion in ......

Dave
( I manage 35 very large auto glass warehouses on the east coast so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about lol)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole

If so the spots you are seeing are " Tempering" marks and are quite normal . its the polarized lenses that make it so obvious , without glasses you should not see it

Sometimes it more noticeable on one car than others and in extreme cases you can see them even without polarized glasses on but its rare

If you are not wearing sunglasses glasses and seeing SPOTS then I don't know what you are seeing because Tempered Glass does not get distortions in it when its bent unless it is an extreme compound bend ( think old 80's style z/28 Camaro hatch window ) so it has to be some sort of staining on the glass (Acid Rain)

A Laminated Windshield will sometimes have distortions in it depending the curve of the glass or if someone " BUFFED" out an imperfection in the glass

Dave

Polarized sunglasses will cause this effect.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Dave
Thanks brother, I didn't know that. I've gotta pay more attention.

Get notified of new replies

To Wavy spots in the rear and side windows of C6

Quick Reply: Wavy spots in the rear and side windows of C6