C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY unique trunk floor

Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY unique trunk floor

I know this will peek some curiosity and will have some readers scratching their heads asking "why?"
Ill start off explaining the why and get to the how. A little back story first. I recently graduated Auburn University and have been trying to find a good way to introduce two of my favorite things. Corvettes and school pride. The issue is trying to incorporate some Auburn flash into such a beautiful car without having permanent results. My conclusion was to try and make a trunk floor mat look as close to the Auburn basketball floor as possible with a nice big AU in the center. (I attended the grand opening of their new arena) This left me at the local home depot and lowes pricing blonde maple flooring materials. The result was a very steep entry cost on a case of wood that I wasn't entirely confident would work. I settled for a cheaper and mixed color wood that i liked. ~50$

On to the How:
Measure out and print out a rough CAD drawing of the trunk floor. I will try and upload a final dimension-ed out drawing of the wood. I started to wing it as i went.

The template laid out on the wood panels. Starting to lay out what parts of the planks i would want to see.

After getting an idea of what i wanted to do i began to cut the middle planks to the length of the trunk. Working from the middle to the sides allowed me to attempt to keep it symmetrical. For me with the width of the planks I was using it turn out the middle four were all cut to the length of the trunk.

The edge planks were a different story where i attempted to be fancy with some edge tracing. A ruler with a sharpie and highlighter allowed me to write on a piece of paper while following the contour of the side.

A little advice for cutting out the edges. I used a scroll saw that had a very tiny spiral blade that over heated on the think plank and constantly snapped. I took the easy way out and used the table saw to cut as close to the curves as I could. I went back with a sander bit for a drill press to smooth out and round any edges that were square to give it a nice curve look.

Below is last nights end product with a few edges that need to be addressed and curved out.

Finally I finished up all the edges and will in the future put some type of trim on to give it a little more edge (pun intended). Below is all the planks laid out to show how easy they snap together.

In conclusion:
I am looking for ways to get a Auburn logo either pained on or maybe a vinyl sticker. A trim piece for the edges. Some ideas to reduce the sunscreen from sliding around when driving.

And I know if you have read this far you are asking, "How much does this all weigh?"
All the planks added up come in at 16.8lbs.

Hope you enjoyed the write up and dont mind all the typos and grammar errors... Credit goes to my Engineering major

Update 5/27/16 - I have reached out to a buddy of mine and got a vinyl cut to the design i made. It looks better than expected. Best way to get the image on this flooring material.

Potentially will get a thin piece of acrylic or plexiglass to go over the floor to prevent any marring.

Last edited by ppage27; 05-27-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:45 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I'd bet you could get a local graphics company to make you a vinyl decal for those fake Tigers, but the install will be a pain.

In all seriousness I applaud your originality here, and my personal opinion is that if you could get the logo burned or branded into place then seal over it it would look great.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ppage27
I know this will peek some curiosity and will have some readers scratching their heads asking "why?"
Ill start off explaining the why and get to the how. A little back story first. I recently graduated Auburn University and have been trying to find a good way to introduce two of my favorite things. Corvettes and school pride. The issue is trying to incorporate some Auburn flash into such a beautiful car without having permanent results. My conclusion was to try and make a trunk floor mat look as close to the Auburn basketball floor as possible with a nice big AU in the center. (I attended the grand opening of their new arena) This left me at the local home depot and lowes pricing blonde maple flooring materials. The result was a very steep entry cost on a case of wood that I wasn't entirely confident would work. I settled for a cheaper and mixed color wood that i liked. ~50$

On to the How:
Measure out and print out a rough CAD drawing of the trunk floor. I will try and upload a final dimension-ed out drawing of the wood. I started to wing it as i went.

The template laid out on the wood panels. Starting to lay out what parts of the planks i would want to see.

After getting an idea of what i wanted to do i began to cut the middle planks to the length of the trunk. Working from the middle to the sides allowed me to attempt to keep it symmetrical. For me with the width of the planks I was using it turn out the middle four were all cut to the length of the trunk.

The edge planks were a different story where i attempted to be fancy with some edge tracing. A ruler with a sharpie and highlighter allowed me to write on a piece of paper while following the contour of the side.

A little advice for cutting out the edges. I used a scroll saw that had a very tiny spiral blade that over heated on the think plank and constantly snapped. I took the easy way out and used the table saw to cut as close to the curves as I could. I went back with a sander bit for a drill press to smooth out and round any edges that were square to give it a nice curve look.

