C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boxter S= castrated 911
M3=if you like to conform and your just another BMW. How many did you see today?
C6= I'm 10 years old and was asked to be in Supercar Saturday yesterday.

Take your pick.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 PM
clekchaum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i was in the same position, test drove all of them and chose a supercharged grand sport. best decision i have made in awhile.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default My choices among these

A. Best pure sports car bang for the buck; handling, braking, the Boxster

B. Best in the "driving in a vault" solid feeling and most likely to cost
you a briefcase full of money to maintain/fix, M3

C. Best "bang for the buck" to drive, own, maintain and mod, good ole C6
Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well heck ya i'm still talking and since now both of us seem to be "Un-Confused".....lOL.....now answer the question so we can get an idea on your bias/non bias or what kind of taste you have in vehicles. Which do you think looks best....our beloved C-6's....or an Aston Martin Vanquish. In your opinion of course...
Wait let me help you guys make that decision:

Aston Martin Vanquish:Rich spoon fed kids car costing 100 to 250k +

Corvette GrandSport: Real mans car: 45k to 70k (You could buy 2 to 3 Vettes for the price of one lame Aston. )

Last edited by Cor430vette; 10-04-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Given that your young professional northeaster....I will assume ur suffering from standard Euro car status affluenza

I was in same boat in early 90s when I worked in NYC and bought a used '85 BMW M6, had a porsche 356B as a weeknd car and even a project/beater '68 250 SL Benz (still have, now concours condition/six figures)

I always wanted a C4 and never got one; having ice cold american car a/c, a warranty and cheap GM parts bin parts looked good after spending min $1000/yr on the BMW for OEM and Bosch service parts

Trust me euro sports cars become low Status cars as all your money goes to service and your taking dates to drive thru mcdonalds

The boxster has a "change engine" light for a reason; google it

M3s are just like my M6; service gluttons

C6 (esp one still in a GM 3-7yr extended warranty) is worth it's weight in resale value: you can get in at $20-25K and out at $10-15K

All Boxsters end up $5K...see ebay sales

M3s you won't make money even if you get car for free

Get the C6...the trunk fits 10 extra large Home Depot moving boxes flat...when you get married / move !

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 10-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the ***-obtaining ability of Vettes cannot be underestimated v. those dentist cars

See avatar
Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Also, the ***-obtaining ability of Vettes cannot be underestimated v. those dentist cars

See avatar

It's kinda flat.

This is what it should look like:

Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a Porsche guy, full disclosure... THe Boxster Has the best cloth top in the business. By far... But that said, I would never buy an S older than an 09. The earlier units have an IMS issue that is catastrophic when it goes....

The BMW is a solid car and all, but the repair bills on them make the Porsche "reasonable"...

A vette is a vette is a vette... You will have cheaper plastic bits in the interior. You will have to make a choice to live with it or not...

I am now back in a vette, for the first time in 9 years... C6... Grandsport... Loving it... But having owned BMWs and Porsches, I know what I am missing, and what I am not...
Mike

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on the following cars Corvette C6 (2008-2012), BMW M3 (09), and and Boxster S (07-09). Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I would have to test drive all three to see if I like it. I like Corvettes a lot ever since I was a kid at 3 years old. BMW M3 seems like a great car and also the Boxster S. But I'm just not sure if they're really me. The car chooses the driver.

I know the C6 has the worse interior. The BMW M3 seems kind of heavy at 3800lbs and the Porsche Boxster S might not be a good fit in New England snow weather. For anyone with a convertible with a lot of snow, how does the top hold up? I don't have a garage anyone asking.

The C6 I'm referring to is the base model with manual transmission. The auto from what I hear is slow to react. The dct in the M3 and the PDK from what I hear are great auto transmissions.

I don't have any children. I'm single right now so four doors are not necessary at the moment. They're all priced within a grand of one another. The biggest question which one puts the biggest smile on my face?

So with that said, any opinions on the three cars?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I am a Porsche guy, full disclosure... THe Boxster Has the best cloth top in the business. By far... But that said, I would never buy an S older than an 09. The earlier units have an IMS issue that is catastrophic when it goes....

The BMW is a solid car and all, but the repair bills on them make the Porsche "reasonable"...

A vette is a vette is a vette... You will have cheaper plastic bits in the interior. You will have to make a choice to live with it or not...

I am now back in a vette, for the first time in 9 years... C6... Grandsport... Loving it... But having owned BMWs and Porsches, I know what I am missing, and what I am not...
Mike
A vette is a vette is a vette???
Well, there you have it....proof be told a Porsche guy/gal, and what does he/she care about? cloth tops and interior (and they actually miss that) ... .... I mean, I guess if cloth tops and interior are more important to you then raw HP and Torque, performance, reliability, and the most aggressive looking car on the road.....then your a porsche guy alright.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 10-04-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:22 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It is hard to tell which end of the Boxster is the front. M3 is better, I forgot what engine they had back in 09, expensive to repair though and a 6 year old car will need repairs.

C6 will also but the C6 didn't change much from 08 to 13. Besides the looks are definitely better.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Leon.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I know the C6 has the worse interior. The BMW M3 seems kind of heavy at 3800lbs and the Porsche Boxster S might not be a good fit in New England snow weather. For anyone with a convertible with a lot of snow, how does the top hold up? I don't have a garage anyone asking.
None of those cars are ideal for your situation, no garage and winter use in NE. You are going to have more head ache's than smiles.

You should pick a car that will put a smile on your face and have no issues in the winter or being garaged.

