C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Lift Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:26 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Garage Lift Recommendations?

Anybody have a 4 post lift they have/would recommend? I have a Kwiklift now and it's not bad, but I'd like to get the car higher and maybe park another underneath...
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I have a "Backyard Buddy" four poster which is about five years old now. 120V motor and it as never failed me. I use it regularly on my '82 and '11. With the height of my ceiling I can go all the way up with those cars and about half way with my wife's M-B ML320. I sit on a wheeled seat to work under that car.

You may already know this but,
- It is very heavy (duh)
- If you do-it-yourself you may have delivery issues. The delivery truck will only go someplace that has a fork lift to unload the boxes. That may be a depot several miles from where you live. Then you will need some way to get it home and several friends to unload and move the parts. In my case I had it delivered to the welding company where my son works. They unloaded it and brought it to my house on one of their trailers. Then I had three big dudes to help assemble it. I also had a couple of heavy duty furniture movers to position it, and a couple of beers for the helpers.
- Not a hard job to assemble, just heavy.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a Bendpak four post. I have owned it for over a year and just now finished the garage enough to have it set up. It seems easy to use but I have only used it twice. I also bought the jack that rolls in the center.

I did have an issue with Bendpak. I hired a professional, Bendpak recommended installer when it was time. When the installer opened the boxes he found they had included the cables for a different lift. When we called Bendpak, they wouldn't exchange the cables. I understood that I had it sitting in my garage for over a year but I was hoping they would take care of me. They didn't and I had to spend another $300 to buy the correct cables. Now I have new cables sitting in my garage that I will never use. Moral of the story is, don't buy until you are ready to assemble.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

For $2000-$2500 there are several good choices. I have an Atlas 8000# 4 posts from Greg Smith. I've had it for 3 years with no issues and would buy one again.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Eagle... had 8 years and love it
Old 09-12-2015, 07:20 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Want this so bad...
Old 09-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a four post lift that I purchased from a local company and love it. Don't forget to get drip pans. I use drip pans plastic, and blankets to protect the car underneath. Even with all the protection I use, my C3 was able to urinate antifreeze on the hood of the car below! I try to stack the car least likely to drip fluids on top.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Which model? Is it wide enough?

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I have a Bendpak four post. I have owned it for over a year and just now finished the garage enough to have it set up. It seems easy to use but I have only used it twice. I also bought the jack that rolls in the center.

I did have an issue with Bendpak. I hired a professional, Bendpak recommended installer when it was time. When the installer opened the boxes he found they had included the cables for a different lift. When we called Bendpak, they wouldn't exchange the cables. I understood that I had it sitting in my garage for over a year but I was hoping they would take care of me. They didn't and I had to spend another $300 to buy the correct cables. Now I have new cables sitting in my garage that I will never use. Moral of the story is, don't buy until you are ready to assemble.
I am about to order the HD-9 (standard size) BendPak. I was going to ask around to see if it is wide enough to comfortably park a Vette under.

I have enough garage space for the wide version, but don't want it if it will be overkill.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 09-12-2015, 09:42 PM
don pablo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
I am about to order the HD-9 (standard size) BendPak. I was going to ask around to see if it is wide enough to comfortably park a Vette under.

I have enough garage space for the wide version, but don't want it if it will be overkill.

Thanks!
Bob
I have had the BendPak HD9 for about a year. I've had no problems with it. Plenty of room for my 2008 on the lift or underneath.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:23 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I Fly Low

Thanks!
Bob
Why did you pick the bendpak? I'm starting to shop and trying to figure out the differences between a number of brands I'm seeing...
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Gemini I bought used. Runs off 110v. Had my truck on for oil change. Works great but wish my garage ceiling was higher. I am at 10 ft and can't raise either vette to the top of lift. Need the garage ceiling to be at least 11 ft to get car up the max. Also had to rework my garage door opener with a side mount and raise the springs.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have a Backyard Buddy (12 years) and a DannMar D-7 (about 8 years old now). Both good lifts.

The DannMar is a little slower to lift than the BB, but the drive-up ramps that come with the DannMar are longer and work better for the Vettes than the ramps that come with the BB which cause the air dams to scrape when driving on the lift. The DannMar ramps fit the BB as well. In a perfect world I would like to find the same DannMar ramps made of aluminum as the longer ramps are heavy.

