C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Recall #14717

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:14 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I hear ya Dano (and I respect your vast knowledge), but in my particular case, this repair did seem to help my shifting issues so far (I'm now 3 days after the change).

On the way home last night, I had the unusual lucky opportunity to get in 3 different 6k +/- RPM shifts from 2nd to 3rd, and I had no shifting issues whatsoever. Before the change, if I did it 3 times in a row like this, the petal would most likely stay to the floor on the 2nd or third attempt, and it would be hard to get into 3rd gear in general.

I doubt the dealership would have adjusted anything else during this replacement (like adjust/lube the shift linkage, etc.), but the entire shifting process is smoother/easier for high RPM shifting now.

As a fyi, in the old setup, I also had fairly fresh fluid. I would change it about twice year, and it stayed pretty clean between changes. It had recently been changed about a month before I got my letter.

Time will tell if my good shifting fortune will continue, I hope so

This is what I wanted to hear.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 PM
BowtieBilly1121
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I hear ya Dano (and I respect your vast knowledge), but in my particular case, this repair did seem to help my shifting issues so far (I'm now 3 days after the change).

On the way home last night, I had the unusual lucky opportunity to get in 3 different 6k +/- RPM shifts from 2nd to 3rd, and I had no shifting issues whatsoever. Before the change, if I did it 3 times in a row like this, the petal would most likely stay to the floor on the 2nd or third attempt, and it would be hard to get into 3rd gear in general.

I doubt the dealership would have adjusted anything else during this replacement (like adjust/lube the shift linkage, etc.), but the entire shifting process is smoother/easier for high RPM shifting now.

As a fyi, in the old setup, I also had fairly fresh fluid. I would change it about twice year, and it stayed pretty clean between changes. It had recently been changed about a month before I got my letter.

Time will tell if my good shifting fortune will continue, I hope so
If you don't mind me asking how long did the dealer keep your Corvette?
The reason I ask is I have been told that I would have bring my car in and right now it was a day & a half to two days wait in line.Then they would check it and if need order the new part,was told I would be looking a week to a week and a half.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM
vettewheels123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BowtieBilly1121
Then they would check it and if need order the new part,was told I would be looking a week to a week and a half.
As in, they have to thrash your car and thoroughly "ROAD TEST" it to make sure you have the sticking clutch.

Pfffft I'll take the parts and do it myself.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DinkyDonut
I have some experience with this recall, as it just affected me.

I was 400 miles away from home, at the Petit Le Mans race. I drove my 2013 427 down there; the car had 7,520 miles on it when I came back to it and found the clutch pedal stuck to the floor by means of the pedal spring. The car has never been raced, launched hard, or abused in any kind of way -- I have other cars that I don't baby. To my knowledge, except for the engine oil, the car still has factory fluids in it.

I parked it in a mall parking lot trying to find some dry socks and a rain jacket at REI, and when I came back out it had happened. The pedal was sitting on the floor. There were no warnings nor signs of any kind that the master cylinder was going out.

The local dealership took care of everything, free of charge, on a Saturday with a full schedule. They found the clutch master cylinder to be the only thing wrong with the car, GM covered it, and I didn't have to fill out any paperwork. They also told me that no amount of crazy driving could have broken the master cylinder in the way that they found it.

To say that I was, and still am, amazed and impressed is an understatement. Here's to Chris Lindamood and Michael Breslin of Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Duluth, GA.
At the point you found the pedal at the floor were you able to manipulate it some way to drive it or was it completely useless requiring a tow?
Thanks, Rob.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BowtieBilly1121
If you don't mind me asking how long did the dealer keep your Corvette?
The reason I ask is I have been told that I would have bring my car in and right now it was a day & a half to two days wait in line.Then they would check it and if need order the new part,was told I would be looking a week to a week and a half.
They only kept mine the one day for this. I dropped it off at 7:30 am in the morning, they took it right in, and they called me about 3 pm saying it was done. Having said that, I had called them a week prior, and told them to be sure they had all the parts before they scheduled my visit.

Jon Hall Chevrolet (here in Daytona Beach) is one of the larger vette dealers in the world, so they pretty much have their act together, at least on all service they have done for me.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This exact same thing happened to me on my new GS with 1500 miles on it. It was not able to be driven so had it taken to dealer. Dealer said I must have put something in clutch fluid to contaminate it. I told them I did absolutely nothing of the kind. They ended replacing all plastic and rubber parts in the clutch system.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:49 AM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 99
At the point you found the pedal at the floor were you able to manipulate it some way to drive it or was it completely useless requiring a tow?
Thanks, Rob.
It was completely useless. Due to the mechanical spring pressure on the pedal I could flip it back and forth, but it felt like zero hydraulic pressure. Operating the clutch was impossible.

