C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options to fix this water leak?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Options to fix this water leak?

Ok I have noticed the last few times it has rained that I saw water trails running down my passenger kicker panel. Well I ended up tracing it down and I am 95% sure this is the culprit (the rubber weatherstrip). I had my windshield replaced back on 11/18/2014 by Safelite. Is there is anyway I can get them to fix this problem cause I am 100% sure that piece is removed during installation. Also if I am not mistaken this weatherstrip is around $500+ from GM which is RIDICULOUS!! My second option is to use some clear or maybe black rtv silicon which will help a lot, but may look kinda tacky.

Last edited by crAzy; 08-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

It's only been about 9 months since you had it "fixed". I would think they owe you a free repair. Give 'em a call.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
It's only been about 9 months since you had it "fixed". I would think they owe you a free repair. Give 'em a call.
Do they have a 1 year warranty?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Yep they are going to warranty it. Talking to them now. Awesome!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy
Do they have a 1 year warranty?
They have a "Lifetime Warranty", but.......

Safelite® National Lifetime Warranty

Limited Warranty

Automobile glass is warranted against defects in material or workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle in which the glass is installed so long as such defects are brought to the attention of Safelite within 30 days of your discovery of a defect.

Safelite Auto Glass Warranty Exclusions

This warranty does not cover leaks, stress cracks, or related damage in connection with installations to vehicles having damage or rust on the pinch weld. Safelite will use commercially reasonable efforts to advise you of the existence of such damage or rust prior to removal of existing glass; however, it is often not possible to do this. In these cases, Safelite is not responsible for any associated damage. In addition, damage not involving defective workmanship or materials is expressly excluded from coverage under this warranty. In no event shall the manufacturer or vendor be liable for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This Safelite auto glass warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

General

If you have a problem that is covered by this warranty, you may contact any of our stores or phone Toll Free 1-866-212-5457 and we will replace or repair the warranted product or correct the defective workmanship without charge at a mutually agreed upon time. If we are unable to do so, we will refund the original purchase price of your warranted product. In order to exercise your rights under this Safelite warranty, we will require evidence of installation by Safelite, such as a copy of the invoice.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

The lady told me that the weatherstrip is covered since it is separating from the windshield and causing a leak. I have never had any problems with water leaks until after my windshield was replaced. I will find out more tom as I only talked to the company and not their executive department since they are closed.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would figure that a company like Safelite would stand behind their work.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:20 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

If they don't end up covering/fixing it what are my other options? I am still shocked that this seal is $500+. Any write ups on how to replace/fix this seal?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Little update:

Took it into Safelite. They saw the problem. It was a bad seal job on the A-arm weatherstrip so they re-glued it or whatever with the sealant. Tested for leaks. Nothing leaked. It was bad in two places. Hopefully it is fixed. Spent an hour out of my day and $0 out of my pocket. BTW that piece I was talking about is only a cosmetic problem the guy told me. He says that it is actually a bridge for the water to bead out on both sides, down the a-arm and out onto the ground.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Ok I have noticed the last few times it has rained that I saw water trails running down my passenger kicker panel. Well I ended up tracing it down and I am 95% sure this is the culprit (the rubber weatherstrip). I had my windshield replaced back on 11/18/2014 by Safelite. Is there is anyway I can get them to fix this problem cause I am 100% sure that piece is removed during installation. Also if I am not mistaken this weatherstrip is around $500+ from GM which is RIDICULOUS!! My second option is to use some clear or maybe black rtv silicon which will help a lot, but may look kinda tacky.

Have you always had that seam in the targa weatherstripping? None of my C6's have had it.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wayback
Have you always had that seam in the targa weatherstripping? None of my C6's have had it.
I have a Z06. So it is a hardtop.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:59 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Little update:

Took it into Safelite. They saw the problem. It was a bad seal job on the A-arm weatherstrip so they re-glued it or whatever with the sealant. Tested for leaks. Nothing leaked. It was bad in two places. Hopefully it is fixed. Spent an hour out of my day and $0 out of my pocket. BTW that piece I was talking about is only a cosmetic problem the guy told me. He says that it is actually a bridge for the water to bead out on both sides, down the a-arm and out onto the ground.
Mine are starting to rip a little.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wayback
Mine are starting to rip a little.
Mine too on the same side and almost the same amount. It must be something to do with driving it a lot and the heat. The garage queens don't do that.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Mine too on the same side and almost the same amount. It must be something to do with driving it a lot and the heat. The garage queens don't do that.
Yea mine is a daily driver here in the Houston heat.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

don't drive in the rain.simple.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lordofwar
don't drive in the rain.simple.
It is a car. It was built to be able to drive in the rain. Plus it is my only car. In other news it rained pretty hard and long yesterday here at work and my car was outside. Soon as I left work I went to check passenger side floor and feel for water. Nothing. Nice and dry. Looks like Safelite fixed it correctly.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2001 on a road trip had the windshield scratched and replaced at about a year. Almost a year after that, I got a lake behind the passenger seat from driving in heavy rain. Turned out to be a leak on the right side of the A-pillar, running down and back under the sill trim.

Dealer found and fixed it, State Farm pressured the out-of-state windshield shop to cover my costs.

Get notified of new replies

To Options to fix this water leak?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Options to fix this water leak?