C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boiling over.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Cyber Grey
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boiling over.

Having trouble finding my boiling over problem. Coming out of the over flow tank. Towed it to service and they had it for two days. Replaced thermo stat and they said everything is ok. Took it for a drive next weekend and over heated again coming out of the over flow tank. Towed it back to service. They had it for three days and they still say it's fine. They tested the fan and pressure. Can't find a thing that's wrong. They let it idle for awhile and took it for drive but can't replicate the problem.

Any body out there have the same problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It sounds to me like you may have :

(1) drained and flushed the cooling system and you now have a air pocket. If this is the case, you need to expel that air pocket. I can point you in the right direction or you can look at the various threads here regarding this issue.

(2) If that is not the case, I would check the fan switch connector --- it is located on the passenger side of the fan about midway. it is a three prong connector that the middle prong tends to melt and short out -- disconnect it and inspect.

these are two of the most common culprits --- if neither of these are you problem let us know and we will go farther. I suspect (1) is your issue.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 AM
C6topless
Pro

by the way, you might post where you are located -- if you are close to me I am more than willing to help you in person as are many other on here.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:11 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Remove air intake and radiator cover. Inspect the area between condenser and radiator for blockage. I have found a whole plastic ice bag complete with draw string in there. I made a wand to flush them out, do it every spring.
Gl
The following users liked this post:
HBsurfer (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

This may sound odd, maybe even stupid, but, if not already done, check the radiator cap. When I owned my Callaway, I started having an overheating problem. Took it to 3 different shops & they couldn't find the problem. I finally talked to a good a friend & he suggested that the cap might not be sealing correctly & to replace it. Replaced it and never had a problem again ...
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wayback
Remove air intake and radiator cover. Inspect the area between condenser and radiator for blockage. I have found a whole plastic ice bag complete with draw string in there. I made a wand to flush them out, do it every spring.
Gl
Now that's a new one on me! Never heard of that before!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Aramis76
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine boiled once because the temp sensor was faulty. Normally when they fail it sends completely false data like 0 or 999 but mine was reading 20 degrees celcius too low. This cause the cooling fan to not turn on.
Maybe check that sensor?

Also, a mechanic suggested a possible leak in the head gasket. This could cause piston compression to increase pressure in the cooling system causing the overflow to puke out coolant. It wouldn't boil, but it would look the same.

Hope it's the first! Easier to change compared to a head gasket.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Hameister
Now that's a new one on me! Never heard of that before!
Our bottom feeders are like Hoovers....suck up everything on the road. I made a wand to flush evert hung out.
90 degree shutoff adapter,garden hose female to 1/2 in copper compression fitting and a 2ft piece of 1/2 soft copper bent at 90 degrees. Crimped the bent end of copper so water sprays out with some force.

The following users liked this post:
Hameister (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gl
This would be my first guess. Mine was clogged up with cut grass and leaves from driving onto too many show and cruise in fields and I never won any plastic trophies. It's amazing what these things suck up into that space !
My other suggestion is to remove the radiator cap, start the engine and turn the heater all the way up with the fan on high and see if there's air in the lines somewhere. You may see bubbles coming from the radiator if that's the problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 AM
pfic06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it does overheat, is the fan running and the temp gage show high, that suggest the electronics are doing their job. If not, then as other post suggested, look at the fan circuits. Otherwise as others have posted, look for obstructions to the fan and/of air in system.
Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

All good potential ideas above. You may want to not only post up your location (staying anonymously-addressed is one thing but...), and you may also want to make a list of the potential causes outlined above and ask the Service Advisor each one for being inspected and done. After all, you're paying/paid for it.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Gl
Thx for the tip WB. Haven't had a problem yet but will check that out today.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the water pump. I have witnessed water pumps that simply no longer pump enough to do the job. This would come with rusty coolant most likely. Please let us know what you find.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 PM
C6topless
Pro

I totally forgot about how our corvettes act as street cleaners and suck everything up from the road. I bought from harbor freight a 18 inch air wand for about 3 dollars that is perfect for removing debris between the radiator and condenser.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
I totally forgot about how our corvettes act as street cleaners and suck everything up from the road. I bought from harbor freight a 18 inch air wand for about 3 dollars that is perfect for removing debris between the radiator and condenser.
Me too
NSF
Old 09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Our bottom feeders are like Hoovers....suck up everything on the road. I made a wand to flush evert hung out.
90 degree shutoff adapter,garden hose female to 1/2 in copper compression fitting and a 2ft piece of 1/2 soft copper bent at 90 degrees. Crimped the bent end of copper so water sprays out with some force.
Thanks, very helpful post!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Gl
Thanks Wayback. I was not having any problems but after reading your post, I took a look and I think I may have used my car as a street sweeper at some point. What a mess. All clean now.

Get notified of new replies

To Boiling over.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugged T

Check the line from the top of the overflow tank to the far side of the radiator. There is an innocent looking T connector that goes to the head. Do not try to take the hose off the T because it will break easily. The T has a very small vent hole in it going to the head that can easily plug up with rust and cause overheating. Replacement cost for the hose assembly $90 but the result was worth it.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 PM
C6topless
Pro

Originally Posted by MP35N
Check the line from the top of the overflow tank to the far side of the radiator. There is an innocent looking T connector that goes to the head. Do not try to take the hose off the T because it will break easily. The T has a very small vent hole in it going to the head that can easily plug up with rust and cause overheating. Replacement cost for the hose assembly $90 but the result was worth it.
if it is the T connection - you can simply replace the T with a generic one from pepboys for about $2 dollars. I suspect it is not your problem as you say the overflow is boiling.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Cyber Grey
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well thanks every one.

It was the cap giving me the problem.
Also I told them to put that electrical grease on fan connector.

I drove it tonight around the city with stop and go traffic for. three hours.

HUD in track mode to watch water temperature all good.

Also with this post some of us learnt a few cleaning techniques and various things.

So I am glad I ask this question got great suggestions.

So a BIG THANKS to the corvette forum. Saved me $$$$$ also.

A $ 28.00 cap the culprit. ��

Quick Reply: Boiling over.