The front stop/barrier plates are removable on the BB. They are not removable on the DannMar.

I have two hydraulic bridge jacks that work well on the BB, but DannMar does not recommend using these jacks on their lift due to the way the jacking tray slide channel is engineered.

Both lifts have jacking trays. The BB jacking tray uses rollers to slide the length of the ramps but the rollers on the BB tray stick up above the ramps a few inches (the sliding DannMar tray is flush with the ramps but does not use rollers). The BB jacking tray is larger and safer in my opinion.

Both lifts can be moved using the attachable castering wheels. The DannMar wheel system is easier and quicker to use.

Both lifts need to be regularly maintained. Lubricating the cable pulleys and using open wire lube on the cables is a must for longevity.

Having operated these lifts just about everyday for years, a few operational things come to mind. When lowering, sometimes one of the corners will engage it's safety latch on a stop peg or slot, causing the lift to not come down level. This is usually due to not fully holding the lock release lever down while lowering due to distraction, or the safety catches/latches are out of adjustment. The lift will start to groan when this happens, stopping the lift and raising it will bring it back level again. Secondly, if someone is standing next to the lift when you are lowering it, make sure the lift does not come down on their toes (or more hazardous, on their head). Don't let anyone walk under the lift until the lift is down on its safety catches, I see people doing this all the time while I'm raising the lift. Lastly, it is possible to get your fingers caught in the mechanism while lowering even though you need to operate two levers to do so, usually by not wrapping your fingers around the levers and instead letting your fingers stick out straight while you 'palm' rather than grip the levers. These lifts are safe but the operator needs to watch the lift carefully and listen for unusual noises as it is raised and lowered.

Final thought. The thing I pay most attention to around these lifts are when I'm driving a car under the lift with another car on the lift above me (bunking). I watch to make sure I don't catch a mirror or a fender on a post or anything that would cause the lift to shake or move while I'm moving in a car below.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Reverse Logic offers a 4" high 48" long hook-nosed Race Ramp that will work with your BYB lift. It's not aluminum, but, it's lightweight. It is the second option at this link

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...tegory=5024352

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
... In a perfect world I would like to find the same DannMar ramps made of aluminum as the longer ramps are heavy....
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently bought a Challenger Q4P09X, and I am very happy with it. I have 16' ceiling above the lift, so I can get trucks with ladder racks up there all the way. Plus, this lift goes extra high (80" underneath), so its wonderful for winter storage. I can put the lift all the way up with the Vette on it, and still have plenty of room to park my Chevy Silverado underneath. And I don't have to worry about hitting my head.

At first, I thought this lift would be too big, but it is just the right size. Be careful about getting a smaller lift, as you may not be able to fit large cars and/or trucks on it..............

I bought one rolling jack, but might buy another at some point. I have a 'jacking tray', which will hold bottle jack(s), so I can get all four wheels up if needed.

Truck fits easily under (or on) the lift. The Vette (or any car) is very comfy on top:

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 09-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:43 PM
jjbravo1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stick with a pro lift is my advice.

Rotary or BendPak are good...
2 post asymmetrical so you can use it easily for more than storage.

Last edited by jjbravo1; 09-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

I have had a Bendpak HD-9STX for nearly five years. It's the extra long and high model. I have 13' ceilings so I can raise it to nearly 7 feet and put my Avey (w/luggage racks) under it with room to spare. No issues with it at all. Paid $3,800 delivered and another $500 for assembly, something I was not interested in doing since these guys did it in about 2.5 hours and done.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I have had a Bendpak HD-9STX for nearly five years. It's the extra long and high model. I have 13' ceilings so I can raise it to nearly 7 feet and put my Avey (w/luggage racks) under it with room to spare. No issues with it at all. Paid $3,800 delivered and another $500 for assembly, something I was not interested in doing since these guys did it in about 2.5 hours and done.
How well does your C6 fit on the narrow lift? Is there plenty of room?

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Lift Recommendations?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a Direct-Lift with movable jack, it's awesome.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Benwil GPOA7k capacity 2 post.bought it used almost 5 yrs. ago. worked like a champ.I can do anything on this lift.the ultimate tool IMO.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mxw128
How well does your C6 fit on the narrow lift? Is there plenty of room?
PM sent...

Quick Reply: Garage Lift Recommendations?