Below is last nights end product with a few edges that need to be addressed and curved out.

Finally I finished up all the edges and will in the future put some type of trim on to give it a little more edge (pun intended). Below is all the planks laid out to show how easy they snap together.

In conclusion:
I am looking for ways to get a Auburn logo either pained on or maybe a vinyl sticker. A trim piece for the edges. Some ideas to reduce the sunscreen from sliding around when driving.

And I know if you have read this far you are asking, "How much does this all weigh?"
All the planks added up come in at 16.8lbs.

Hope you enjoyed the write up and dont mind all the typos and grammar errors... Credit goes to my Engineering major
As an MSU engineering graduate, I can totally understand ... AU and all ...

Nice job you're doing.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 PM
ZimC6
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sticker

I'll make you the sticker if you want
Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
As an MSU engineering graduate, I can totally understand

Nice job you're doing.
I'm sorry to hear that you had to attend there :P but thanks for the compliment!

Originally Posted by ZimC6
I'll make you the sticker if you want
PM sent

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I'd bet you could get a local graphics company to make you a vinyl decal for those fake Tigers, but the install will be a pain.

In all seriousness I applaud your originality here, and my personal opinion is that if you could get the logo burned or branded into place then seal over it it would look great.
I really like the burn idea but the flooring material i used is just a laminated vinyl top which im sure will just melt. I will attempt on the scraps. Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Very original idea, I love it got me to thinking now to one to look like Owen Field, home of the Oklahoma Sooners.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

OP, you mean pique, not "peek."
Old 08-21-2015, 08:09 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Well isn't that unique and cool: a woodie!

Nice work!

p.s. I went to Vandy and I am not an engineer. Go SEC!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm afraid I've lost my mind. It thought you just installed a laminate floor in the back of your Corvette.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:00 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat

Nice work!

You remember when Fred Smoot (jokingly) told a Vandy receiver he'd let him catch a ball if he'd do his homework for him? Or maybe he wasn't joking ....
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tech
I'm afraid I've lost my mind. It thought you just installed a laminate floor in the back of your Corvette.
No sir, you have been blown away by a crazy idea!

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat

Nice work!

Nice! I had a friend play football there. Thanks

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Very original idea, I love it got me to thinking now to one to look like Owen Field, home of the Oklahoma Sooners.
Do it and post picks. Glad to inspire!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorta gives the Vette that vintage pickup truck feel. What happens when you jamb on the brakes? You SEC guys are deadly serious about your college sports. I took my 69 Mustang to Birmingham, AL back in 2009 for the 45th anniversary celebration for the Mustang at Barber Motorsports Park. Had a great time and Birmingham is a really nice city, but it was the middle of April and the TV sports news was all about the Bama and Auburn football programs. Wow! Everyone must be jonesin' for football in the middle of spring. Well, I'm a graduate of San Jose State University so that probably explains my indifference to college ball, but I can spell.

Last edited by RagTop69; 08-21-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Sorta gives the Vette that vintage pickup truck feel. What happens when you jamb on the brakes? You SEC guys are deadly serious about your college sports. I took my 69 Mustang to Birmingham, AL back in 2009 for the 45th anniversary celebration for the Mustang at Barber Motorsports Park. Had a great time and Birmingham is a really nice city, but it was the middle of April and the TV sports news was all about the Bama and Auburn football programs. Wow! Everyone must be jonesin' for football in the middle of spring. Well, I'm a graduate of San Jose State University so that probably explains my indifference to college ball, but I can spell.
. Ya i haven't worked out all the issues that a laminated floor brings when accelerating and decelerating; but the floor doesn't slide if that was the point of contention. I'm leaning towards the cargo net for stuff that rolls and maybe a simple Velcro strap for anything large. I need to find a way to keep it tidy and convenient. A coworker asked today what I will do about groceries.... Ya, i'm going to need a solution soon!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:07 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Updates to the project!!! See first post!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by sevinn

I could see a purple and gold eye of the tiger happening....
Old 05-28-2016, 12:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Very unique, but you know this won't be complete until you put one of those little desktop basketball hoops at the front edge.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Interesting idea.
The following users liked this post:
ppage27 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM
ppage27
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Very unique, but you know this won't be complete until you put one of those little desktop basketball hoops at the front edge.
omg yes. it would be the cherry on the top. hahaha

Get notified of new replies

To DIY unique trunk floor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY unique trunk floor