C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cover recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default Dash cover recommendations?

After my recent trip to Crater Lake NP I've decided to get one. The reflections and glare going into and out of the sun and shaded roadways is just too potentially hazardous, especially in the twisties. I'm actually blind for a moment and sometimes longer. I try looking thru the shadow opening for the HUD but that's not always possible or rewarding. It's scary! Looking online for some covers I see that they come in carpet style, velour, suede and something called poly vinyl. Some, specifically mention reflection and glare reduction and some don't. Some are huge, draping down towards the top of the glove box for example and another is more of just a top piece, more to my liking, not that I like the idea of a cover but I've got to reduce that blinding glare. Anyone use one of these? I don't like the idea of a carpet piece up there so is suede or velour just as reflective? They're offered in many colors but black seems to be the one for the best reflective benefits right?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TerryL
After my recent trip to Crater Lake NP I've decided to get one. The reflections and glare going into and out of the sun and shaded roadways is just too potentially hazardous, especially in the twisties. I'm actually blind for a moment and sometimes longer. I try looking thru the shadow opening for the HUD but that's not always possible or rewarding. It's scary! Looking online for some covers I see that they come in carpet style, velour, suede and something called poly vinyl. Some, specifically mention reflection and glare reduction and some don't. Some are huge, draping down towards the top of the glove box for example and another is more of just a top piece, more to my liking, not that I like the idea of a cover but I've got to reduce that blinding glare. Anyone use one of these? I don't like the idea of a carpet piece up there so is suede or velour just as reflective? They're offered in many colors but black seems to be the one for the best reflective benefits right?
I too had a problem with dash reflections. I initially bought the carpet style and while it reduced the reflections significantly, it still had some remaining because of the carpet fibers being the glossy synthetic material. After more research, I purchased a velour cover. It cut the reflections a bit more, but the construction, attachment method, and visual appearance was more than I could live with. I went back to the carpet and although it's not the most ideal, I've accepted the compromise for the last 120K miles.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I live in a desert & have dash mats in all our vehicles for the same reason, as well as to protect the dash. Tried a few different ones, but the ones I've found to work & look the best are the SuedeMat from Dashmat.

Here's the link: http://www.dashmat.com/products/suedemat.html
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

What dressing are you using on your dash that can be causing that much hate and discontent?

My '05 is a bit more reflective than my '09, which is not at all. Neither have caused a problem whatsoever, and I sure as heck would never consider a carpet dash overlay.

Smacks of **** carpeting on a conversion van.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I use 303 aerospace on my dash. It is not shiny or greasy; just a clean look finish.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by owc6
What dressing are you using on your dash that can be causing that much hate and discontent?

My '05 is a bit more reflective than my '09, which is not at all. Neither have caused a problem whatsoever, and I sure as heck would never consider a carpet dash overlay.

Smacks of **** carpeting on a conversion van.
The road to Crater Lake is narrow, very twisty, with no guard rails and thousand foot drops off the edge of the road. A dash cover would be helpful.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Welker1
I live in a desert & have dash mats in all our vehicles for the same reason, as well as to protect the dash. Tried a few different ones, but the ones I've found to work & look the best are the SuedeMat from Dashmat.

Here's the link: http://www.dashmat.com/products/suedemat.html
I looked into that one but their shipping date is a MONTH away! Ridiculous. They must wait until there are enough orders for a production run before they make them...
Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JerryC5
The road to Crater Lake is narrow, very twisty, with no guard rails and thousand foot drops off the edge of the road. A dash cover would be helpful.
Agree. All the roads surrounding Crater are tree lined two lanes and in the afternoon heading south and west the sun, in and out of the 'tree tunnels' make it too risky with so much glare.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but have you tried polarized glasses? Good ones can make a big difference.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:49 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tmryann
I use 303 aerospace on my dash. It is not shiny or greasy; just a clean look finish.

Never had a problem with glare using 303. Great stuff!

BTW: I drove Crater Lake on a sunny day with no problems...
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The blue velour one in my Caprice is rather reflective.
Polarized glasses work for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cover recommendations?

Quick Reply: Dash cover recommendations?