My choices (in no particular order)
- Audi S4
- Subaru STI
- VW Golf R

The performance and fun factor of the above cars are comparable to your choices, with the added benefit of AWD.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon.
None of those cars are ideal for your situation, no garage and winter use in NE. You are going to have more head ache's than smiles.

You should pick a car that will put a smile on your face and have no issues in the winter or being garaged.

My choices (in no particular order)
- Audi S4
- Subaru STI
- VW Golf R

The performance and fun factor of the above cars are comparable to your choices, with the added benefit of AWD.
I'm not sure how much fun a 4 banger is!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Long before I owned a Vette of any kind a friend of mine bought a new Boxter. It was a nice little $52K car that bore a strong resemblance to a Miata and a Porsche Speedster cross mating. Everyone has always referred to the Boxter as "the Porsche with panties". The M3 is a four door sedan. What else needs to be said about that? Buy the C6.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Leon.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db2012gs
I'm not sure how much fun a 4 banger is!
Just stay in boost. In all seriousness, no RWD sports car with low ground clearance will do well in the snow, regardless of what snow tires you put on. Doable sure, but why put yourself through the trouble when you have more practical options that are fun too.

If he had a garage or a winter storage, i would suggest a C6 + Cherokee XJ 4WD winter beater in a heart beat.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
A. Best pure sports car bang for the buck; handling, braking, the Boxster

B. Best in the "driving in a vault" solid feeling and most likely to cost
you a briefcase full of money to maintain/fix, M3

C. Best "bang for the buck" to drive, own, maintain and mod, good ole C6
Well said! I owned a Boxster s for 7 years loved the car I sold it out of fear of the IMS failure which for the record was corrected in 06'. This was a great car and frankly I was going to buy a 911 before I bought my C6 but I just couldn't justify the price of an 06' or newer model so I settled on the Vert and I have learned to love the car!

Nothing handles like a Boxster it's on rails but the power of a vette will put the smile on your face that you are looking for!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You clearly didnt see his original post.. I provided a perspective from someone who has owned all three marques, worked on all of them, and drove each of them on roadcourses around the region while TEACHING others how to go fast...

And for the record, I owned a 670HP Porsche 996TT that spanked a lot of vettes. What did I just buy last Friday? A 2012 Grandsport M6... And I stand by my comments. You see lots of corvettes in traffic around my parts. They dont stand out because a Vette is a Vette is a Vette... And all that HP and Torque is wonderful only if you know how to use it...

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
A vette is a vette is a vette???
Well, there you have it....proof be told a Porsche guy/gal, and what does he/she care about? cloth tops and interior (and they actually miss that) ... .... I mean, I guess if cloth tops and interior are more important to you then raw HP and Torque, performance, reliability, and the most aggressive looking car on the road.....then your a porsche guy alright.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mikelly
You clearly didnt see his original post.. I provided a perspective from someone who has owned all three marques, worked on all of them, and drove each of them on roadcourses around the region while TEACHING others how to go fast...

And for the record, I owned a 670HP Porsche 996TT that spanked a lot of vettes. What did I just buy last Friday? A 2012 Grandsport M6... And I stand by my comments. You see lots of corvettes in traffic around my parts. They dont stand out because a Vette is a Vette is a Vette... And all that HP and Torque is wonderful only if you know how to use it...
So why did you buy a Vette then? If your a "Porsche guy" , and you think the Vette is boring and common, their interior sucks, and you used to "spank" them implying they lack performance versus a Porsche? I am only asking since this is what you said in your posts and of course it will help provide a perspective to the OP. .....

Last edited by Cor430vette; 10-05-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Wait let me help you guys make that decision:

Aston Martin Vanquish:Rich spoon fed kids car costing 100 to 250k +

Corvette GrandSport: Real mans car: 45k to 70k (You could buy 2 to 3 Vettes for the price of one lame Aston. )

If I had unlimited funds with which to buy a car and maintain it, I'd go for the Aston-Martin. That's a beautiful car, better looking than our C6's in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bruze

It's kinda flat.

This is what it should look like:

Good Gawd. That's overdesign if I've ever seen it.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:45 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
...Beemers are for yuppies...
FYI, "Beemers" are motorcycles. Bimmers are for yuppies, or anyone else who may want them.

Originally Posted by Bruze
Proper spelling is manly, too...it's "Boxster" and "women's". < Should be "woman's" (singular.)
You are correct, sir. Got me...

Originally Posted by db2012gs
...I don't care how good they perform, I can't get over the looks!
This is exactly what I always say when people ask me why I can't stand C5s or C7s.

Originally Posted by JoshBarber
...the Boxster is not a 911.
No, it's not. The Boxster has less power and better balance than the 911.

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Boxsters, and Miata's are driven by gals.
So are Hellcats, Z06s, and whatever you're driving. What's your point? Are you so insecure in your own sexuality that you're going to sell your car and ride the bus simply because someone without a y chromosome drives the same car as you? I just finished reading the October issue of R&T, wherein Peter Egan's column was expounding on the appeal/virtues of Miatas and talked about how many of his male friends own and race them. Who cares if women also appreciate them? Jeez...are you guys ten years old, or what?

...the ***-obtaining ability of Vettes cannot be underestimated...
It's a popular misconception that Corvettes attract women. The actual truth is, Corvettes attract men who hope that Corvettes attract women.

...See avatar
OK, I can agree with this recommendation...Avatar is easily the best SF movie since Blade Runner!

Quick Reply: Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?