The car got flatbedded to a local Hendrick dealership, who took care of everything the next day. I verified that they had indeed replaced the parts as described in the letter, eg. fluid container.
The following users liked this post:
Richard F (03-11-2017)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Amzing that GM supports the C6 like this 10yrs after intro

You would NEVER see this warranty extension on a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche; they would deny, deflect and delay til kingdom come.

Many have essentially glass clutches and you will see on ebay ads just changed clutch or "50% clutch life left" printout on a car with 10K miles....
Old 10-09-2015, 01:39 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC

You would NEVER see this warranty extension on a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche; they would deny, deflect and delay til kingdom come.

Many have essentially glass clutches and you will see on ebay ads just changed clutch or "50% clutch life left" printout on a car with 10K miles....
Yeah, this is all well and good, but it's the gas tank/fuel pump issue that has me more concerned.....
Mike
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Just got my letter today.

For that peace of mind I had my fluid flushed when I had my long tubes installed 4 months ago. Even though the dealer would have done it for free, it was already at a shop.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC

I agree, perfect timing for some I'm sure
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DinkyDonut
It was completely useless. Due to the mechanical spring pressure on the pedal I could flip it back and forth, but it felt like zero hydraulic pressure. Operating the clutch was impossible.

The car got flatbedded to a local Hendrick dealership, who took care of everything the next day. I verified that they had indeed replaced the parts as described in the letter, eg. fluid container.
Thanks for the reply and what's amazing I (or any of us) could break down maybe hundreds of miles from home and inconvenienced weather its a long trip or just local before the known problem would be repaired. so much for any confidence with this car
Old 10-09-2015, 10:08 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default rrrr

I have a suggestion to all that need to take their car in, is make an appointment. Why? the transmission department could be busy and your car will just sit there waiting in line to be next and they can order the parts ahead of time, so you won't have to leave your car there for a week like I had too. The clutch works great now also came with new lines and a new reservoir and new cap that says dot 4. the clutch is a lot easier to push in and it seems to return quicker also seems to grip better and faster, so it does feel better

Last edited by yellowmnm; 10-09-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Rob 99;1590664303]Thanks for the reply and what's amazing I (or any of us) could break down maybe hundreds of miles from home and inconvenienced weather its a long trip or just local before the known problem would be repaired. so much for any confidence with this car [/QUOTE
IMO I think if you drive your car hard like I do sometimes that's when it rears it's ugly head! So time will tell how good this fix really is? Fingers crossed
I agree with you if this doesn't work I will put the Tick master cylinder in, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Last edited by yellowmnm; 10-09-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I did that "Ranger" method many times. I bought a lift so that I can wax the bottom of my car and had all the suspension parts powder coated in clear, so maintenance practices exceed requirements. I ran a stock Vega 100,000 miles in the 70's with no issues, so I have a long history of understanding the importance of vehicle maintenance.

GM needs me more than I need them.
Yep. Have had an ongoing bad experience with GM over my Cadillac and will be buying an F150 instead of a GMC. The only way GM is going to learn their lesson is when people stop buying their products. I'm happy to do my part to educate them at this point.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
Yep. Have had an ongoing bad experience with GM over my Cadillac and will be buying an F150 instead of a GMC. The only way GM is going to learn their lesson is when people stop buying their products. I'm happy to do my part to educate them at this point.
As they say, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. We have had so much bother/recalls/TSB's on our Ford Escape that Ford is a one and done for us...first and last Ford in our garage.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
As they say, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. We have had so much bother/recalls/TSB's on our Ford Escape that Ford is a one and done for us...first and last Ford in our garage.
Our 2010 Escape was a steaming pile of $h!t. Final straw was when the rear quarter panels were rusting through at three years old (known issue after talking to several body shops) and less than 20k miles. There's a Buick in the garage now.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Recall #14717

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM
russlansky
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch recall letter

I paid $1000 to get this fixed and have been using the ranger method ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
clutch recall.pdf (69.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Called the dealer on this issue indicating some time ago I experienced the clutch sticking to floor..He say's bring it in and the tech has a procedure to determine if my car is covered in the letter. Anyone know of this procedure or is he blowing smoke?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Called the dealer on this issue indicating some time ago I experienced the clutch sticking to floor..He say's bring it in and the tech has a procedure to determine if my car is covered in the letter. Anyone know of this procedure or is he blowing smoke?
I'm thinking if such a procedure actually existed the GM notice letter would have so stated. Further, based on the manner in which the clutch is malfunctioning, how does one recreate the identical condition?

The dealer's Vette tech replaced my master cylinder Friday. At no time was there any mention of an ops check to determine condition of the clutch hydraulics.

Would be interesting to know what the check consists of and what the pass/fail criteria is.

I think your dealer is feeding you a line of unadulterated bs.

Quick Reply: Clutch Recall #14717